Do you really come back 10lbs heavier???

From what I'm reading in THIS thread, everybody on cruises always take the stairs up (and down, I assume). If that's the case, how come the elevators are always slow in coming and crowded when they arrive?:confused:

...or is this just a clever plot by veteran CC'ers to free those elevators up for themselves...? Hmmmm.......;)

That's a good one!:D In fact, I actually started taking the stairs because I was so tired of waiting for those elevators that were always full anyway:p After a while, I just said the heck with it and if I was going the most 3 decks, I took the stairs.

The food is so bad, there's no worry of overeating IMHO.

We use the stairs occassionaly and walk everywhere in ports. Eat what looks good and only if it TASTES good too. A few years ago I had to break myself of the 'finish your plate' snydrome (thanks mom!).

I gained 4 pounds and it showed up a week after the cruise. Real weight gain doesn't show up very fast, if you're too plump for your clothes on the way home, that's water weight.

The food is so bad, there's no worry of overeating IMHO.

We use the stairs occassionaly and walk everywhere in ports. Eat what looks good and only if it TASTES good too. A few years ago I had to break myself of the 'finish your plate' snydrome (thanks mom!).

I gained 4 pounds and it showed up a week after the cruise. Real weight gain doesn't show up very fast, if you're too plump for your clothes on the way home, that's water weight.

I agree it must be water weight because I lost it way too fast after I got home. So don't worry, be happy. ENJOY!

I've never had a problem with gaining weight. I'm about 119 pounds and 5'10 1/2. My weight is usually around 110-124. I've always had a pretty good metabolism. But, I do make healthier choices since I'm part vegetarian. I don't eat fish, chicken, ribs, or any kind of meat. I'll eat dairy products such as cheese or milk.

For Breakfast I have a couple of those hashbrowns dipped in ketchup. They are really good and light. I have an orange juice and a big plate of fruits. Sometimes I'll have a bagel or a muffin roll.

Lunch time there seems to be a lot of meat. I always make up my favorite salad at the salad bar. Then, I have some spaghetti or noodles. The drink is usually lemonade. Then, I might try a few small portions of a pickle or maybe some stir fryed rice.

Dinner I would have a salad, a soup, and the vegetarian meal.

So, you can sorta tell that I like to eat healthy. Basically, learn to eat healthier items mainly and if you want a dessert then share it. If you want to try a hamburger, then have one bite. It's a buffet style most of the time and just eat in small portions.

I exercise on cardio at home and I lift weights. I also try to do it everyday on the cruise ship too. I find exercising fun. I've been exercising for 5 years now. I usually end up staying the same weight on a cruise or maybe losing a pound. I take the stairs too about 90% of the time. I enjoy exercise. :) Then, it's fun and cruises are great. :D

I should only be so lucky as CruiseAwayWithMe and never gain weight. :D

Since there are very few foods I don't like, I have a tendency to enjoy anything put in front of me. I've learned over the years to avoid the midnight buffett, eating anything really late in the evening, and to exercise in the gym on sea days. We just finished up the Vision Member Cruise and I lost two lbs! :D

I lost half a pound on the last cruise and that was despite not passing up on wine, desserts, snacks, pizza, cookies, etc! I always had fruit for breakfast and a salad for lunch and a full dinner. Hubby and I climb the stairs even when it's 10 flights up!! :eek: We participate in the ShipShape program (morning stretch, walk a mile, etc.) collect those ShipShape $$$ and try to leave each cruise with a Tshirt or towel. We love to do the active excursions as others have mentioned: snorkel, kayak, climbing Dunn's River Falls, etc. I can easily say I am more active on a cruise than at home for the added walking and the active excursions. We love RCI for all the sports-type activities and ShipShape program!

Rose

I have never gained on a cruise, well okay one time 4 lbs on a 7 night but never true weight gain other than that one time and then I learned the tricks,

1) dont eat constantly, and eat lots of salads, nibble other things to get a taste of them but does not mean you have to be a pig.

2) use the stairs as much as possible and if not dressed up, try running up them sometimes.

3) limit desserts - easy for me cause I am not big on the desserts anyway.

4) limit breads - if you are not having pasta or other carbs with dinner, then okay have bread but if you are having pasta or potatoes, limit the bread.

5) I have what I want and enjoy it, but do so in limited amounts. Good thing I love soups and salads more than anything else they serve on the ship.

I have watched people leave breakfast in the dining room and then see them in the buffet line in the Windjammer for more breakfast, while I was looking for someone in my party. I have see people get up from late dinner seating at 10pm and then see them in line at the midnight buffet. It is their choice, not saying it is wrong, just this is a sure fire way to gain 10 lbs. Use common sense. Also, a lot of weight gained is fluid weight, the food has a lot of salt in it, especially when you dont add salt to anything at home. I have left the ship on Sunday 11 lbs heavier and then by Tuesday that 11lbs be gone along with a couple more lbs. Just pop my lasix and off it goes so I know it is pure water retention.

This cruise might be different, with this thing on my foot, using stairs is not much of an option, so I have a feeling I will gain this time!

We always take the stairs - always. It's our rule. It's brutal sometimes! We don't usually put on too much. But, having late seating sure does mess with my system!

I do have a red formal dress - it's a vavoom dress. I have to wear it the first formal night or it's a no go - it's kinda form fitting and by the 2nd formal night I'm not comfortable in it.

We always take the stairs - always. It's our rule. It's brutal sometimes! We don't usually put on too much. But, having late seating sure does mess with my system!

I do have a red formal dress - it's a vavoom dress. I have to wear it the first formal night or it's a no go - it's kinda form fitting and by the 2nd formal night I'm not comfortable in it.

This is exactly me! And I too always have a dress I have to wear on the first formal night because I know it won't work on the second.

I retain water on a cruise something fierce...14 lbs the day I can home from AOS last summer, and 10 lbs from EOS in January. But it is gone within a few days.

Does anyone know how to combat the water retention? I drink water (bottled) on board constantly, and at dinner, I am known to have 10+ glasses (my asst. waiters are tipped well!). I took Aquaban with me last time, but I was afraid to use it because I was always thirsty and thought it might make it worse...

I am prone to fluid retention so my doc gives me lasix. I dont like to take them on the ship because sometimes getting to the restroom fast is not an option and when I gotta go I cant wait.

Too much water can cause retention too.

The food has a lot of soduim, maybe order sodium free? I am not sure how it would taste, at home I use other herbs and spices so no worry there.

This is exactly me! And I too always have a dress I have to wear on the first formal night because I know it won't work on the second.

I retain water on a cruise something fierce...14 lbs the day I can home from AOS last summer, and 10 lbs from EOS in January. But it is gone within a few days.

Does anyone know how to combat the water retention? I drink water (bottled) on board constantly, and at dinner, I am known to have 10+ glasses (my asst. waiters are tipped well!). I took Aquaban with me last time, but I was afraid to use it because I was always thirsty and thought it might make it worse...

If you retain water this badly, you really ought to consult a doctor about it. There are medications which he can give you. Also, drinking 10 glasses at one meal can get you in big trouble. Water intoxication can be fatal because it dilutes electrolytes which are essential to cardiac function, among other things.

A lot of people retain water on cruises, but yours sounds a little extreme. Your doctor can really help you out here next time.

Good luck and healthy cruising.

I would think it would take an incredible amount of food to gain ten pounds in seven days. I can't even imagine how much food you would have to eat. How is that even possible??? You would have to eat 24-7, wouldn't you?

It really isn't hard if you eat a bunch of fatty meats and desserts at the same time you drink alcohol and sugary drinks. You can easily consume 6000-8000 calories in a day that way before you even realize it.

Add in water retention, and it's even easier. Water is very dense (i.e., "a pint's a pound, the world around").

To help prevent or remedy water retention, try wrapping up dinner with a cup of tea or coffee, or have one at breakfast. Caffeine's diuretic properties help a little.

And, you don't have to worry about "water intoxication" if you have 10 glasses of water at the dining table. Since it's ice water in a small glass, I bet you end up consuming 40-60 ounces of water in 10 glasses. That's less than half a gallon. Yes, it's a lot, but it's nothing that will dilute your electrolytes too badly, especially if you're eating a full meal at the time. If you really are that thirsty, though, you probably ought to see about a lower sodium diet on the ship. They do load that food up with salt!

D

It really isn't hard if you eat a bunch of fatty meats and desserts at the same time you drink alcohol and sugary drinks. You can easily consume 6000-8000 calories in a day that way before you even realize it.

Add in water retention, and it's even easier. Water is very dense (i.e., "a pint's a pound, the world around").

To help prevent or remedy water retention, try wrapping up dinner with a cup of tea or coffee, or have one at breakfast. Caffeine's diuretic properties help a little.

And, you don't have to worry about "water intoxication" if you have 10 glasses of water at the dining table. Since it's ice water in a small glass, I bet you end up consuming 40-60 ounces of water in 10 glasses. That's less than half a gallon. Yes, it's a lot, but it's nothing that will dilute your electrolytes too badly, especially if you're eating a full meal at the time. If you really are that thirsty, though, you probably ought to see about a lower sodium diet on the ship. They do load that food up with salt!

D

Well, perhaps you're right. I'm envisioning 10 8-ounce glasses of water at one meal, plus whatever this "thirsty" person is consuming the other 16 waking hours per day. As an ICU nurse, I only see the extremes, and after a while, you start to think the extremes are the rule, lol.

D

That's what I was thinking, but thank you for your concern NRDSB4. It is amazing how much I go through at a meal, but lots of food is going in there too! I may call my doctor though because the water retention is just plain old uncomfortable. I have to lose what I plan to put on in water weight before I go on a cruise so I can be sure my clothes will fit! The worst is that I have never had a nice cruise photo taken because my face is so puffy. Sigh...the things I go through just to cruise! :)

That's what I was thinking, but thank you for your concern NRDSB4. It is amazing how much I go through at a meal, but lots of food is going in there too! I may call my doctor though because the water retention is just plain old uncomfortable. I have to lose what I plan to put on in water weight before I go on a cruise so I can be sure my clothes will fit! The worst is that I have never had a nice cruise photo taken because my face is so puffy. Sigh...the things I go through just to cruise! :)

You are so right. I retain a lot of water as a result of PMS, and it is very uncomfortable. I can look at my face in photos and can tell what time of the month it is, lol. Thank goodness for stretch pants is all I can say.:)

Yes, for sure your doc can help you out.

My favorite story is that after my mom and I returned from our Mariner cruise (8 day that became 10 day cruise thanks to Hurricane Jeanne) we were talking about how much weight we had gained. I had gained three pounds and my mom said she had gained ten! I asked her how had she gained ten pounds? She didn't eat much at dinner and doesn't drink. She said it was the ice cream on the Promenade. I said we only went once or twice. She smiled and said she only went once or twice with ME. Otherwise, EVERY SINGLE TIME she passed the ice cream machine she got herself an ice cream! She said she probably had three or four EACH DAY of the cruise! She lost the weight after the cruise, but she still loves her ice cream and my feeling is that if hitting the ice cream machine makes her happy when cruising, then those are ten well earned pounds. Still brings a smile to my face every time I think of it. :D

My favorite story is that after my mom and I returned from our Mariner cruise (8 day that became 10 day cruise thanks to Hurricane Jeanne) we were talking about how much weight we had gained. I had gained three pounds and my mom said she had gained ten! I asked her how had she gained ten pounds? She didn't eat much at dinner and doesn't drink. She said it was the ice cream on the Promenade. I said we only went once or twice. She smiled and said she only went once or twice with ME. Otherwise, EVERY SINGLE TIME she passed the ice cream machine she got herself an ice cream! She said she probably had three or four EACH DAY of the cruise! She lost the weight after the cruise, but she still loves her ice cream and my feeling is that if hitting the ice cream machine makes her happy when cruising, then those are ten well earned pounds. Still brings a smile to my face every time I think of it. :D

I love that story, and it reminds me about what is nice on a cruise. I like to go through a cruise with a smile on my face, and it sure is nice to see others that do the same.

If it makes you happy to lose a pound or few when you are on the ship, do it. If it makes you happy to grab a cone every time you pass the ice cream, do it. :) I gained about five or six pounds on our last cruise, and it's gone two weeks later (with a little determination and a lot of sweat). What isn't gone is the smile on my face when I think about the great vacation week.

So, to reiterate: Yes, you can gain ten pounds on a seven night cruise. It might be water, it might be dessert. Either way, make it a good ten pounds. :)

D

I usually gain 2-3 that go away the first couple of days after I return. (I figure that's water weight from booze and salty foods) We make sure to take stairs and do a lot of walking on board. I took my pedometer this time and the trip from our aft cabin to Windjammer and back was over 600 steps.

Viv

Archived