Blonde question about cell phones

afdds

Ok, I've read all the posting about cell phones and the roaming rates vs ship rates. Now, I'm more confused than ever. Last cruise I kept in touch with my DDs by renting a satellite phone. Looks and feels like a brick.:eek:

Verizon says the towers are up and running on the Legend.

I use Verizon and have checked the prices....2.49 if in International waters and Belize 1.29 and Mexico .69. I know I also have to call and verify that I have I-Dial (international dialing) I'm sure there is a monthly charge for this.

Why is everyone saying watch your rates once you are in port? It seems to me that the rates are cheaper in port than in International waters. Am I missing something here. :confused:

Can't use a satellite phone this time because I'm going to Mexico and Belize. Belize is covered by one satellite and Mexico by another. Guess I'll try the cell phone.

Why is everyone saying watch your rates once you are in port? .

The Ships MTN System shuts down when you hit port. So your out to sea calls which used to cost 2.49 a minute will shoot up while in port due to roaming charges etc.

Fred

So if the Verizon web site states call Mexico for .69, it's that amount plus I have to pay a roaming charge? Will Verizon tell me what the roaming charges are?

I spend about $116.00 on the satellite phone last time and it worked OK. That's rental plus 60 minutes prepaid. I want to keep it about the same amount with the cell phone.

Thanks for the help!

There should be no additional roaming charges at those places. Additional roaming charges could apply if you try to use your phone in other places that have no agreements. Go by the international rtes chart on verizon's web site. Also, be sure to call Verizon and have them add international calling (no charge) as a feature or your phone won't work.

Your cell phone IS the easiest and cheapest way to keep in touch by phone now that the cell services are up on most ships. Even the email rates can cost more at $.50 per minute now unless you can type real fast!

I'm getting quite a bit confused myself here with the cell phones. Can I use my cell phone while still docked at the home port for the regular cell phone carrier charge or will I be charged the Carnival sea rate?

There is no MOnthly cost for I-Call. It is as simple as calling verizon and telling them you need international Roaming. THey will turn it on and then before you set sail you will do a *228 then option 2 to update you roaming rights. The way Verizon works... If there is any time of Cellular coverage using CDMA (Verizon type coverage) than the ship's relay service will shutoff. By contract it is when there is no other available service signal, NOT when the ship is docked. Using you verizon phone should work great for you. Just like the sat phone you could have a 1/2-1 second delay in the audio, but it should work just fine.

Archived