Discovery World Cruises--past solo travelers?

Tarheelbelle

That's a great itinerary. The mv Discovery is a very old ship, by present day standards, having been built in 1972. Seeing that, you won't find much in the way of conveniences/amenities you find on newer ships. But in the area in which you're cruising, you probably won't be needing fancy amenities and a basic cruise ship will fit the bill perfectly.

• 3 weeks later...

I was on the Galapagos cruise last year/Equador to Nassau.

Being solo was not the problem, however the ship was.

I found the itinerarary compensatory but otherwise there was very little to recommend sailing on Discovery, not only aged but DEPRESSING,specially dining in the ugly basement dining room with portholes,mostly covered with drapes,

The cuisine,though being vegetarian, not so concerned, but honestly it was very poor,the deck buffets were actually appalling.

Entertainment very amature as is the whole set up,also outside cabin was tiny,claustrophobic with even the TV news channels being unavailable most of the cruise.

I have sailed Crystal, Holland, Cunard and find that HAL suits best and am going in June on the Rotterdamn's Baltic Fantasy for 24 days,many ports of call, something I always look for.

Sailed on the Amsterdam Rio to Valpariso,down into the Antarctic and though unable to have the added experience of Zodiacs (as Discovery offer) it was still a fantastic cruise.

Would add that the Discovery is very UK orientated, being British myself, but have lived away so long, much prefer a more cosmopolitan crowd, plus always seems that the "Yanks" being so much more extrovert create a livelier ambience, rather than the somewhat stuffy and reserved one of the "Brits" !!

Thanks for the information, lagunaman. My main reason for going on this ship is the itinerary and the Zodiac landings. I considered Princess, Celebrity, HAL--but no landings, so not an option for me.

I have seen such a range of opinions about the food on this ship. I am going with lower expectations.

Sure that you will have a wonderful time, it's an amazing experience and going with low expectations, may allow you to be presently surprised.

Specially as I recently heard that there has been an improvement in their cuisine.

Bon Voyage in advance :)

Archived