Confused about cabin categories on Summit

etoile

I am considering an itinerary for next year on the Summit. I was looking at the pricing for different cabins, and I was a bit confused by something.

Cat 9 and Cat 12 are both inside cabins. I am a member on CruiseStateroom.com and as far as I can tell, they are identical. But there is a $50 difference between them - Cat 12 is cheapest and Cat 9 is $50 more.

The difference is even greater with outside cabins. Cat 4 is $80 more than Cat 8, but again, they appear to be identical on CruiseStateroom.com.

What is the difference between cabin categories that makes them cost more even though the rooms themselves are apparently identical in size and amenities? The only thing I can think of is placement on the ship...I have heard that higher decks are considered more desirable, so perhaps those are the more expensive ones?

Thanks in advance for your help!

You're right - it's all about location. Midship is preferable (less motion from waves and better proximity to more of the ship) than forward or aft, thus more expensive. Higher decks are also usually more expensive than lower. With outside cabins, price differences can come from obstructed/partially obstructed views.

Just like real estate, it's location, location, location.

Category 12 in the basement of the ship, cat 9 up near the pool and a short walk to the entertainment deck.

The cabins are the same, but the location is not. I will never book 12,11,8,7, or 6. To me it's all about location.

If you are a day at sea and need something from you cabin, who want to go down 8 or 9 decks to your cabin?

In general, you are right; it is where the cabins are. In the same category, those that are closer to midships and higher up are considered to be more desirable and hence, cost more. This relates to stability of the ship in rough seas, there is more movement of the ship fore and aft as it pitches and rolls. However, contrary to this so called logic, the cabins on higher decks will roll through a larger arc than those closer to the waterline. Notice that most cruise ships put the high priced suites on the upper decks. Despite the fact that some ships have more vibration aft because of the props, many pax love aft facing balcony cabins where they can watch the wake and experience less wind than on side balconies.:) :)

Archived