Has anyone rented a vehicle in Ft. Lauderdale to get to Port of Miami?

Tigger007

Since there is 8 of us and time to kill before the cruise/Spirit, leaving at 8 pm, so we thought about renting a vehicle from Ft. Lauderdale airport and drive to Port of Miami. However the car rental places are telling me I would have to return the vehicle to Miami airport and then get a taxi to get to the port as there are not rentals near the port. This just does not sound right. Can anyone me with this? :)

Sorry, but it’s true.:( No rentals at the port, however there are some very close to the port.

Budget is located in the Sheraton Hotel about ½ mile from the port (I believe they offer a shuttle)

Enterprise is on Biscayne Blvd. (short taxi ride)

Hertz is on SE 1st (they offer a shuttle but if it’s not available they used to reimburse part of your cab fare)

Hope this helps.:)

Why not just take a cab or a limo from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami and forget the hassle of renting? It's not terribly far. Maybe take a cab/limo to Bayside Marketplace, which is just over the bridge from the Port of Miami, hang out there for a while, then grab a cab to the ship. Just a thought.

• 4 weeks later...

Having lived in Miami and Fort Lauderdale the last couple of years, it is absolutely no problem to do that. Yes you will have to take a Hertz or other rental bus to get to the car rental place and yes it will take you about 10 minutes to get there and get your car. And yes you will have to drop it off at Miami and take a bus from the rental place to the airport but both of these shouldn't take you more than 30 to 45 minutes total and that is for both of them.

The main drive itself is a piece of cake, get on I-95 and go south to 112 which is clearly marked to the airport. The entire route is clearly marked and on a Saturday or Sunday there is no traffic and should be no problem.

Good Luck,

Vic

73 Rembrandt

79 Starwind

80 Norway

80 Nordic Prince

84 Iceland

85 Germany

86 Sweden

87 Norway, Holland, Denmark

88 Germany

89 England, France

90 Brazil, Peru, Argentina

91 Columbia

92 Venezuela

96 Zimbabwe

97 South Africa

97 Peru

98 Argentina

98 Kenya, Tanzania

99 South Africa

00 Zimbabwe, South Africa

03 Noordam

04 Royal Princess

05 Jewel of the Seas

We dropped off our rental at Alamo near the airport and there was a shuttle that then dropped us off at the pier. Alamo's location is not on airport property but close by. At the time the directions were a little confusing so we followed the signs to the airport and once in the airport we followed the signs to the rental car dropoff. It was not that complicated and the traffic was not bad on a Tuesday afternoon.

Archived