Port vs. Starboard - Sun vs. Shade

Hblanton

This may be a stupid question (I know, I know, not stupid questions, just stupid people <g>) but here goes.

I'm on the April 30 crossing on the Voyager. The ship will, at all times, be north of the equator (no worries about toilets going backwards...) She will be heading more or less due east most of the time.

Does this not mean that cabins (or more properly verandas) on the starboard side will benefit from sun all day (with the rise to our left and the setting to our right) while those on the port side will be in shadow the whole time?

Why have I never heard this discussed? In a more tyipical cruise the sun/shade thing more or less evens out over time, but on a crossing it is a constant, no? All things being equal shouldn't this factor into ones selection of cabin?

The sun rises in the east, sets in the west, not north-south as you portray it. Heading east, the sun will "rise" roughly in the bow area of the ship, and "set" off the stern. However, especially depending on the time of year, there is a southerly angle to the sun (the arch is not directly overhead), greatest in winter months, less in summer, so on an easterly crossing you would have more sun on the starboard (right) side of the ship.

Of course I know the sun rises in the E and sets in the W!:)

What I meant was that, except at the equator, the arc is not directly overhead, but shifted towards the equator, with the effect more so during the winter and less so during the summer.

So if I have my geometry right, on an westerly crossing at a relatively northerly latitude late in the year (like the November crossings from Europe ot the US hat seem typical) those cabins facing north (in this case starboard) would be in the ships shadow for the entire run, whilst those facing south would see the sun rise from the ESE, swing up in the ski and be above and slightly South at noon, and then continue to a WSW sunset off the ships aft port side.

Unless I am wrong about the dynamic (which is very possible) I go back to my question of whether it doesn't make sense for cruisers to consider this on basically east/west cruises if they prefer to stay in the sun (or shade) as much as possible?)

In any case, I'm looking forward to reporting my empherical findings from Voyager!

HLY

HLY, yes, interested in your experience. Which side are you on, pray tell? I think you're right, that on the November west-bound crossing it might be a significant advantage to be on the port side. Not sure if it would matter so much in April. I'm imagining that in both cases the sun's not very strong anyways.

Of course I know the sun rises in the E and sets in the W!:)

What I meant was that, except at the equator, the arc is not directly overhead, but shifted towards the equator, with the effect more so during the winter and less so during the summer.

So if I have my geometry right, on an westerly crossing at a relatively northerly latitude late in the year (like the November crossings from Europe ot the US hat seem typical) those cabins facing north (in this case starboard) would be in the ships shadow for the entire run, whilst those facing south would see the sun rise from the ESE, swing up in the ski and be above and slightly South at noon, and then continue to a WSW sunset off the ships aft port side.

Unless I am wrong about the dynamic (which is very possible) I go back to my question of whether it doesn't make sense for cruisers to consider this on basically east/west cruises if they prefer to stay in the sun (or shade) as much as possible?)

In any case, I'm looking forward to reporting my empherical findings from Voyager!

HLY

Perhaps in your first post you mis-spoke that you would be "headed east." If you're "headed west" the port(left) side would have more sun. If you're "headed east," as in my reply, the starboard side (right) would have more sun, as you said, because of the general slant of the sun from the south (more so in winter, less in the summer months). Hope that helps and clarifies.

This is how I understand it:

If you are going East (toward's Europe) Starboard side will be on the right and you with have a Southern Exposure; Port side will be on the left and you would have a Northern Exposure.

If you are going WEST (Towards the US) Starboard side will still be on the right and you will have the northern exposure; Port Side (still left) will then be Southern exposure.

Southern facing exposure will give you more direct light since you will face the Equator.

On another note, half the time I've booked Starboard side, we end up with that side toward port anyway.

Even at the moment of Summer solstice when the sun is at its highest in our northern hemisphere sky, it is directly overhead no farther north than the Tropic of Cancer. Therefore, because your eastbound crossing will be entirely to the north of the Tropic, the sun will always shine upon the southern (starboard) side of the ship.

Apparently I got it rigth from the outset (my westward example was a contrafactual attempt to clarify the matter, but apparently it confused it...oh well.

But the point remains - doesn't this make the side of the ship on which you are located a pretty material consideratoin for a crossing? We are in 721 and so are on the right (in both senses) side for our trip. I would think it would be a real bummer to be on the wrong (left, port) side and not get any sun on your veranda for the 8 day trip.

To me at least this should really outweigh any consideration of forward/aft or how high up. I'm just surprised I've never seen it discussed as an issue. We just lucked into our assignment (in many more ways than one...but that is a story for another day) but I would be a bit glum if I knew that I couldn't sunbathe on the veranda.

HLY

It's a matter of how well one enjoys and deals with the sun. Many of us have dermatologists who would prefer we balconize on the shady side. Remember this, too: if you sit on a south-facing balcony on a sunny day with nothing but ocean in front of you, you get not only the sun's direct rays but also reflected rays off the surface of the water.

On my first-ever cruise, I sat on my balcony the entire day without ever being in direct sunlight (it was pretty much overhead, so I was shaded by the balcony above) and, therefore, without bothering to apply sunscreen. I got one of the most serious sunburns of my life from reflected rays. When we went to dinner, two cooks tried to wrestle me into a pot and serve me with melted butter.

Wow, I hadn't thought of the reflection! That's something to watch for.

But in the north Atlantic, in either April or November I can't imagine sunburn would be an issue. But the glare might be. Trying to imagine it, too bad I can't try it out any time soon! :rolleyes:

Well, this was certainly an interesting thread, something I had not given any thought to - maybe should have. We are on the November 3rd crossing in Suite 930, port side. Now I am going to have to go back and re-read all of these comments as I found this a bit confusing. So, someone tell me, am I going to be in the sun or the shade.

Headed East (US to Europe) Starboard=Sun Port = Shade

Headed West (Europe to US) Port=Sun Starboard=Shade

Or, more simply, if you are facing South you get sun, and if you are facing North you don't.

I guess I focused on this because, living in the city, it is a big deal in terms of what house you live in. Our houses are "zero lot line" meaning there is essentially no gap between the houses (just as there is no gap - hopefully - between cabins.) My house is in a N/S orientation, with our front facing South. It means that our front rooms (livingroom, den) get sun, but our back rooms (bedrooms, dining room and garden) don't.

I'm glad my observation alterted at least one other reader.

HLY

YAY!! My husband knew it from the start, we are on Starboard side Nov 3 Funchal to Ft. Lauderdale, and he said we'd be on the shady side - thats what we want!! :) He is so smart!! Thats why I married him 40 years ago!:D Well its one of a ton of reasons anyway!!

I am on the grand crossing and on the sunny side. I will wear sunscreen.....

HLY - I replied to your post below re: the opening up of the dinner reservations for our cruise. I thanked you for alerting us to this but for some reason this board (or its admin) chose to remove several of our posts on that thread (mine, yours, wendy's and one other).

Oh yes I do Kathy!!! And I remember your fantastic pictures. Your invitation is accepted!

Steerage, smeerage, hey girl you are on RSSC, there is no steerage!!! You guys like low on the ship, we like it higher, its my stupid claustrophobic thing. :D

Archived