Cooking on the beach

Mezzaluna

My husband and I recently returned from the Coral Princess 10-day Panama Canal cruise. I took an excursion called Mexican Cooking, which was at Playa Mia about 15 minutes from downtown Cozumel.

I hadn't heard of this type of experience before, but I wondered if anyone else had done it. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it highly. While all the ingredients were prepared and ready to use, the chef in charge (Chef Luis, in our case) was knowledgeable and did a wonderful job making the session informative and fun. I'm a pretty experienced home cook and would have enjoyed a bit more challenge, but I learned about ingredients and some other ideas besides meeting fun people from several other ships as well as my own (Norwegian Pearl, Freedom of the Seas... there were seven ships in port that day I think).

If you're looking for a culinary type of excursion, this one is fun.

I am on the Grand Princess in two weeks. The ship offers a cooking tour in Cozumel. Can you tell me if you booked this through a Princess excursion?

I enjoy hands on cooking classes and thought this might be fun. How long was the class? Did you have time to do anything else while in port?

Thanks for any info.

I booked it as an excursion through Princess. I think it was named "Mexican Cooking". It included a couple of hours to enjoy the beach after the cooking (which was about 90 minutes) and eating (which included wines).

I left early to meet my husband at Diamonds Internations to make a purchase. :D I paid for the cab myself so I lost the value of a return cab ride, but it was worth it. If you do come back on your own (I think the tour returns around 4 p.m.), try to find people to be "your family" to share the cab ride. It's a bit cheaper if you have more in "your party". I paid $15 for the 15 minute ride, but the couple who were in the cab with me paid $14 for both, I think.

We did that excursion on our Enchantment of the Seas trip. It was a hoot. I am a home cook too. We really had a good time, cooked, ate and went to the beach. They are not stingy with the drinks, that's for sure.

Archived