Galveston Stores And Such...

Hi there....

I've searched a few pages and didn't see a post. If I missed it, I apologize.

Just in case we happen to forget something in California and we don't realize it until our plane has landed....

What stores are in Galveston and generally for a bigger store, what might the hours be?

Is there a local Walmart or Target?

What time does the general market/grocery store open and close?

What time are liquor stores open til?

Thanks ahead of time for any information.

There is a Walmart and it is a supercenter, so has a grocery store too. I would check with them on their hours, most of them here are 24 hrs but not sure about that one..

Store Details

Wal-Mart Supercenter

6702 Seawall Blvd

Galveston, TX 77551

Store Phone

(409) 744-8677

Services

• Cell Phones, Plans & More

• Garden Center

• Gas Station

• Free Shipping: Site to Store(SM)

• Gift Registry

• Grocery

• Open 24 hours

• Pharmacy

• Photo Center

• 1-Hour Photo Center

• Portrait Studio

• Tire & Lube

Sorry missed the liquor store part -

What day are you coming in?

I searched online and cant find anything. I did read in another thread on the RCCL forum I believe that someone was not able to find a liquor store open after 9pm on Saturday night. I know they are not open on Sunday at all.

You can buy beer and wine at Walmart.

I searched online and cant find anything. I did read in another thread on the RCCL forum I believe that someone was not able to find a liquor store open after 9pm on Saturday night. I know they are not open on Sunday at all.

You can buy beer and wine at Walmart.

Liquor stores are open from 10a-9p, Mon-Sat, in Texas. You will only find beer and wine at the grocery stores, which can be sold from 630a-midnight Mon-Thurs, 630a-1a Saturday, and 12p-midnight on Sunday.

I'm not sure where a liquor store is in Galveston, but hopefully someone else who's had this problem before, or a local, can help you out. :)

When you first come onto the island from the bridge near 61st there is a Target, and further along is a Big Lots and some other big box stores.

My sister also says that there are a couple of shops on the Strand for the ships' crew members to pick up basics. She didn't know where they were, but for a last minute essential, that might be a good place to go looking.

Also, fyi, the Strand is a great shopping area for local trinkets, souvenirs and gifts.

Economy Liquor 1911 23rd St about a block down from Seawall and has a good selection and price.

Palms Liquor 2727 61st St is a large store by a Randall's Supermarket.

Galveston is easy to travel as numbered streets are North to South, letter avenues run East to West. Besides, it's not that big an island.

Academy Sports & Outdoors 45th and Seawall has a very large and reasonable selection of cruise wear and sporting goods, snorkel etc.

The Strand (a block over from the terminals) has a lot of beach wear shops and some high end boutiques.

Just FYI- I would steer clear of the Wal-Mart Supercenter in Galvestion at all costs. I have not been to that place one time that is has not been extremely packed and overcrowded. Save the stress and go to Krogers or Randalls or even Target. Krogers is right on the seawall. And theres always Walgreens.

• 2 weeks later...
Liquor stores are open from 10a-9p, Mon-Sat, in Texas. You will only find beer and wine at the grocery stores, which can be sold from 630a-midnight Mon-Thurs, 630a-1a Saturday, and 12p-midnight on Sunday.

I'm not sure where a liquor store is in Galveston, but hopefully someone else who's had this problem before, or a local, can help you out. :)

You can tell I dont go to liquor stores often.. or buy beer or wine. I really only drink when I go out somewhere a few times a year or when I cruise.

You can get been and wine at Walmart.. I have seen that. Not sure what type of selection they have but it is in the area with the water and sodas.

In my four visits to Galveston, I've never had any problems at the Super Wal-Mart. Not any more crowded than any other Super Wal-Mart!

Nice to hear you have not had any problems..... in my 400 visits to Galveston, the Wal-Mart Supercenter has always been crowded. We own a condo just down from Wal-Mart and never go there, we avoid the stressful crowd and to Kroger, Target, Walgreens, etc. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Your question implies that you have a vehicle.

On your way to Galveston, south of Beltway 8, all along the freeway you'll start to see strip malls.

At the El Dorado exit, there is a Wal-Mart Supercenter and a Sam's.

At the Bay Area Boulevard exit there is Baybrook mall, Target, Old Navy, and several other big-box stores.

At the League City exit, there is a Kroger on the east side of the frewway.

At Exit 20, the Santa Fe/San Leon exit, there is another Super Wal-Mart, and about 1 mile west of I-45 there are two Walgreens not half a mile from each other on FM 646 (exit 20).

Continuing south, Mall of the Mainland is at the Texas City exit (avoid the restaurant Gringo's). Also at this exit is an outlet center (and a dog track, as if you're not blowing enough money on a cruise to begin with!).

South of that is...Galveston.

At most of the exits from El Dorado south to Texas City there will be a major grocery store within a reasonable distance from the freeway.

I will second the vote to try to stop at one of the spots before you get on the island. Two reasons, there is a slight increase in price and most of the big stores (Walmart, Kroger and Randall's are on the Seawall. If you are not staying over the night before, the Seawall is really out of the way. I didn't catch if you were coming in early or not

Don't worry! We never had any trouble at Wal-Mart or anywhere else we have navigated in Galveston. I love it there! You can find anything that you might have forgot to pack and even more. We have been there on holiday like Labor Day weekend and although there were lots of people, never felt overwhelmed or that it was too much trouble to do or get anything.

I wish I had a condo there!! Enjoy!!

Don't worry! We never had any trouble at Wal-Mart or anywhere else we have navigated in Galveston. I love it there! You can find anything that you might have forgot to pack and even more. We have been there on holiday like Labor Day weekend and although there were lots of people, never felt overwhelmed or that it was too much trouble to do or get anything.

So does my husband - but I have to nix having a vacation home 30 minutes from my real home!

Never said we had "trouble"

Simply stated it is over crowded. We own a condo 2 blocks from Walmart and just find that it is very crowded. Just suggesting there are other places other than Walmart....

Archived