Seeing Whales While On Ship

dolly2377

What are the chances of seeing Whales and other sea wildlife from the ship? If you are pretty much guaranteed to see them, and you have decent binoculars, is it still worth taking a whale-watching excursion?

We are sailing the Inside Passage May 26-June 2 and we've decided our big $$$ excursion would be a sea plane over Misty Fjords. However, do you think we should try and fit a whale-watching excursion into our budget? We would have to do it in Juneau or Skagway (it seems Juneau would be the better of the two for whale-watching).

Please comment. Thanks!

If you put in the time, you probably will see them. However, it will normally be for only a few seconds at a time and at a distance. If getting a good view is a priority for you, play it safe & book a whale watch.

I've had 2 cruises where there were whales really close to the ship for extended periods of time. I'm fortunate as this is really the exception to the rule.

between being on a big ship moving fast one-way and the whales moving fast another, you might see some..but the best viewing would be an excusions.

i was out looking a lot...only saw 2 small whales, under our balcony for a few minutes. then saw some sea otters not too far from glacier bay.

heard only 2 reports of seeing whales from the ship..very brief sightings.

if you want to watch the shoreline for wildlife or even down in the water, bring good binoculars..remember how high you are while on the ship.

some have reported being lucky and seeing whales, but most don't.

i took budget queen's advice about where to be looking for them, but just didn't have the luck.

I always see wildlife from the ship. BUT I spend most all my time out on a front facing open deck. Few people are willing to invest the considerable time necessary. Most people actually see no wildlife on Alaska cruises. :)

I know of likely areas, I also make some location requests of the bridge. Sometimes I get the right anwers. :) If your ship has a naturalist- you can get valuable information.

Most all sighings from the cruise ship will be distant and brief. You may spend a few hours for 2 minutes of viewing. For marine wildlife, you do need a front view, if you are "serious", and a good pair of wide angle binoculars are necessary, along with proper attire. You need to track from ahead, If you choose your cabin for viewing, you cut your chances by over 50%. I frequently am the only one out. But, I've made some great ship friends in the process however. On average you will have 10 or fewer passengers like me. But the group can be wonderful with all those eyes available for sighting during the week. :)

OK so I am obsessed with sights from the ship and have always been greatly rewarded- but you will also always see me on the whale watches. These allow you the opportunity for extended close up viewing- use binoculars- some tour operators have some to borrow. :)

Budget Queen's advice is right on target. Wildlife spotting does take time and a bit of dedication (warm layered clothing helps too). Spend some time on deck or (if your ship has one) a good observation lounge and keep looking. Whales usually produce what looks like a spout of steam out of the water while bald eagles look like golf balls in the trees.

Still, you can't equal a smaller boat for wildlife viewing. My favorites are the whale watching trips out of Juneau and the day excursions from Seward into Kenai Fjords National Park.

You will love the floatplane over misty Fjords. I went 2 years ago and it was the highlight for me. We had a balcony room, and I did see some wildlife, but it was right time-right place thing, I wasn't looking. Saw dolphins, not whales. Did whale watching in Juneau and that was great too!

Going back to AK again this year on the Noordam on 6/10 and cannot wait to see everything again and a lot of new things!

I have seen Whales on every cruse to Alaska (4). If you are out on the deck, the captian will announce the sightings. The Best and most sighted have been in the Strait of Juan De Fuca (Washington waters) where we have seen Orcas. One time in Mid Sept 2005, the Capt was coming on every 15 minutes- must have seen over 75 Orcas in the Strait.

We say whales breaching in early June at the mouth of Glacier Bay - the captain announced the sighting and even cruised over closer so we could get a better look. They were in view for over a half hour. My husband and I spent quite a bit of town out on deck. One evening we were at the back of ship and saw Orca riding the ships wake. Bring your binoculars - we were glad we did.

Last september, we saw up to 5 groups of humpback whales (total of 60-80 accordinly to on board naturalist) south of Juneau. Some of the whales are close, less than 20 ft from the ship. Not many people are so lucky though. So, going with a tour boat will be your safest bet. I will go for whale watching tour this year since I didn't see any Orcas last time. Always dress in layers with waterproof parka the best. Bring a waterproof binoculars will help a lot.

We say whales breaching in early June at the mouth of Glacier Bay - the captain announced the sighting and even cruised over closer so we could get a better look. They were in view for over a half hour. My husband and I spent quite a bit of town out on deck. One evening we were at the back of ship and saw Orca riding the ships wake. Bring your binoculars - we were glad we did.

For clairfication, orcas do not ride wakes. You most likely saw Dall's Porpoise. Same color as orcas, smaller and plenty of people mix them up.

Point Adolphus is a prime spot outside of Glacier Bay, not all ships "stop" here however.

One benefit of afternoon arrivals in Juneau is the chance of humpbacks. I am always up at dawn and again, been greatly rewarded.

If you are out on the deck, the captian will announce the sightings. The QUOTE]

Not always. I've been on several ships, passing wildlife and no announcements. Many times, by the time people get out, they are gone. Probably a reason of no announcements?

You most likely saw Dall's Porpoise. Same color as orcas, smaller and plenty of people mix them up.

I was told this also when I posted that there was an Orca pod following our ship one morning. I just had to smile.

Dalls get up to 6-8 ft long and maybe 400 lbs, the Orca can get to the area of 30 feet long, weighing more than 8,000-12,000 pounds. Heck, the dorsal fin on a bull can be about as tall as a Dall is long. Seen both many times.

-Monte

Just an add. I should have said- that orcas usually do not ride wakes and not made an "always" statement- my apologies. -

Dall's porpoise and white sided pacific dolphins do so far more frequently. I've seen plenty from cruise ships and always, someone yells out Orca!!! One time the ship headed into a couple hundred Pacific white sided dolphins, they split as the ship passed and then about 1/3 followed the ship for at least half an hour. Quite a sight that few people were on deck for. Impressive to see the whole thing. :)

Just an add. I should have said- that orcas usually do not ride wakes and not made an "always" statement- my apologies. -

I think that's why i didn't see any orcas from the cruiseship last time. I am holding my hope high for the whale watching tour this time.

I think that's why i didn't see any orcas from the cruiseship last time. I am holding my hope high for the whale watching tour this time.

For orcas, you need to consider a whale watch out of Victoria. In Juneau it is humpbacks always seen. With orcas only being sighted maybe every 5-10 days.

If you are sailing inside Vancouver Island southbound and on a ship with a naturalist, see if they are detouring to Alert Bay. Orcas frequently seen here.

If you are sailing inside Vancouver Island southbound and on a ship with a naturalist, see if they are detouring to Alert Bay. Orcas frequently seen here.

We are on a northbound out of Vancouver in September. I understand that we will miss a lot of scenic viewing since we will travel through it at night. :( Any suggestions for whale watching after sailaway or the next day at sea? Can you find the naturalist as soon as you board to get info on the upcoming route?

For orcas, you need to consider a whale watch out of Victoria. In Juneau it is humpbacks always seen. With orcas only being sighted maybe every 5-10 days.

Thanks, I will research into that for some options...

On the Alaska Inside Passage cruise, I think the ship Naturalist said we were seeing Minke (sp?) whales. Is that Orcas or Humpbacks or something entirely different? That was just from the ship. Didn't do a whale watch tour. And we saw seals, sea otters, and dolphins all from the cruise ship. Of course everything was quite far away, but we saw them with the naked eye, not binoculars.

Then on the New England/Canada cruise, we saw Beluga whales and gray whales? I'm not really up on whales, but they were huge. They came up right under our balcony (almost like they were performing for us). Looked like a family of them. They stayed there cavorting for a good 5 minutes (never fully breeching, but coming up and arching & blowing) before they swam deep and away. We had binoculars, but certainly didn't need them. Even had plenty of time to get some really good shots with the camera.

So it's just luck of the draw. We weren't even looking for them on either cruise. As I said, I don't know a lot about whales, other than that they are big. Didn't know there so many different kinds.

Dolly2377...I'm going at the exact same time as you are. I will be on the Norwegian Star....I booked a whale watching trip in Prince Rupert on a Zodiac which holds about 24 people....I'm hoping to see whales and lots of wildlife.....I've been whale watching in Hawaii and am excited about Alaska whale watching.

We are on a northbound out of Vancouver in September. I understand that we will miss a lot of scenic viewing since we will travel through it at night. :( Any suggestions for whale watching after sailaway or the next day at sea? Can you find the naturalist as soon as you board to get info on the upcoming route?

Ask at the purser's desk, who the ship naturalist is. Also in the next day's news letter, look for naturalist presentations during the day. They usually are open for questions. Routes can change and are the cpts. choice. Not always the same every week. Transient orcas have a WIDE range and no way to predict where they are. The Vancouver Island residents are more so. I have just about always seen them on south bound inside Vancouver Island. On northbound trips, I stay out through dusk, if of interest the Seymour Narrows is a sight to see. I then am up prior to dawn. I occassionally see orcas if the ship is not out of Vancouver Island.

I've seen them in Dixon Passage- large area south of Ketchikan and Snow Passage, north of Ketchikan. You need to ask the bridge if that route is being taken.

On the Alaska Inside Passage cruise, I think the ship Naturalist said we were seeing Minke (sp?) whales. Is that Orcas or Humpbacks or something entirely different? That was just from the ship. Didn't do a whale watch tour. And we saw seals, sea otters, and dolphins all from the cruise ship. Of course everything was quite far away, but we saw them with the naked eye, not binoculars.

Then on the New England/Canada cruise, we saw Beluga whales and gray whales? I'm not really up on whales, but they were huge. They came up right under our balcony (almost like they were performing for us). Looked like a family of them. They stayed there cavorting for a good 5 minutes (never fully breeching, but coming up and arching & blowing) before they swam deep and away. We had binoculars, but certainly didn't need them. Even had plenty of time to get some really good shots with the camera.

So it's just luck of the draw. We weren't even looking for them on either cruise. As I said, I don't know a lot about whales, other than that they are big. Didn't know there so many different kinds.

Minke whales are different from Humpback and orcas. Orcas are actually the dolphin family. Minke are baleen whales like humpbacks, smaller and faster erratic swimmers. Not as exciting as humpbacks in my opinion. Not real buoyant so they don't need all the thrust for diving that the humpback does, so no extensive look at the tails. It is very difficult to see sea otters from a cruise ship. They don't stick around close to the ship and are a very small animal.

In New England- Grey whales are not on the east coast. Probably fin whale- if they were large, also if really lucky, and I have been, can see one of the 350 Right Whales left in the world, also pilots. Minke and Humpbacks.

It is very difficult to see sea otters from a cruise ship. They don't stick around close to the ship and are a very small animal.

With naked eyes, they are just some moving dots at most. If they stand still, it is very hard to differentiate the dots from the vast background.

I remember when we sailed into Tracy's arm, our binos would always be passed along among the people standing next to us whenever naturalist announced a spotting of a black bear or a mountain goat. It was always an exciting moment when we spotted something off the shore. I was wondering if the ship will list when all the people rush to starboard or port side at the same time;) :D

On northbound trips, I stay out through dusk, if of interest the Seymour Narrows is a sight to see.

Very interested in Seymour Narrows, but I think we have talked before that to northbound itinerary and September sailing, it will be very, very late when we go through--and too dark to see? I am willing to watch very late if there is a chance!

tcb2006....when we did the northbound out of Vancouver it was very late like 1:30 in the morning when we went through the Seymour Narrows. Unfortunately we fell also after a long flight in that day. But everyone on board the next morning said that the ship had all the balcony running lights on and some lights on the top of the ship so you were able to get a great view. Those with balcony rooms said it felt like you good reach out and touch the walls.

This time around we will make sure to have a wake up call before getting to the Narrows so we don't miss another opportunity if it will be late again. An idea you may want to consider yourself.

Seymour Narrows is definately superior viewing during the daytime. I would not count on a wake up call, most times I have heard of people getting one, the ship already in line and gone through by time they looked- IF they got the call. There are some lights to see going through at night, but don't count on anything else.

If a priority, then put a call into the bridge and request the time. I usually call twice to be sure I get the same answer. You call via the Purser's and hopefully they call you back. A GPS is VERY worthwhile. I kind of "hooked" up, (OK, I made a pest of myself :) ) with a friendly gentleman who I saw frequently. And was kind enough to include me in his tracking.

I would set an alarm for an hour before the timeframe, given to you by the bridge.

Archived