Outrageous cruise extension incident

savvyprince

Friday March 20 2007 aboard Windsurf returning to Barbados my wife and I decided to extend the cruise if space permitted. By noon we were advised there was space, and a letter would be forthcoming detailing our options. By end of day, no letter ("in progress"). After two more requests, and after abandoning our shore excursion on Saturday, we asked to see the purser in person. In that meeting at 2PM, we were advised the next week would cost 1044 each, and that we could keep our B class cabin. We asked about an upgrade to A class cabin, and went to our cabin to rearrange flight schedules and business items - all over the phone at $8 per minute, plus flight cancellation fees.

Half hour later, we were advised by phone that the rate was now 1125, and that was for A class, all B class was sold out. Paper work would be drawn up and delivered forthwith. We went topside, and returned before dinner to receive a written quote for 2045 each, as we did not book through an "interliner". Calls to the purser and hotel manager yielded no change - citing policy and central reservation rules. We declined the offer.

So, essentially a shoreside third party could just call a travel agent and sail the next day for 1025, but we had to pay 2045 to stay put. The idea I tabled that they consider it an extension of arrangements made through our original booking agent was dismissed.

I've penned the letter, found the President's name and address, and compiled a list of others to copy at Holland America, Ambassador etc. But before I fire it off I wanted to ask you more experienced cruisers on this forum for your comments and possible suggestions for any better contacts for the complaint letter; or any other actions you might deem reasonable.

We have cruised with Windstar once before - they knew us onboard and the cruise was, as always, a delight. We were flabbergasted by the incident.

Thank you for your input.

Kevin Andrien - kevin@hkadata.com

Your list is good, but a bit of advice.

First, decide on what your objective is.

If it is to express your displeasure and nothing else, go ahead with a general broadcast of your beef to everyone.

If, however, you want something else, be sure you state that objective early in your letter and be realistic. The letter should go to just one person, not a bunch of people, if you want it to be seriously considered. The President of HAL, Stein Kruse (yes, that's his real name) is your best choice:

300 Elliott Ave. W.

Seattle, WA 98119

Keep it short (one page) and polite (no "intolerant" language).

Comments like, "I'll never sail on Windstar again" or "I'm terribly disappointed in how I was treated" will serve only to give you a temporary "I guess I told them" feeling, but will accomplish nothing. They won't spend a minute responding with anything but a form letter.

Be polite, concise and specific about what you want and you'll be surprised at the response.

Great suggestions on getting action. As one who worked in the litigation field for cruise lines for many years, nothing confused me more than those who said they would never sail with us again. So if we did nothing for that person the result to us would be the same as if we did try and work out compensation. It takes away the cruise line's motivation to please someone who they will never see again!

Year later, I will still remember the letter that I thought was most brilliantly written. The cruise passenger was a past guest, and gave a list of complaints - nothing embellished, but a good concise list. Then he said that the way in which we handled the complaint would be the indication of how much we valued his past a future business. He didn't demand anything - but left it up to us. We ended up giving him a full refund because we really wanted him to know we valued his business and wanted him to come back to us. He said numerous times after that with us.

Great advice Walt - I didn't plan to be aggressive in my letter. I have been heartened to learn from many private replies (you will note I posted my email address) that the incident deserves a complaint, and likely will garner a favourable response - fitting for the professional service we have come to expect from Windstar. Thanks for your comment!

Better than writing a letter is possibly sending an e-mail. I have always had good luck getting a response that way. You should send the e-mail to skruse at hollandamerica dot com

You will not get a personal response from Kruse but it will come from one of his staff.

Thanks for the suggestion - we will post whatever response we get from Windstar. We are not bitter, just flabbergasted! If all we do is precipitate a policy change we will consider the complaint worthwhile. After all, we may want to extend again.

Thanks for the suggestion - we will post whatever response we get from Windstar. We are not bitter, just flabbergasted! If all we do is precipitate a policy change we will consider the complaint worthwhile. After all, we may want to extend again.
As we might as well. Been dreaming of a 14 day westbound transAtlantic on a Windstar ship for years but not willing to to a back to back with a subsequent Caribbean trip until we see if, after 14 days, we can stand another 7 days on board (or if we can stand each other, for that matter). So it will be interesting to learn how they handle this issue.

Archived