Los Angeles Hotels

mandrews2u

well we aren't coming till Sept. I just always plan my land itinerary way in advance, we come into the LA Port on Saturday 7am, probably disembark 9:30 to call it safe, then we fly out of LAX Monday at 12:30 pm, we were going to just spend the almost 2 days seeing LA but the coastal drive has always been a something I dreamed of doing, I have spent my life living on the east coast and traveling up and down it, never been to west coast with the exception of Vancouver & Victoria,BC This cruise also does those 2 ports plus Astoria, Catalina & San Fran, so I finally get to see some of california.

Does Princess use San Pedro port? I just need to know when we do come so that I can line up a car rental in advance.Anyone have any suggestion of where to get a really good map that I can study to learn the California east coast area, so I am not totally lost wehn I come. Is one brand better than another?

Does Princess use San Pedro port? I just need to know when we do come so that I can line up a car rental in advance.Anyone have any suggestion of where to get a really good map that I can study to learn the California east coast area, so I am not totally lost wehn I come. Is one brand better than another?

Princess uses San Pedro. Right off Harbor Blvd exit of the freeway.

Wow, I ent the last few days re-reading all the suggestions ( let hubby) read them as well, deffinetly decided when we disembark on that Saturday in LAX Sab Pedro Port that we will immediately take a taxi to LAX like cecil terwiliger suggested and catch a flight from rent a car and thenhead down the coast and have the optimum time before we fly out of LAX on Monday at noon. Had also thought of flying out of Longbeach ( jetblue) as pvmeistrel had suggested to Oakland BUT there flights are at 10am ( not sure we could make it, depends on disembarking time) then their next flight isn't until like 4 o'clock, waste to much time waiting for that I think.

Both are so cheap, Jetblue is only $44 and southwest only $49, well worth it to have the extra time enjoying the scenery instead of rushing from LAX up to Montery and then Rushing back to LAX all in 2 1/2 days, these boards are soooooooo helpful for people like myself that are traveling to areas they have no idea the distance from one spot to another. Thanks again everyone.

Just be aware that you are going southbound on 1 that way, which is the outside lane, so you must be brave and a skilled driver. Okay as long as cliffs overlooking the ocean don't bother you and the weather is with you. The redwoods at Big Basin are also worth it if you go over the mountains (880/17--same road). If you take the other route (101) then you could make a quick stop at San Juan Bautista, see the mission and grab a great Mexican meal at Dona Esther's if you like Mexican food. It is a short and easy drive off the road and SJB is charming and the mission in a small enough area to see in a short time. You can even take the path from the stable area to the mission itself and take a peak at the San Andreas faultline, complete with Richter scale! SJB is past Gilroy in San Benito County, off to the east side of 101.

You will love the Golden, we were on it a few summers back for the Northern European tour and it is a lovely ship. Huge, but compartmentalized enough to never feel in a crowd. Be sure to go up in the "shopping cart handle" during the day, the view is amazing. Have a wonderful trip...and be sure to check the CHP reports.

O.K. now you scared the crap out of me!!!!!!!!!! Yes I am a skilled driver but I am the one who really wants to sight see, my husband doesn't get quite as excited as I do with the beauty of the land. I grew up in new England and I just love driving the old scenic roads, up & down, up & down, but along a cliff, yikes!! Is the whole coastal drive so very close to the edge? Are there guard rails? I had already decided that I will make sure I have an alternate route mapped out incase of rainy weather, I hate driving in rain. This may be the slowest my Husband will ever witness me driving.Last year we got up on the Blueridge Parkway ( in dec I think) and it had started snowing, I got so scared I headed right back down,ha,ha,I don't trust my husbands driving, he's a lefty and for some reason he always seems off center. I do not think I will share your message with him, he will say lets just see LA instead, ha,ha Thanks for all the useful info, we love mexican, I also saved your other suggestions, I ahve it all uin my folder to reread and reread, I love planning,the cruise itself is always so exciting but I love to end up and start off somewhere i have never been.

We just finished a portion of the northbound drive today... We caught Hiway 1 in San Luis Obispo and drove all the way home. The whole time we were driving up (we have done this drive before) I was thinking that I needed to get on here and recommend that you DO take the southbound trip. Your views as you come around each bend will be spectacular, especially between Monterey to Lucia (south of Big Sur)... it will also be easier for you to pull over quickly for views and photos. You will do fine and they do have guardrails as you get to areas that are a little tougher. Just take your time, and if you get locals that start to pressure you to go faster, just pull over and let them pass at the next vista turnout. The area near Big Sur is prone to landslides, so pay attention to road conditions. They are still cleaning up the slide in Lucia which is down to one lane... I have done this drive a few times (we camp down in the Big Sur/Lucia area) and the views never cease to amaze me. If the weather is nice you will have lots of opportunities for photos. Just after the Bixby bridge, stop at the next turn out and try to get a picture looking back at it. Pretty famous bridge around here....

If you don't get the Big Basin, you could alway stop at my FAVORITE state park and that is Pfieffer Big Sur State Park. You can go in for day use and enjoy the redwoods, a short hike to the waterfall and a picnic lunch (or lunch at the restaurant) - I love it there!

Enjoy the drive - it is breathtaking at times! I will keep my fingers crossed for good weather for you.

O.K., I'm convinced again, I'm gonna make that drive, I will just take it slow and easy and heed the advice to just let others go past at the desired speed even if I pull over every 10 minutes.The pictures of the coast are so gorgeous, I know already that we will want to come back some year and spend a week or so in california and really take our time.But I simply cannot come end up in california on that ship and NOt see some of your coastal area. Did I mention I am not comig to the end of Sept. What is your weather like then? As if we can predict weather anymore. We have been having a draught here for a month, no drops of rain, and then yetserday out of nowhere I had peices of hail the size of quarters all over my back yard , it rained so hard, tornados were topuching down like crazy all aorund us, tree's were bending in the back yard like they did during the hurricanes, and an hour later the sun is out, weird ha?Does california get real cold that time of year? I would think the breeze of the ocean would be chilly by late Sept,no? I know I ask tons of questions.

The weather can be as unpredictable as anything. I live on the Monterey Bay and September tends to be my favorite month. The weather warms up a bit... almost like a mini summer for us after the tourists have gone back to school. But again, California weather is unpredictable. We left San Pedro to go to Hawaii... we rode out a huge storm. Wave were so big on the beach, a surfer broke his leg... huge swells going out. We kept hearing about the weather in CA on the ship... yet, when we returned, it was in the 80's... um this was in January!! So, that gives you an idea. :)

Interesting thread. I drove from LA to Moro Bay along 101/1, fed the seals, continued on highway one to Santa Cruz and was a little north of Oakland in time for dinner. I forget when I left, but it might have been fairly early (like 6 or 7am). At any rate, I'm not going to jump into the middle of the debate on that drive.

As everyone has noted, there are two cruise ports in "Los Angeles". The port in Long Beach is used by Carnival and the port in San Pedro is used by everyone else. The two ports are about 10 - 15 minutes apart by car (I have driven between the two several times, but don't recall if it took 10 or 15 minutes).

At any rate, here is an overview ...

LAharborarea.jpg

The Diamond Princess docks where the Monarch is docked ...

Overview.jpg

Thanks for the pics of the port,so much easier when you have a visual.

We now know what we are doing, I have been on Priceline trying to bid on hotels, no luck yet. We will spend the first night in Monterey and the second night in either Santa Barbara or an Luis Obispo, which is better?, Any

thoughts anyone? I know someone had suggested places to stay but I can't find where I saved the info. My hubby said maybe a bed and breakfast would be better. Also any suggestion for a moderately prices Seafood resteraunt on in Cannery Row.

You have all been so helpful, anyone out there ever want to come visit Florida, I've been here 30 years so can give you lots of info.

Thanks.Mary-Ellen

• 4 months later...

Hello I hope you enjoy your visit out here. I just wanted to add a little note. If you find yourself in the Paso Robles area and are a wine drinker (or want to be) you must make time to go wine tasting. The area has outstanding wineries. If wine tasting sounds enjoyable there are even trolleys, limo tours and shuttles you can take to the different wineries. You can't see them all- it would take a year most likely! Just google wine and Paso Robles and I am sure you will find enough to keep you busy. Some wineries have tasting fees. Some waive that with purchase. Most will give you a glass to keep when you pay the fee. My daughter works in the industry so I never pay. :) If it sounds like something you might like to do leave a post here. I will have her compile a list of some great must see places.

By the way San Luis Obispo will probably be cheaper than Santa Barbara. Its about 40 minutes from Paso and about an hour from the castle.

Archived