I'm the Packing Queen

molaurie

I just want to brag because I'm so proud of myself. I knew I could do it! My goal is to bring only a carry-on on my upcoming Transatlantic(14 days). I'm gonna do it! Here's what I've managed to fit in one small rolling carry-on bag: 2 pairs of pants, 2 skirts, 2 shorts, 2 swimsuits, somewhere between 5-7 tops, 2 jacket-type items, 1 jogging pants. All of this is mix-and-match. Easily washable in the sink and drip-dry. 7 socks, 14 underpants, 3 bras. Plastic baggie with 3 oz. size or less of travel-sized hair conditioner(I'll use the ship's shampoo, can't be THAT bad!), wrinkle-remover spray, lotion, sunscreen, hair spray and as little make-up as possible. Medication. Small bag with jewelry that can mix-and-match with everything. Black sandals, 2 pairs. Curling iron. I'll wear a nice jogging outfit and athletic shoes. I'll carry a small backpack with a travel purse inside, my documents, passport, 2-3 paperback books to read, small notebook for travel journal, other misc. little necessities.

Footloose and fancy-free, and no worries about lost luggage!!!

In contrast to last November's cruise when I brought a 12-ton suitcase full of everything but the kitchen sink, and didn't even wear half of it!

Is a RX required for what you are on? :) I'd like to get some for my DW!

Congratulations! Well done. Opps, now I can't show your list to DW 'cause I posted this. Oh well.........

dforeigner - yes, curling irons allowed...the haven't banned them yet:) I take one with me every week. (I fly weekly for business)

molaurie - WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!! I pride myself in traveling lite as well, and you take it to another level. Obviously, I have some work to do....hmmm...

dforeigner - yes, curling irons allowed...the haven't banned them yet:) I take one with me every week. (I fly weekly for business)

molaurie - WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!! I pride myself in traveling lite as well, and you take it to another level. Obviously, I have some work to do....hmmm...

Fabulous! I couldn't find it on the TSA site! I am NOT packing all my stuff in a carry-on though! LOL! I am taking the big bag! I envy you though:D!

That is great. I have traveled very light in the past. My problem arises when I must pack to go home. Unfortunately I cannot buy diamonds for everyone on my list. Anything larger becomes a problem.

Fran

Awesome! You definitely are the Packing Queen. We are flying to our cruise this summer instead of driving to the port and I am challenged to get all my stuff into a 28" suitcase. LOL

Great job!

I just want to brag because I'm so proud of myself. I knew I could do it! My goal is to bring only a carry-on on my upcoming Transatlantic(14 days). I'm gonna do it! Here's what I've managed to fit in one small rolling carry-on bag: 2 pairs of pants, 2 skirts, 2 shorts, 2 swimsuits, somewhere between 5-7 tops, 2 jacket-type items, 1 jogging pants. All of this is mix-and-match. Easily washable in the sink and drip-dry. 7 socks, 14 underpants, 3 bras. Plastic baggie with 3 oz. size or less of travel-sized hair conditioner(I'll use the ship's shampoo, can't be THAT bad!), wrinkle-remover spray, lotion, sunscreen, hair spray and as little make-up as possible. Medication. Small bag with jewelry that can mix-and-match with everything. Black sandals, 2 pairs. Curling iron. I'll wear a nice jogging outfit and athletic shoes. I'll carry a small backpack with a travel purse inside, my documents, passport, 2-3 paperback books to read, small notebook for travel journal, other misc. little necessities.

In contrast to last November's cruise when I brought a 12-ton suitcase full of everything but the kitchen sink, and didn't even wear half of it!

what about formal wear??? and shoes??? They take a suitcase alone:eek:

molaurie, that sounds great! After many years oftraveling with DH and 3 kids I too have managed to get it down to a manageable level. I'm all about the ease of traveling and I absolutely hate schlepping big suitcases anywhere!! My theory is this...if I don't pack it I can buy it when I arrive. (lol)

Well Queen, prepare and abdicate,,,

My mom went on a three week trip to China, one week land, two weeks cruise, and all with a carry on. Being a women it is easier since silky tops don't take much room, and she packed a silky dress with some jewerly for formal night.

Being a senior she didn't need high heels, just some nice leather low heeled sandals, and wore some good walking shoes.

People pack too much, me included, I never wear it all.

Congratulations Laurie--You are a girl after my own heart! Having done a one month Europe trip with just one carry-on, I know it can be done. And not that you were looking for advice, may I just add the following? Add one 3 oz bottle of Tide to your luggage (for laundry), remove half the underpants and one bathing suit (they wash and dry easily). Don't forget to use the "roll it up in a towel and stomp on it" drying method. Consider adding a pair of cheap flip flops to have when you want to slip off your real shoes and let your tootsies rest.

And if anyone else wants to learn how to travel light, check out RickSteves.com and onebag.com. Its almost as addictive as cruising!

Wrinkle remover spray???

Ok, I am 50% Polish so I have to tell you all....

I sat here for about 2 minutes wondering what kind of spray you could spray on your face that would take wrinkles away. Then it hit me. FOR THE CLOTHES YOU POLLOCK!!!!

(if you are polish,too, I don't mean to offend. You do have to admit we ALL have our moments!)

I am totally impressed by your packing prowess! You are my new packing role model!

I'll carry a small backpack with a travel purse inside, my documents, passport, 2-3 paperback books to read,

If you haven't gotten your books yet, I always recommend Alisa Allan's cruise novels. www.AlisaAllan.com All 6 feature a cruise in them.:)

As another poster said, you will now be my packing hero if it works! I'm always the one that says I'm going to pack this way and then I'm pulling up to the port with a box truck! You'll have to let us know when you return what the verdict is.:D

Also note there is special travel underwear( expensive!, got it at a Tilleys Endurables store ) that is guaranteed to dry over night, instead of bringing 14 pairs of underpants you could just bring three or four. I have these undies and they are comfortable and do dry quickly, although in humid areas I think they take more like till mid day to dry, which is why I recommend bringing 3 or 4 pairs. I also bring only two bras, skin colored and black.

Does anyone know if you can take Ice skates on plane? I assumed they would be ok in checked luggage, but when I looked on airline website, I didn't see it mentioned under sports equipment. Going on cruise in Feb and thought it'd be easier on my feet if I could being my own skates for cruise. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

P.S. There is no way I could get all my clothes in one carry-on. I'll have to post picture of my husband with all of our luggage from our first cruise!

We did end up using all of clothes, except we had more formal wear than we needed. There was only 1 formal night, they seemed pretty leanient the other nights.

I only have one question. WHY?

I have a 29" suitcase and a 22" suitcase and a carry-on. Whether I am going for 1, 2 or 3 weeks of vacation. I don't wear the same clothes at home more than once, nor do I wash out underwear at home. I'm certainly not going to do that ON VACATION. I usually have packing down to a science, and wear everything I take. The cruise to New England/Canada was a challenge, as I had sweats for day wear but knew I didn't want to wear that in the dining room, thus had two outfits for each day. Then there were three formal nights and I won't wear the same gown, and a fourth night for the White Masquerade Ball.

Maybe if I took vacations to the jungle where you sleep in a tent and have to backpack everything in, or as Rick Steves hosteling across Europe, the packing might be different. But I don't take those kinds of trips, so I want my elegant gowns, and enough underwear to not worry about washing them out in the sink.

Of all the trips I have taken, the only one I lost my luggage on was my very first trip to England in 1987. The luggage wasn't really lost, it was in Dallas. We just made the flight, but our luggage didn't. It finally caught up to us after three days. American Airlines reimbursed us for any expenses.

So I don't see the need to try and pack any lighter.

We may all have to re-think our vacation plans anyway, if the airlines all start charging for checked bags, as is in the news right now with a few of the discount airlines.

Thanks for all the additional tips, everyone! And I didn't even think about the curling iron not being allowed, but it sounds like it'll be okay. If not, I could always pack rollers(not the hot ones however). Or go with the wind-blown look.

Everything can be dressed up or down. Black slinky skirt plus slinky top and you're set for formal night! Check out Chico's Travellers for clothes which are wrinkle-resistant, adaptable, etc. Most of my clothes are just like that. I haved squished them all into plastic baggies.

The whole idea here is to be "footloose and fancy-free", to not have to stress about lost luggage, etc. I'm going to Europe. On my first cruise last November, I packed a 3 ton suitcase and huge dufflebag full of everthing but the kitchen sink!!! I didn't even use/wear HALF of the stuff! But I was driving right to the pier. Still, it's a hassle. This time will be different!!!

Archived