QE2 Refit

guernseyguy

From LLoyd Werft's web site looks like there is quite a lot of work going on - including 'upgrading entire teak wood decks' - Carnival is continuing to put money in (for a nasty moment I wondered if they'd 'do a Norway' and after QM2's success in New York suddenly announce that 'QE2 is sicker than we thought - RIP') - but then I'm just an old cynic who didn't believe they'd build the QM2..

There's life in the old girl yet! icon_smile.gif

Peter

On the QE2 last month there was much work being done replacing the little round plugs on the deckings. Will renovation be just a simple sanding as with floorboards in a house or will the decking be removed and relaid. Also can never understand why the hand rails are not varnished.

David.

It was my understanding (we were on board same time as mufi/David) that during refit that on the Sun Deck all of the teak would be removed and the metal underneath would be entirely removed, then replaced and than new teak. I believe who told us this within Cunard staff knew this to be "the plan" and that the information was accurate, not speculation. We heard lots of other info about what was going to be done during refit(including some of the Princess staterooms being redone) but that information less relaible even though came from crew. In the "reliable" category: most of the money is being spent on technical. oh yes, and a big plus for those of us who need/want to be in touch via internet, the computer center is being entirely redone and will be up to date - the contract is up with the company that has the equipment (ancient).

We think it would be exciting to see QE2 while she is out of the water for the refit. Anyone ever been to this yard and do you think you could get pictures? We're avid enough lovers of The Queen to fly over and give it a try. Ideas? Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Dear Crouton, Thank you for your "Live from QM2" - we enjoyed very much. Did you see Maureen, Cruise Hostess? Remembering her fondly from QE2 (and how she so effortlessly announced by name each guest to the Captain at the Captain's Cocktail Party and seeing her in the Discovery Channel a few nights ago), we wondered how she is doing on QM2...is there any mention of her history with Cunard - I believe she is the only crew member to have sailed on 4 of Cunard's liners.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wotec:

Dear Crouton, Thank you for your "Live from QM2" - we enjoyed very much. Did you see Maureen, Cruise Hostess? Remembering her fondly from QE2 (and how she so effortlessly announced by name each guest to the Captain at the Captain's Cocktail Party and seeing her in the Discovery Channel a few nights ago), we wondered how she is doing on QM2...is there any mention of her history with Cunard - I believe she is the only crew member to have sailed on 4 of Cunard's liners.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's nice to know you enjoyed my reports, Wotec. Thank you.

Maureen is alive and well on QM2. I saw her in full form as the ringmaster of the hat parade/contest on Ascot night.

She has a sense of humor which is both funny and cuts a little too deep for my taste at times -- but she was certainly in her element.

Crouton

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> They are wear grooves caused by water sampling lines. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I've seen those as well, but thought they were caused by the ropes for the "Welcome Home / Mind Your Head" signs. I don't know for sure, just my thought.

Regards, Colin.

Re: The Welcome Home Sign, towards the end of the World Cruise, the crew holds an auction to raise funds for their World Charities and one of the hot items was the World Cruise 2004 Welcome Home banner. It sold for something over $600 or $700. Would be great on the gate of a country home or wherever. The auction was great fun - if anyone interested is what other memorabilia was auctioned, I'll put my thinking cap on.

As to renovations on One Deck - we think it is the Pavillion - where cont b'fast and light lunch is served - where the ice cream machine is located.

Archived