Northbound Cruise

brendielee

Hello ! We are leaving from Vancouver on May 19th aboard the Sapphire Princess ending in Whittier. When I booked the cruise in November I did a gtd. AD. With a request that we get a cabin on the Starboard side. A couple of weeks ago we were notified that we recived a visit from the upgrade fairy and we now have rooms E724 & E728. Both on the Port side:( . So, do you think we will be disappointed being on the port side? And, having an uncovered balcony? This is our first cruise so really don't know what to expect. When I spoke to the Princess agent (I booked through Princess) she said that we will see land no matter what side we are on and that the balconies are tiered? Thanks for any info about this.:rolleyes:

The port side is what is going to get all your glacier viewing, with commentary, IF you want to stay in your cabin. And yes both sides do get scenic views during sailing part of the trip. Take a look at a map.

Hey cruisemate! You are sailing with us, be sure to check the Roll Call for this cruise and have your name added to the list. We are on starboard side on the Aloha deck up front. We were also told that Port side does see land/glaciers and sometimes that side even gets to see it before the starboard side.

We booked early (Sept 06) so we had a little more variety on where our cabin was. Originally we were on the Dolphin deck, but as I reseached more I found that the balcony was totally uncovered and weather could be unfavorable so we moved up to Aloha with a covered balcony.

Don't worry WE'RE GOING TO ALASKA!!! (I have to keep telling myself that since its my first cruise:p )

See you onboard

Hey Cloverseeker,

I did register on the roll call ! I see that you are from Florida, are you flying in a day early? We are flying in the same day:confused: I hope we have no delays! How does one find out which decks are covered? I've been looking and can't find the info! Hope to meet up with you onboard!

brenda

Since my first cruise isn't until September, I'm probably not the best person to field this question but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night. :D When we booked our cruise, our TA happened to recommend CC as a "resource." Since then, we have done a lot of research on numerous subjects, one of them being cabin E728. The mini's on the Emerald deck are covered. You have a bonus in that E728 has a longer balcony with an aft view. We actually switched from a starboard mini to E728 after we booked. You can search the Princess board and this one for "E728" or "E731" and get tons of info.

Here is the link to the deck plan. Check out the balcony space!! http://www.princess.com/ships/sa/deck/sa_emerald_index.html

It is my understanding that there isn't a single bad "view" on an Alaskan cruise. :) And for Glacier Bay and College Fjord, the ship narration is from the port side.

Your trip is so close!! How can you stand it?? I am so jealous!!

OOPS, my goof....we were originally on the Emerald Deck and were upgraded to D724 and D728. Do these balconies look down on the lifeboats? I am so excited I can hardly wait.....can I start packing now????:D

Hey Cloverseeker,

I did register on the roll call ! I see that you are from Florida, are you flying in a day early? We are flying in the same day:confused: I hope we have no delays! How does one find out which decks are covered? I've been looking and can't find the info! Hope to meet up with you onboard!

brenda

We are flying in the day before, my nerves couldn't handle flying in the same day...too many "what if's??". We booked everything through our TA so she has us in the Four Seasons in Vancouver that Friday.

Almost everything that I have learned about cruises, Alaska & the ships I have learned through this website. It is a wealth of valuable information and everybody seems so helpful.

We have been shopping for the last couple of months for odds & ends that we wanted to bring as well as for clothes. The luggage is out and ready to be slowly stuffed:D .

NOT MUCH LONGER!!!

Since my first cruise isn't until September, I'm probably not the best person to field this question but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night. :D When we booked our cruise, our TA happened to recommend CC as a "resource." Since then, we have done a lot of research on numerous subjects, one of them being cabin E728. The mini's on the Emerald deck are covered. You have a bonus in that E728 has a longer balcony with an aft view. We actually switched from a starboard mini to E728 after we booked. You can search the Princess board and this one for "E728" or "E731" and get tons of info.

Here is the link to the deck plan. Check out the balcony space!! http://www.princess.com/ships/sa/dec...ald_index.html

It is my understanding that there isn't a single bad "view" on an Alaskan cruise. :) And for Glacier Bay and College Fjord, the ship narration is from the port side.

Your trip is so close!! How can you stand it?? I am so jealous!!

TCB2007 - How can you find whether your balcony is covered or not? I've looked at the site and found our cabin (a mini suite with balcony on Dolphin deck) but can't see any mention of whether it's covered. We're also on starboard so I think I should try to get us moved to port.

We're very lucky - only 5 weeks to go and we can't wait. I agree with everyone else, this site has been a fantastic resource. I don't know how we would have managed without it!

Hello ! We are leaving from Vancouver on May 19th aboard the Sapphire Princess ending in Whittier.

You are going to love Sapphire Princess to Alaska!

Check out our trip report and pics at

Sapphire to Alaska

I think our itinerary was a bit different than yours will be, but it will give you a good idea of the ship and the ports. She is a gorgeous ship.

Have a GREAT cruise!

TCB2007 - How can you find whether your balcony is covered or not?

It is confusing!!:) I have gotten my info from these boards.

As I understand it, the ship is shaped like a wedding cake--smaller at the top, and larger at the bottom, so that some of the lower decks extend past the upper decks. On the Emerald Deck, there are a few mini-suites with balconies, all of which are totally covered. On the Dolphin deck, all balconies are open (except aft).

Here is an excerpt from another post (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530584&highlight=diamond+balcony):

For Grand Class Princess ships ( Grand, Golden, Sapphire, Diamond, Star, Caribbean, Crown and new Emerald) - regular balcony cabins on port or starbord side of ships on decks Lido, Aloha, Baja, Riviera decks are sized 9 ft. wide x 5 ft. deep and are fully covered by ceiling overhang. No one can look down on you but those below can look up at you if you are standing at balcony rail.

Caribe deck cabins on starboard and port sides are sized 9 ft wide x 9 ft. deep and are covered by ceiling overhang for first 5 ft. When sitting under this cover, no one from above can see you.

Dolphin deck (mini-suite) cabins on starboard and port sides are sized 9 ft. wide x 7 ft. deep and have no ceiling overhang. No privacy from those standing on balconies above you.

Aft facing Category BB balconies on Baja decks, Caribe deck and Dolphin are regular balcony cabins but the balconies are sized about 11 ft. wide x 10 ft. deep and are fully covered by ceiling overhang. No one above or below can see you.

And here is a pic (provided by sun&sea) on above thread:

attachment.php?attachmentid=38833&d=1173718508

In my opinion, even if you have a port side balcony cabin, you should be out on the Promenade deck for Glacier Bay. Best to get a view on each side and you can move around from side to side quickly if desired.

Archived