Questions about 15 day cruise, Marquesas versus Cook Islands Cruise

Ridley

I am planning to book a 15 day cruise on the Paul Gauguin. Should I choose the Marquesas Islands cruise or the Cook Islands Cruise? Are there any advantages of one over the other? Also, What would be the best side of ship for cabin choice?

The Cook Islands cruise gives you opportunities for beaching, snorkeling and renting a car to drive around Rarotonga, exploring on your own. Rarotonga is a modern, developed Pacific island with restaurants, shopping and public transport. Aitutaki and Tubuai (in the Australs) are less so, but both are charming. People are friendly and outgoing.

The Marquesas, on the other hand, are wild and mostly undeveloped. Ship's excursions consist almost exclusively of visits to archeological sites. Restaurants are virtually nonexistent, as are swimmable beaches. Paved roads tend to end quickly, turning into rutted tracks. Forget taxis or people waiting at the pier offering tours. None of this is criticism, however...the Marquesas are spectacularly beautiful, like the Na Pali coast on Kauai, and way off the beaten track.

We've done both cruises, and it would be impossible to express a preference for one over the other.

As to which side of the ship, I recommend the port (left facing forward) side. Ninety percent of the time, shore tenders are launched from the starboard side, and as another poster on this board noted recently, that can add up to a lot of noise when you're trying to enjoy your starboard-side balcony.

Archived