Please be careful...my family got sick on the Spirit

last week. We thought it was sea sickness but it got worse as we got home and we have all the symptoms of Norovirus (google). Our waitress was sick with a stomach bug the last two days and we ate at the midnight buffet which is a open buffet and the whole ship is there breathing on the food (skip it imo).

Please be careful.

last week. We thought it was sea sickness but it got worse as we got home and we have all the symptoms of Norovirus (google). Our waitress was sick with a stomach bug the last two days and we ate at the midnight buffet which is a open buffet and the whole ship is there breathing on the food (skip it imo).

Please be careful.

Do you remember the name of your waitress? I will be sailing on Sunday on the Spirit and want to make sure she isn't our waitress or to ensure anyone else doesn't look sick. I also need to pass this one to my Roll Call group.

Also do you remember drinking water in Mexico, even if it was from one of their sealed water bottles out on land?

Thanks

Fred

I have to agree with Duck. There are sooo many different viruses, you should really have a doctor confirm it. If it is Noro, then at least the ship can be notified that there has been a family infected.

From what I understand, when you have Noro you KNOW you have Noro. It's not a fun one to deal with.

I hope you all get well soon!

I have a question that pertains to Suburban Drudgery's mention of buffets and possible contamination.

So if we put aside the question of airborn contamination, that still leaves serving spoons and tongs on the buffets. What I mean is that as each person serves himself, whatever contamination may be on his hand is now on the spoon handle too. And then here we come with our nice freshly washed hands and use the same serving spoon. Has this been addressed by any of the cruise companies?

Sometimes I do like to go to the buffet...

Just wondering....

Has this been addressed by any of the cruise companies?

Yes it has... Every cruise I have been on they have emphasized virgorous hand washing before meals in order to help reduce the spread of germs/viruses... you can't force people to wash their hands, sadly... but if you are worried about the buffet, also be worried about the handrails, doors, seats, tables, etc. There are germs EVERYWHERE!! Wash your hands often. I very rarely eat at buffets... but on a cruise ship, they scare me even more... just seen too many kids grab something and put it back... ick.

I have a question that pertains to Suburban Drudgery's mention of buffets and possible contamination.

So if we put aside the question of airborn contamination, that still leaves serving spoons and tongs on the buffets. What I mean is that as each person serves himself, whatever contamination may be on his hand is now on the spoon handle too. And then here we come with our nice freshly washed hands and use the same serving spoon. Has this been addressed by any of the cruise companies?

Just wondering....

When I Sailed on the Pride Last year, I went to the Grille where the Burgers and Hot Dogs are cooked, I noticed that the Tongs were inside not where you can go and reach for them to serve your own fries, the cook told me they have it like that now so that they are the only ones to touch the tongs and not everyone else to reduce contamination.

Thats a pretty good Idea. Unfortunately its not like that at the Buffet, I will check next week.

Take Wet ones wipes and or sanitizing gell with you and wash your hands often.

Fred

Just wondering....

Yes they do address it. And when there is an outbreak, or a cluster of outbreaks...you may see servers at the buffet table serving your food and the tongs turned toward them, not toward the outside.

There are different ways that each cruiseline handles it. Disney squirts antibacterial liquid into the hands of anyone entering the buffet area. Some just set up antibacterial stations outside the buffets.

They all encourage handwashing. But you know how that goes.

I don't see what the difference would be between a cruise ship buffet and a land based restaurant buffet. Every buffet I've ever been to, wherever it may have been, everyone uses the same serving utensils. I would think that anyone who goes to a buffet (whether it be on a cruise or not) is aware they will be sharing serving items with others. Make the decision for yourself, but let's not get people all up in arms over it.

Please be careful.

Thanks for the info. Just another good reason to remind people to be careful and wash your hands.

You had the symptoms confirmed or not. Good enough for me.....

Whether its Noro or not, it's no fun to be sick. I sure there are people on every cruise ship that come home sick. That's just part of life. As others have mentioned, you can take action to help eliminate your chances of catching whatever virus is out there.

When I Sailed on the Pride Last year, I went to the Grille where the Burgers and Hot Dogs are cooked, I noticed that the Tongs were inside not where you can go and reach for them to serve your own fries, the cook told me they have it like that now so that they are the only ones to touch the tongs and not everyone else to reduce contamination.

Thats a pretty good Idea. Unfortunately its not like that at the Buffet, I will check next week.

Take Wet ones wipes and or sanitizing gell with you and wash your hands often.

Fred

That is a really good idea.

Have you been tested for NORO or are you assuming. This requires a stool sample.

NORO is not an airborne virus.

Maybe you should google before playing chicken little.

You didn't have to be snarky Mr. Big Duck. I was only trying to warn people to be careful and to wash their hands often.

I love to cruise and got stomach flu in Paris so it can happen anywhere on any trip. This will not get us to stop cruising at all only to be much more careful next time. We don't blame the ship or anyone. It's a ship with a lot of people together all the time.

I hope everyone has a good and healthy time on their cruise. I don't remember the waitress name but she was Chinese and very nice.

Thanks for the info. Just another good reason to remind people to be careful and wash your hands.

You had the symptoms confirmed or not. Good enough for me.....

I agree.... whether it was NORO or not, it was a good reminder to watch our habits.

Thanks OP.

Sorry, but anitbacterial gel means just that - it kills bacteria, not a virus. Personally, I don't worry about it - I eat at buffets at home and touch all kinds of things that probably have a virus on them - that's just life. But, if it really bothers you, then take a supply of those disposible gloves and keep them on while you serve yourself and take them off prior to eating. Remember, you can pick the virus up on most surfaces that someone infected has touched, so it will be really dificult to protect yourself 100%. S#*%t happens, hopefully not while you are on vacation.

You didn't have to be snarky Mr. Big Duck. I was only trying to warn people to be careful and to wash their hands often.

I love to cruise and got stomach flu in Paris so it can happen anywhere on any trip. This will not get us to stop cruising at all only to be much more careful next time. We don't blame the ship or anyone. It's a ship with a lot of people together all the time.

I hope everyone has a good and healthy time on their cruise. I don't remember the waitress name but she was Chinese and very nice.

Did you guys have any Bottle Water in Mexico? Wendy and her sister got sick from the Bottle water she was given in P.V. also do you remember the name of your Waitress?

Fred

I agree.... whether it was NORO or not, it was a good reminder to watch our habits.

Thanks OP.

Yes reminders are always good, but Noro outbreaks are serious, and if it isn't confirmed as Noro it shouldn't be call that.

Especially with the "never get anything right" media sniffing around this site.

On our Liberty cruise a couple weeks ago we made sure to constantly wash our hands. They even have papers next to the restroom doors so you don't have to touch the handles when you leave. They did say that the antibacterial gel does not do anything to keep the norovirus away. Luckily, we stayed healthy!

I'm wondering....is it possible to just use your silverware to serve yourself at the buffetts? That way you are only touching your own stuff. I know it will be harder serving yourself with a fork or a smaller spoon, but I guess if you are truly worried about germs this may be an option. Is it doable:confused:

I'm wondering....is it possible to just use your silverware to serve yourself at the buffetts? That way you are only touching your own stuff. I know it will be harder serving yourself with a fork or a smaller spoon, but I guess if you are truly worried about germs this may be an option. Is it doable:confused:

But if someone "contaminated" touches the tongs, and then the handles of the tongs slip into the food (I haven't been on a cruise buffet, but I've seen that happen TONS of times at land based buffets, I assume they use a similiar set up) then the food now has been touched. It doesn't matter what YOU used to pick it up with.

Or if you use the tongs directly, and get it all over your hands, one would assume you are using silverware to eat- meaning it still isn't touching your food. It's always a good idea to keep your hands away from your mouth (says this nailbiter, who really really wants to quit!)

There are lots of "bugs" or "virus" that can mimic the symptoms of Noro but without having it medically confirmed that is starting a really bad, big rumor that can get way out of hand. It is not just the buffet utensils that can cause problems; anywhere you put your hands is a potential problem. Things like door knobs, a can of soda, a glass you drink from, anything that someone could have touched before you. It is impossible to completely protect yourself from every germ. Hand washing and common sense are your best defense.

Another big possiblity for symptoms can come from something that is not often thought about. When on the islands everyone is always concerned with not drinking the water while there but........do you have a drink with ice? How about a frozen "Foo-Foo"? Did you eat food on the island that may have had water used for preparation? Did you eat fruit that had been washed in the water? Did you use eating utensils that had been washed in the water? Water is a big way for transportation of "bugs" and "virus" symptoms and is used for many purposes other than drinking.

Well, I kind of agree with the "Chicken Little" reference earlier. It's one thing if a single family gets sick (then it probably is not Noro), and quite another when hundreds of passengers get sick.

The laws of probablity say that the OP's family did not contract Noro (since no outback has been reported), but some other sort of unknown bug.

Well, I kind of agree with the "Chicken Little" reference earlier. It's one thing if a single family gets sick (then it probably is not Noro), and quite another when hundreds of passengers get sick.

The laws of probablity say that the OP's family did not contract Noro (since no outback has been reported), but some other sort of unknown bug.

Actually, the thread title has been edited removing most of the "chicken littleness". ;)

Please be careful.

The red flag I see in your post is a sick waitress who continues to serve food. That should have been reported. Anyone displaying symptoms of a GI problem should NOT be involved in food prep/service.

Archived