Please be careful...my family got sick on the Spirit

I like the buffets also, but kind of got turned off when a lady in front of me spooned some food onto her plate.....then took her finger and wiped off the spoon and licked it.

That might have been a woman, but it was no lady. :(

Our waitress was sick with a stomach bug the last two days and we ate at the midnight buffet which is a open buffet and the whole ship is there breathing on the food (skip it imo).

Please be careful.

He said most people do get it from the bathroom handles on the doors and the elevator keys.

So now should we be warned to not use the elevators or bathrooms???

BTW - any cruise ship employee who is ill with flu-like symptoms is quarantined. We went through 2 assistant waiters on my last cruise.

Avoiding the buffet for 7 days is not going to protect you from picking up a bug. Please stop telling people to not eat at the buffet so they won't get Noro - it is an outragous and inflamatory statement.

Do your best to protect yourself, both on land and at sea. WASH YOUR HANDS WITH SOAP!!! It still amazes me how many people I see in restrooms who simply rinse their hands after using the toilet - and this is just in my office building!!:eek: Every time you walk outside your home it is a crap-shoot, do what you can to better your own personal odds.

Well said, TimmysMom, I don't know how some folks even have fun on their cruises worrying about everything. I WILL NOT be the person on my ship with the rubber gloves, face mask and hairnet. I will use common sense and have fun!

That might have been a woman, but it was no lady. :(

The other thing I witnessed at the buffet was a small child around 5 years of age running his tongue along the edge of the shelf that you move your tray along as you go through the buffet. He started at one end and went to the other. Mom never said a word. :eek:

My dd called me yesterday from Seattle where she is attending business meetings at the Sheraton. She had been up all night sick. I told her she probably had Noro!

Honestly, it could have been food poisoning, the 24 hr bug, morning sickness, overworked and run-down, changes of atmosphere, allergies, who knows? I just told her to use her hand sanitizer religiously and take some imodium and tylenol! What can a mom do when she's 900 miles away? But she's doing great today after going to the spa last night!

Ok, I didn't want to point out the obvious here, but she thinks she had Noro so she went to the spa anyway? Wouldn't that be invited more people to get sick?

I know she doesn't want to lock herself up in a bubble but is heading to the spa the best thing to do when you're sick?

I hope your entire family is feeling better now.

Ok, I didn't want to point out the obvious here, but she thinks she had Noro so she went to the spa anyway? Wouldn't that be invited more people to get sick?
That was my first thought, too. Just spreading the love.:p

Funny..... I dont think I mentioned water. Idiot.:rolleyes:

ummmm...this is your quote:

If you had anything to eat in mexico or drink even beer and wine use water from mexico.

I guess you can interpret that a couple of ways:D

ummmm...this is your quote:

If you had anything to eat in mexico or drink even beer and wine use water from mexico.

I guess you can interpret that a couple of ways:D

Ahh Crap i didnt even read it. Feel free to shoot me. Just aim for my head around my foot in my mouth. I know what i meant to say in my head. Im actually a retard.

!!!EDIT*** I cruise tommorrow Shoot me when i get back suckas.

Every stomach bug is NOT Norovirus. There are so many different viruses. Remember those 24-48 hour bugs that everyone got in elementary school a couple of times? I find since my boys have grown up and aren't in school anymore, we never get sick. I hardly ever did anyway, but I haven't had a stomach bug in at least 8 or so years. Just because someone comes home sick from a cruise does not mean norovirus. If it truly was, more than one family/group would have it. You have to be hygienic everywhere, not just on a cruise ship. For all those that think ships are where this virus mainly hits, cruise ships fall down at least 3-4 on the list of where people catch it. We've had two hotels in the DC area in the last 6 months with outbreaks. Schools, nursing homes and hotels all have higher rates from the last numbers I have seen. I agree about not worrying about it. I have never gotten sick on any vacation and we have stayed in multiple hotels, two cruises, condos, etc. My DH travels a lot for work and navy reserves and he never gets anything either. Washing your own hands protects you as well as everyone else, but the reality is, nothing is foolproof. And as for using utensils on the buffet, unless you eat with your fingers, you should be okay.

Ahh Crap i didnt even read it. Feel free to shoot me. Just aim for my head around my foot in my mouth. I know what i meant to say in my head. Im actually a retard.

!!!EDIT*** I cruise tommorrow Shoot me when i get back suckas.

Hey don't worry........I thought it was funny.

Have fun on your cruise tomorrow.....I'm jealous:(

NOW THIS IS INTERESTING!!!!!

My mom and dad were on the Spirit in mid March. It was an 8 day cruise out of San Diego. My dad became very sick on board and when they arrived in Acalpuco, they took him by ambulance to the hospital. My mom and a ship staff member quickly packed up all of their belongings in the cabin and my mom took a taxi to join my dad at the hospital. He remained in the hospital for 4 days. It was an intestinal virus and when they came home and went to their regular doctor and had the charts read (which were all in Spanish) typhoid (sp?) was written on the paperwork.

Now, they had not been in any ports, this was their 1st stop. So my dad had only eaten food on the ship. The doctor told them that he could have gotten sick simply by being served a plate of food from somebody who had the germs on their hands and transfered it to the plate etc.

Their 8 day cruise was ended, they had to stay in the hospital fly home, etc.

I am leaving in the morning for a cruise, I went and bought a small travel container of Lysol wipes.....

I hope your husband feels better, my dad is still not up to speed and it has been 2 weeks.

To make matters worse, when my mom was quickly packing up her things to catch a taxi to join my dad, she left her jewelry in the room.....its gone now. Granted it wasn't expensive stuff, just some her favorite little pieces.

again, hope you husband and family are well.

Just because someone comes home sick from a cruise does not mean norovirus. If it truly was, more than one family/group would have it.

The op has another thread going stating it was her family

Then they went to the dr when they got home and he diagnosed it as noro....

Or is it this thread......I'm so confused.... Oh yeah post 46

Yes it has... Every cruise I have been on they have emphasized virgorous hand washing before meals in order to help reduce the spread of germs/viruses... you can't force people to wash their hands, sadly... but if you are worried about the buffet, also be worried about the handrails, doors, seats, tables, etc. There are germs EVERYWHERE!! Wash your hands often. I very rarely eat at buffets... but on a cruise ship, they scare me even more... just seen too many kids grab something and put it back... ick.

Absolutely! I never eat at buffets & when on the ship will only take something if I'm the 1st one there(when they open). A virus can live for hours! I once said something to a mother of a child who took something, then put it back. I got some snide remark back, even though I was very polite.

I once said something to a mother of a child who took something, then put it back. I got some snide remark back, even though I was very polite.

This would be the same parent with the child in the pool with a diaper on!:eek: Also making a snide remark back at the cruise staff that told her to remove the child.:o

Why can't parents look at all sides before making a remark of "NOT MY CHILD".

Mom of three

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to gently remind anyone that you should also wash any fruit you take off the buffet. I literally watched 4 people ahead of me in the buffet line pick up several pieces of fruit, inspect them, turning them in their hand, and then PUTTING THEM BACK IN THE BOWL!! ICK!!!!! At least with the serving spoons, the crew wipe off the handles every few minutes. I couldn't eat fruit all week. :(

Just got back on the Spirit March 15. This was our second time for the Spirit and love the ship. However, as I stated on another post, the level of service (cleanliness) was not at the same level as any of our other Carnival cruises. I felt bad, but after finding staples and toe nails throughout our room after the second day, I finally had to complain to the Pursers desk. Carnival immediately addressed the problem. However while waiting in line at the Asian buffet, the line suddenly came to a halt. It turned out the egg rolls were not toughly cooked and were still cold. The cook then started taking back the egg rolls from people’s plates with tongs and put them back in the cooker. Two women passed the egg rolls back in their hands and the cook grabbed those also and placed them back in the cooker. :eek: Granted the oil would kill off any bugs but I was greatly concerned with the lax attitude the staff took.:( Wont eat in the buffet again but wont stop cruising with Carnival neither.

Just got back on the Spirit March 15. This was our second time for the Spirit and love the ship. However, as I stated on another post, the level of service (cleanliness) was not at the same level as any of our other Carnival cruises. I felt bad, but after finding staples and toe nails throughout our room after the second day, I finally had to complain to the Pursers desk. Carnival immediately addressed the problem. However while waiting in line at the Asian buffet, the line suddenly came to a halt. It turned out the egg rolls were not toughly cooked and were still cold. The cook then started taking back the egg rolls from people’s plates with tongs and put them back in the cooker. Two women passed the egg rolls back in their hands and the cook grabbed those also and placed them back in the cooker. :eek: Granted the oil would kill off any bugs but I was greatly concerned with the lax attitude the staff took.:( Wont eat in the buffet again but wont stop cruising with Carnival neither.

Ugg!

The toenail thing makes my skin crawl.

They need to hang a box of disposable papers or tissues or something at the beginning of the buffet. Everyone grabs one, and grabs the buffet spoons with them, then throws them away at the end of the line.

They need to hang a box of disposable papers or tissues or something at the beginning of the buffet. Everyone grabs one, and grabs the buffet spoons with them, then throws them away at the end of the line.

THAT IS SUCH A GREAT IDEA! I WISH THEY WOULD DO THAT!

Why thank you! I've thought of that the last few times we've cruised, and wonder why it hasn't occured to them??? I guess we could always grab our own napkin and do it, but it would be so much nicer to use an antibacterial cloth. Kill two birds with one stone. :)

Archived