My Pride Review 3/25-4/1

BelizePlease

Carnival Pride – March 25th to April 1st

This was our fourth Carnival Cruise, sixth overall, and certainly not our last! We enjoy the friendliness of Carnival employees and the liveliness “after dark”. There were 10 people in our group – myself (32), my two sisters (34 & 35), my Mom (60), my “Aunt” and her sister (60 & 60ish), my two “cousins” (26 & 28), my neighbor (34) and her Mom (59). One guy in the whole group…bless his soul. J

We flew in to LAX from Chicago on Saturday afternoon/evening. We stayed at the Coast Long Beach Hotel. You can see the Queen Mary from the balconies there. Great place to stay. There’s a shuttle bus that will take you to the Queen Mary for no charge. They do drop you off at the opposite end of where the cruise terminal is though…be prepared for that.

We got to the QM early for early-check-in…around 9:30. Check in was quick and easy…and from there we just had to wait.

**a side note about the check-in lady, Mary, who checked us in…one of my VERY few complaints on our trip. My Mom and I got Gold Sail & Sign cards and my sisters both got the “newbie” Red, White and Blue cards. This confused us, as we were all past guests. We mentioned this to Mary – and she said “Oh – well they must not have known you were past guests.” My sister said, “well, will we be invited to the Past Guest Party??” She said…………”Well, cheese and crackers and a couple of watered down drinks aren’t my cup of tea, but if that’s your thing……you can ask the Purser.” Unreal.

Anyway…

The Pride was late coming in that day, so the wait was a bit longer than we’d anticipated. The embarkation process in Long Beach can only be described as a complete Donkey Show. There is no organization there…and everyone ends up swarming to the front and ignoring anyone who was there first. Not that I wanted to be THE first one on the ship, but it’s just ridiculous. We were the first ones in line for Group 1 – and we were not on the ship until after 2:00, I think! The good thing about this, was that our staterooms, 5123 & 5125 located on Upper Deck Forward, were ready to go when we got on. We dropped our bags and headed up to the Lido deck for lunch and cocktails.

My sisters went to the purser right away to get their cards changed, which they did…and mentioned Mary to the Purser – who was completely appalled that she had said something like that. They also requested that our balconies be opened up for the week. (which was done the next day!) We spent our afternoon out by the Aft Pool (adults only). Many complained that it was cold…which it was a BIT cool…but to us Chicagoans who were on vacation…we didn’t care!

We attended the Muster Drill – and went back to the Aft Pool Bar for more cocktails before we had to get ready for dinner at the late seating. We had table 101 upstairs with Bonijan (sp?) and Ketut (sp?) as our waiters. (I think our drink waitress was named MuMu…but I only know that from speaking with one of the pool bar waiters!) Our waitstaff in the dining room was quite disappointing…as they really slooooooooooooooooooooow…….and made no attempts to talk to us on a personal level – which we were quite used to in all of our past cruises. We all understood that it was not part of their job…but makes the week much more enjoyable. The food all week was excellent, despite the slow service. The warm chocolate melting cake made quite a few appearances throughout the week…and is something not to miss. I am not a chocolate lover…and this was awesome. J I won’t go through what I ate all week…

The first sea day and the last sea day were not the best we’ve had on our cruises…but we were on vacation. Any COOL sea day is better than any warm sunny day at work! We still enjoyed the pool – and made great friends with Dexter back at the Aft Pool Bar.

Our second Sea Day was warm and sunny and beautiful!!! Things got a bit crazy back at the Adult Pool…as there was a large group of college kids on board. But they certainly didn’t ruin our vacation – nor did they cause any trouble. Sure makes you feel old though! Chairs were certainly not easy to come by on our cruise…but we’re early risers on vacation and like to be out and situated by 8:00 am. Lots of disappointment from those coming out after noon or 1:00…

Something new to us this cruise was a DJ back at the Aft pool…which was cool. We didn’t have to hear the same “muzak” cycled through – BUT…the DJ tended to play the same songs every day! And…he wasn’t the friendliest guy either…and didn’t seem too happy to take requests. Any requests we asked for…he didn’t have – but it was still enjoyable nonetheless.

As far as the entertainment on the ship…I’d say the production shows we saw were really good. There were two acts during the week that had my jaw on the floor. I just could not believe Carnival was paying these people to perform on stage!! One was a gentleman with a puppet – I think it was a big bird…and I think he was supposed to be a ventriloquist. This show was sooooooooooooooooo bad…we walked out. The other act that was a sight to see was a man named Pepper…who was a “physical” comedian. I don’t know what in the world was funny about him. We stuck it out through his “boards and barrel” act…because we wanted to see Jerome, the comedian following Pepper. As far as other stuff going on through the week…we enjoyed Lloyd in the Atrium – although he became sick after the first night and went missing for a few days. The Cruise Director, Jeff Bronsonn (sp?), was a big cheeseball…but he certainly didn’t make or break my week. The Mexican Fiesta on the Lido deck was a fun night – even if you don’t participate in all the dancing, etc. Great people watching!

PORTS…

If you’re planning to do any excursions through the ship…buy your tickets EARLY! We sometimes do our own thing…and sometimes do Carnival excursions. Last year when we were on our Carnival excursion to the Panama Canal – we got back AFTER they blew the horn to leave port – so we kind of get scared into doing the ship’s excursions. But we’ve never had bad luck.

Puerto Vallarta

We (the younger part of the group) did not have an excursion planned for this day – so we got off the ship to see what was offered right on the pier. We met up with Luis…who offered to take us to the “pretty beach”. For $15 a person…he’d take us out…and then pick us up at a scheduled time. For $25 each…he would stay with us all day. We decided to keep him with us. J We drove around for a bit…as he talked all about the town and the people. My sister is very inquisitive…and asks a LOT of questions…and he was happy to answer them all. He took us to a small Tequila Factory – where they entertained us with dancing before the free tour. A young lady took us through and explained the process of how they make the Tequila. At the end of the tour…she took us to the “Happy Room” where we sampled at least 10 different kinds of Tequila. (whoa!) After that, we were able to purchase if we wanted. Luis then took us to Curly Shell Beach for the day. This was a small beach located right in front of a small resort area. (when I say in front of…it was below the “cliffs”…) There was literally nothing there but the beautiful beach. Not even many people – a few locals. We were looking for refreshments – so Luis told us to head up to the resort and they would hook us up. Next thing I know…my cousin John is coming down the stairs of the cliff with the Bartender in tow…carrying a huge garbage can full of beer and ice! Sweet! That guy got a huge tip! He even checked back with us after several hours to see if we needed anything else. Awesome service. Wish I knew the name of the place! After several hours at the beach, we were hungry…so we told Luis we wanted to take him to dinner. He took us to Los Arbolitos…where we had great food and strong margaritas. Then he took us back to the pier, where we were able to hang out, shop, etc. until we had to be back on board. GREAT day.

Mazatlan

We were on the Carnival Excursion here – we went to Stone Island. We got off the ship…to get back on a catamaran to head over to Stone Island. We got some history on the boat ride, along with a free drink…and were at Stone Island in no time. Once we got there, we got into “Mexican Limousines”…which were tractors with big open-air carts attached to them. Seeing parts of Mazatlan makes you really thankful for what you have at home! We arrived at the beach – and basically enjoyed the sun and water there all day. Lunch was included – as were the drinks all day long. They have a restaurant and a bar…and bathrooms and showers, etc. Down on the beach TONS and TONS of locals are there trying to get you to buy stuff. I’ve never been so badgered in all of my life. They have a roped off area in front of the restaurant/bar/facilities there where the vendors aren’t supposed to be allowed to go…but then you can’t be out by the water either. A stern “no thank you” got rid of most of them, although they come back again and again and again……and again!

At the end of the day we got back to the ship the same way…

Cabo San Lucas…

We went on the Carnival “Cabo by Land and Sea” tour this day. Basically…they drive you around on a boat for 40 minutes…out to see the Arch…saw some adorable Sea Lions…and then it was back to land to get on a bus. Throughout the trip – we went to the Glass Factory, a “lookout” point where we were offered a free drink, the town square where we could shop/eat/etc., and then to a cactus farm. Once back to the pier – you could stay downtown, or hang out by the shops/bars by the pier.

We had a great, great trip…although I’m not sure I’d go out of Long Beach again at that time of year. We are stuck going at the same time each year, and it’s just a little too chilly for sea days for me in March!

If anyone has any questions…I’d be happy to try and answer them – Sorry, my “review” is written completely from memory and I feel like my thoughts are all over the place! I’m still swaying today…and very much missing Dexter by the pool. I’ve already started searching for next year’s adventure!

The warm chocolate melting cake made quite a few appearances throughout the week…and is something not to miss. I am not a chocolate lover…and this was awesome.

z2.jpg

Puerto Vallarta

Luis then took us to Curly Shell Beach for the day. This was a small beach located right in front of a small resort area. (when I say in front of…it was below the “cliffs”…) There was literally nothing there but the beautiful beach.

68.jpg

We were looking for refreshments – so Luis told us to head up to the resort and they would hook us up. Next thing I know…my cousin John is coming down the stairs of the cliff with the Bartender in tow…carrying a huge garbage can full of beer and ice! Sweet!

71.jpg

Mazatlan

They have a restaurant and a bar…and bathrooms and showers, etc.

101.jpg

Cabo San Lucas…

...and then to a cactus farm.

129.jpg

I'm editing to add a few photos...

Thank you for your review... We loved the Pride! We had some of the same experiences as you did (slow service with not much interaction.) - but all in all, we loved the week.

Just know that no matter what time of year you sail the Mexican Riviera, you will have a day or two of cool weather. We have done this itinerary in June when it was so flippin' hot in Mexico - and the last day was still very cold & windy. On the way back they crank up the speed to get home... and it makes for cold & breezy ride home.

Glad you had a good time. We are looking forward to stepping onboard again for Christmas!

schoolsout15: We LOVED our balcony. It's so nice to hang out there when you sail away enjoying some cocktails!

43.jpg

42.jpg

We've had both a regular balcony and an extended balcony - both are nice. When we have had the regular balcony - we've had the partitions opened between our two staterooms...so it was an extra looooong balcony! You'll have a great time out there. :D The stateroom was nice as well. PLENTY of space for two...even three I'd think. Lots of storage space!

GB Chicago: does the GB have anything to do with Green Bay?!?

suziehmkr: would have loved more interaction with the waitstaff. Generally we leave our cruises feeling like we're leaving family behind! They were all very nice...it just wasn't the same. :) SOOO jealous that you'll be there for Christmas! We always talk about a Christmas cruise...maybe some day we'll do it.

SmooCruise: I LOVED our day there too! I'd do it all over again the same way next time!! I can't wait to go back to Peurto Vallarta. Definitely one of my newest favorite ports! :D

We are sailing on Pride in just over 2 weeks and can't wait! A quick question regarding the early check in. How does this work? I understand that you go the queen mary and get an area 1 pass or similar. Then you either get in line or come back later. What about luggage? We are staying at the Renaissance Long Beach the night before. Should I take my luggage with me to early check-in or leave it at the hotel and come back later? Any advice would be appreciated!

We are sailing on Pride in just over 2 weeks and can't wait! A quick question regarding the early check in. How does this work? I understand that you go the queen mary and get an area 1 pass or similar. Then you either get in line or come back later. What about luggage? We are staying at the Renaissance Long Beach the night before. Should I take my luggage with me to early check-in or leave it at the hotel and come back later? Any advice would be appreciated!

When you bring your luggage with you...a porter is available by the parking area...they will take your luggage with them...and you can proceed to the early check-in area. Just make sure to tell them you are coming and not going! (people will be coming OFF the ship!) :D

I knew reading your post exactly who you were!!!! I was sitting next to you guys that first night listening to Llyod. I am the blonde and my husband is the big bald Marine!!! I will post some pics when I can figure out how with the new camera I used!!! To funny. I saw your group the entire cruise and it really looked like you all had a good time!!! I agree the college kids at the pool were to loud...it was annoying. And the DJ was not the friendliest either. We loved Lloyd though, he was probably the best entertainment besides Jerome. Lloyd was his own man...a real coolness about him. Looked like he could have been a Beatle. What was that song he was singing that you guys kept on chiming in on...it was hilarious.

Good to see your smiling faces again!

I knew reading your post exactly who you were!!!! I was sitting next to you guys that first night listening to Llyod. I am the blonde and my husband is the big bald Marine!!!

302158581207_0_BG.jpg?a=4

You are in our pictures! (Friends of Lloyd).

What was that song he was singing that you guys kept on chiming in on...it was hilarious.

We were singing along to American Pie.

Enjoyed the review. We sail the Pride in Nov (Thanksgiving cruise).

We were on the Liberty in Jan. Loved it. The bedding on the Liberty was so nice. Much better than any other cruise (10 cruises)

Question....how was the bedding on the Pride? Is it updated like on the Liberty?

Thanks.

Enjoyed the review. We sail the Pride in Nov (Thanksgiving cruise).

We were on the Liberty in Jan. Loved it. The bedding on the Liberty was so nice. Much better than any other cruise (10 cruises)

Question....how was the bedding on the Pride? Is it updated like on the Liberty?

Thanks.

We were on the Pride in February and the bedding was great, all the new stuff and very comfortable!

Thanks for all the great info and advice- I can't wait!! I will be a first time cruiser- I would love to meet some folks on here that are going at the same time. My soon to be husband and I are very excited!!!

My neighbor and her Mom were first time cruisers too. They are both already talking about next year! :D I do hope you have a great time - we always do!

You might try checking the Roll Call boards to see if there is a thread out there for your sailing date. :) That's a good way to start to meet people...but you will also meet PLENTY of people on the ship!

We were in a cat. 11 suite and I loved the bedding...so much so that I may buy the pillows online. Now the thread count on the sheets was like, 200, but my husband and I were shocked...we thought for sure they were 600. Now I do not know what was more awakening, the thread count or the fax that my husband new what a "thread count" was!

Archived