Train From Civatecchia To Rome

lucky7/11

Does anyone know if taking a train from Civatecchia to Rome is relatively easy to do with one large suitcase on wheels after disembarking? We prefer doing this for the experience and to save money and wonder if it is feasible?

Thanks.........

It is feasible - and so much cheaper than a cab. The train station is not too far from where the ship will dock - you can grab a quick cab to the train station. They have express trains and trains that stop more often - but it only takes about 1 hour. Pay the extra few buck to go first class - not much difference in accommodations - but it is never as crowded.

Do you know if there are steps one must drag their luggage up or down? Also, can one buy first class on either the local or the express? :confused:

At Civitivecchia train station there are a few steps - the biggest problem we had was getting the bags onto the train itself - there is no one at all to help you. When you get to the train station - it is pretty clear how to purchase tickets - and don't worry - most all counter people speak some English. First class can be purchased at the station ticket booth.

Can you claify the difficulty getting the bags onto the train? Are there high narrow steps and no platform?

You need to step up about 3 feet into the train (or leap) - and the entryways are not that wide. Come to think of it - one of our times taking the train we did have someone who met us outside of the train station ( we thought he was an overanxious porter) who helped us by tickets and help us into the train with our luggage. He then asked for a huge tip. He just hung out helping people for tips. So you may run into someone like that.

Our experience on taking the train was totally different.

The Ship docked at least 2 miles from the Station ( a long way down the Port ) and there were no courtesy buses running nor taxis available. If more than one Ship is in Port getting a taxi was very difficult we were told.

The temperature was in the 90's and it was a long hard slog in the blazing sun.

Getting the train was simple but at Rome the train arrives at the furthest platform from the main Station, I estimate a walk of about half a mile again in the heat. There were no taxis available and we ended up on a local bus to where we wanted to go !!!!!!!!!!

Would I do that again......not in a million years. But many do. I guess it really depends where the ship actually docks.

We are there in the Summer and will choose the O transfers to Rome for a day on our own.

Brian

If you are in Rome anytime between June and September, the weather is going to be hot. When we docked at Civitivecchia we were a long way from the station and I remember I didn't see any taxis around. We prebooked a limousine to take us from the ship to the airport and that was great as our driver was waiting for us when we disembarked, with no hassles.

I wouldn't try and struggle with luggage after a cruise onto a train. It is hard at anytime, when one is travelling with only one lightish bag each. We have used the trains throughout Europe extensively and it is no easy feat as there is always quite a lift up from the platform to train plus it is often hard to find room in the area reserved for luggage once on board the train.

It would be a horrible way to finish a lovely cruise if you had to struggle to the train, try to board it with your luggage and then have a long walk at the end in Rome to either the end of the platform or to your hotel.

In the long run, with all the expenses incurred of getting to Europe, the cruise, cost of excursions, hotels etc, the cost of a taxi or limo to Rome is very small.

Jennie

I agree with everything that has been said; we were at the port a couple of years ago on Oceania and there was some sort of courtesy van that ran between the port and the train station. Indeed the entrance into the train is difficult if you are alone and have a large bag. I did not see any sort of porters there. Tickets were easy to purchase.

Archived