Which Ship is the best for Alaska?

newbie2468

Thinking about going to Alaska on a cruise land tour.. Is it better to land first and cruise later or do the cruise first? When you stay at the cruise lines hotels is everything included (meals, etc.) like the ship or do you pay for your meals? In your honest opinion which land tour is the best? I am thinking only 3 days on land possibly 4.. So I want to get the most for my time..

Thanks for any info..

Oh and the best month to go?

Best Cabin... Port or Starboard

We haven't even gone yet, but I think if I were doing it again, I wouldn't book the land portion with the cruise line. However, we're a group of 12, and it's too difficult to do the land on your own and make that many people happy. I think I'd fly to ANC, rent a car, and drive to Denali and back and possibly go to the area around Seward, etc. before boarding a southbound cruise. We didn't want to spend more than 10-12 days total. My assumption is that you want the port side of the ship if going south. I'll let you know in 3 months if I think a balcony is necessary and/or worth the extra $.:rolleyes:

I'm going to get flamed, but I don't think any of the 3 day cruisetours are worthwhile, all time is in transit and way too little at the destination. Just about always- only the worthless Natural History tour is included- only the public road section 16 miles in out of the total 90. My min. distance in is Fish Creek via shuttle bus and neither tour goes that far. DO YOUR HOMEWORK, and understand FULLY everything about the tour and what you are purchasing- I do have to say, most people do not. They then come to these boards and find out information that may not be desirable, and too late to do anything about it. Denali Park is usually the highlight, I can not find ANY good reason to spend all that time and money to get there, and then not get into the park. It's 6 hours via bus Anchorage/Denali Park, 8 hours via train.

No meals are included unless specified. Budget about 50% more than you would at home for a cushion. Rarely are the meal plan options any savings and do become limiting.

Hi newbie2468,

As far as is it better to do the land tour before or after an Alaskan cruise, it is a toss-up. I enjoy sailing Northbound to Alaska and watching the scenery get more beautiful every day. The plus side of doing the land tour first is that after the land tour is over you can just sit back and relax for seven days on a cruise ship.

As BQ said meals are not included unless specified.

I also agree with BQ and am not a fan of land tours offered by cruise lines. We always just rent a car and drive when in Alaska. The savings for two will be about 1/2 of what the cruise lines charge for the land tours. The Alaskan toursaver book can also save a lot of money if you are doing your own land tour. I have one to use after a cruise coming up this May and the book will pay for it self several times over. If you can possibly arrange it, a week would be far better to see part of Alaska.

Many cruise ships are available for Alaskan cruises. When considering which cruise ship to take, I would be aware of the propulsion problems that have plagued the Celebrity Infinity and Summit for the past six years.

Our favorite month to go is May. There will still be a lot of snow on the mountains and the weather can be very nice.

We always try to get the Port side of the ship because as you enter Glacier Bay and College Fjord most of the glaciers will be on the port side.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for all of your helpful hints... After looking at the land tours and thinking of the costs, I agree with BQ, also. I think renting a car and driving to those places would be far more economical and we would probably see a lot more and at our own pace !

Sunshine gal.. were you southbound or northbound when you were on the port side?

Thanks again

Tory

I have cruised Alaska both directions several times. I like southbound for the daylight sailing of inside Vancouver Island.

IF you only want to view Glacier Bay, and/or College Fjords from your balcony, you need a port side cabin, no matter which direction you sail.

Planning is the key, so to not have the lable of needing to "relax" on the cruise- due to too tight scheduling and being a marathon trip with too much time in transit. Time is necessary. Sometimes less distance is more worthwhile then constantly moving. Especially in Denali Park, 2 days is needed here.

Archived