QM2 A question

BettyBoop3850

Hi I am booked on the QM2 for the Sept 27th 12 night Canada New England cruise rt from NY. What is the best way to find out where you dock or where you get off if the boat has to tender in certain cities so I can plan my sightseeing and shopping plans. Itinerary is:

Portland Maine
Sydney Nova Scotia
Cornerbrook Newfoundland
Quebec city Quebec
Charlottetown Prince Edward Island
Halifax Nova Scotia
Newport Rhode Island.

Also any suggestions on must see's in these ports would be appreciated

TIA
Michelle

HAL Rotterdam 1977

RCCL Song oF Norway 1988

Celebrity Galaxy Oct 24th 03

Hi Charlotte. You're in for a treat. I've done the New England cruises three times already, and always had a ball. The QM2 is so big that you will probably have to tender ashore in many of these ports - definately Sydney, Cornerbrook, and Newport. The dock in Portland is somewhat removed from the center of town so you will need to take a shuttle bus, The QE2 docked right downtown in Quebec City, so I imagine that the QM2 will be able to as well. Wait till she turns around in the St. Lawrence River - all of Quebec City will turn out just to see her sail.

Must sees: Take a whale watch excursion if it is offered, and take a New England Lobster and Clambake if it is one of the excursions. Walk around Portland up and down the main drag - beautifully restored old city. Sydney - a very quiet little town - walk the back streets and look for the tiny maritime museum. Take the Cornerbrook boat ride that goes up and down the fjords. In Quebec City, take the cable to the top of the old city and walk around in the Frontenac Hotel - there is a great gift shop in the hotel. Halifax, take a city excursion that includes the fort, the gardens and the maritime museum - and stop off to see the graveyard where the victims of the Titanic are buried (secret discovery - Anna from the King and I is buried in the same graveyard). In Newport go on the excursion that takes you inside one of the mansions (cottages they used to call them). I highly recommend the Breakers! If you have time and it's a nice day, take the Cliff Walk, and shop the boutiques on Thames Street.

And while you're in New York, don't forget to go to the top of the Empire State building - corny but oh so worth it!

Archived