Spur-of-the-minute non-booked tour at pier?

CeleBrat

Has anyone done this? Just gotten off the tender at the pier and found a random van driver to give them a tour? Are there people waiting at the pier to "snatch-up" non-booked visitors?

If you've done it, what was the cost, and what did you see?

Thanks!--CeleBrat

Yep, we just did this in Grand Cayman a couple of weeks ago. There were all these van drivers holding signs with destinations and prices. We were a little leery so we asked a port authority person and they said, yes, they are very safe. She called over one of the van drivers to talk with us. For $20 a person he drove us all over the island. We stopped at Hell, Tortuga Rum Cake Factory, 7 Mile Beach, the Conch House, and past all kinds of other places. He was very knowledgable and entertaining. We opted not to go to the turtle farm or he would have taken us there also. At the end when everyone was getting out of the van, we asked him if there were any restaurants he would recommend. He said "Jump back in! I will take you to my favorite restaurant". We ended up having a nice buffet lunch without walking distance of Georgetown. We walked back to town, shopped, had some drinks. Grand Cayman was our favorite port!

Yep, we just did this in Grand Cayman a couple of weeks ago. There were all these van drivers holding signs with destinations and prices. We were a little leery so we asked a port authority person and they said, yes, they are very safe. She called over one of the van drivers to talk with us. For $20 a person he drove us all over the island. We stopped at Hell, Tortuga Rum Cake Factory, 7 Mile Beach, the Conch House, and past all kinds of other places. He was very knowledgable and entertaining. Grand Cayman was our favorite port!

How long did your tour of the island take? 1-2 hours or is that much too long?

After we do Stingray City we'd like to do just that type of tour and wonder if we'll have time - but don't know how long it would take. :p

I hope they're waiting for tourists in the afternoon when we're in port. :)

Thanks for the info everyone! I have been looking at tours, but they seem quite expensive ($69 p/p), so I'm hoping to just "wing it" and get the $20 deal at the port. We are looking to see some of the sights on the other side of the island as we have already been to Hell and the Turtle Farm.

Thanks again!--CeleBrat

I have done exactly that in the Bahamas, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Mexico, Cartagena.

Always get a good price, and feel like I am getting info from someone who knows. And if they take you someplace to eat, it will usually be authentic, cheap and good.

Does anyone know if its possible to get someone once you get off the tender to take us to stingray city or do we have to reserve a tour beforehand.

Moby Dick has tables and unbrellas and signs right on the pier and you can book with them right there on the spot. They run tours every hour. :)

• 1 month later...
We stopped at Hell, Tortuga Rum Cake Factory, 7 Mile Beach, the Conch House, and past all kinds of other places....Grand Cayman was our favorite port!

Kcbookworm,

Did you visit the Tortuga Rum Cake Factory or one of their stores? If you did visit the factory, is it within walking distance of the port? Thanks for the info. :)

Princess

Yep, we just did this in Grand Cayman a couple of weeks ago. There were all these van drivers holding signs with destinations and prices. We were a little leery so we asked a port authority person and they said, yes, they are very safe. She called over one of the van drivers to talk with us. For $20 a person he drove us all over the island. We stopped at Hell, Tortuga Rum Cake Factory, 7 Mile Beach, the Conch House, and past all kinds of other places. He was very knowledgable and entertaining. We opted not to go to the turtle farm or he would have taken us there also. At the end when everyone was getting out of the van, we asked him if there were any restaurants he would recommend. He said "Jump back in! I will take you to my favorite restaurant". We ended up having a nice buffet lunch without walking distance of Georgetown. We walked back to town, shopped, had some drinks. Grand Cayman was our favorite port!

Do remember the name of the guide who took you around and where do you go for lunch ? Thanks for the info......

Kcbookworm,

Did you visit the Tortuga Rum Cake Factory or one of their stores? If you did visit the factory, is it within walking distance of the port? Thanks for the info. :)

Princess

Yes, we visited both a store and the factory. There is a Tortuga store very close the the pier. The factory is not walking distance.

Archived