Australia question / which cruise

starskyfan

My husband and I are considering either the November or the March 28-day cruise around Australia. Can anyone recommend which month would be better to take as far as the weather is concerned? I was also reading somewhere that the season for the box jellyfish is October through April in the North, and November through March in the south so that doesn't look good for either month we choose. Any input would be appreciated. In the end we may not have a choice which one we take, but if there are definite advantage to one over the other it may help us decide. Thanks, Brenda

Brenda,

Box Jellyfish are only found in tropical coastal waters north of around Bundaberg and from November through to April. They are not found in southern waters. They are also only found close to the mainland, so generally swimming around the islands is OK, but as always you should ask first. At popular swimming areas you will see warning signs. Unfortunately we also have another poisonous jellyfish called the Irikanji which is becoming more prevalent in tropical waters and around the islands. Personally I would wear a stinger suit if swimming in the ocean north of Bundaberg in summer.

As to the best time of year (March or November) I would favour November, but it's a close call on either. Leaving in November you will be cruising into the start of the wet season in the northern waters, so you will experience the odd thunderstorm and the possibility of rain, however November is generally a little early for cyclones (which also occur in our tropical waters). March is at the end of the wet season and a time when we still get cyclones, so the odds are stacked more against you for bad weather with a March departure.

I hope this helps.

Regards

David

Box Jellyfish are only in tropical waters, the link below may help you with more info. The Barrier Reef is safe all seasons.

http://www.barrierreefaustralia.com/the-great-barrier-reef/jellyfish.htm

Tropical waters are those areas north of the Tropic of Capricorn, see the attached map of Australia, the red line across the country represents the Tropic of Capricorn.

http://www.propcons.com.au/pics/ausmap.pdf

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks so much, you were both very helpful. I hadn't even considered cyclones! I guess it would definitely be cyclone season if they were to cruise during your summer months, but otherwise it would seem a better time to cruise than in spring/fall. I do worry about rough seas, but I'm not going to let it deter me. At least not until I have a particulary rough cruise then I may change my mind:)

I had read that article on the barrier reef but misread about the "south." I was thinking southern Australia. I'm sure most of our excursions will be land tours anyway because we want to see as much as possible.

Thanks again, Brenda

Brenda,

Box Jellyfish are only found in tropical coastal waters north of around Bundaberg and from November through to April. They are not found in southern waters. They are also only found close to the mainland, so generally swimming around the islands is OK, but as always you should ask first. At popular swimming areas you will see warning signs. Unfortunately we also have another poisonous jellyfish called the Irikanji which is becoming more prevalent in tropical waters and around the islands. Personally I would wear a stinger suit if swimming in the ocean north of Bundaberg in summer.

As to the best time of year (March or November) I would favour November, but it's a close call on either. Leaving in November you will be cruising into the start of the wet season in the northern waters, so you will experience the odd thunderstorm and the possibility of rain, however November is generally a little early for cyclones (which also occur in our tropical waters). March is at the end of the wet season and a time when we still get cyclones, so the odds are stacked more against you for bad weather with a March departure.

I hope this helps.

Regards

David

I have travelled north many times during both the periods mentioned. I would definately choose November over March.

My mum is also interested in doing the same cruise but despite my input she wants to go in March. There are no balcony cabins available according to her TA so she has been waitlisted.

Jane;)

I am of the opposite view, I would go in March. My reason is that once you get to Broome and then Perth, you will experience lovely weather as autumn down south is the best time of the year. Also up in Darwin, there is plenty of water for when you visit Kakadu.

There are a lot of ports where the weather would be more settled and they are: Perth, Bunbury, Albany, Adelaide, Melbourne, Burnie, Hobart and Sydney.

Autumn in the south of Australia is a beautiful time of the year and we are having wonderful weather here at the moment. It is 25C today and there is no wind. November/December is a much windier time of the year down here and can be very changeable with much cooler weather. In fact it can often be quite cold.

Jennie

I am of the opposite view, I would go in March. My reason is that once you get to Broome and then Perth, you will experience lovely weather as autumn down south is the best time of the year. Also up in Darwin, there is plenty of water for when you visit Kakadu.

There are a lot of ports where the weather would be more settled and they are: Perth, Bunbury, Albany, Adelaide, Melbourne, Burnie, Hobart and Sydney.

Autumn in the south of Australia is a beautiful time of the year and we are having wonderful weather here at the moment. It is 25C today and there is no wind. November/December is a much windier time of the year down here and can be very changeable with much cooler weather. In fact it can often be quite cold.

Jennie

We cruised from Darwin through to Broome last year in early May. The waterfalls were spectacular because of the heavy (I mean heavy- non stop) rain they experienced in March & April. I used to travel to the Whitsundays regularly at Easter but stopped doing it due to the wet weather. We always go in September - November.

Whenever you choose to go you will have a fantastic time.

Jane;)

Many thanks to all the replies. I guess there are pros and cons of each. March is a more convenient month for us, yet November is closer to our anniversary. In the end, I suppose we will go whenever the timing works out. At least now I have a better idea of what to expect. I am beginning to wonder if a cruise that covers part of Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, etc. would be better for the first time going over there anyway, just in case it is our last. There are just so many places to see and so little time to do it. Brenda

Hi Jennie,

I noticed your ticker saying you are going to Tahiti in June. We went on the 7-day cruise on the Pacific Princess 4 years ago. It was the best vacation I've ever had. The only drawback was that it was so short. The 10 day should be much better although you might get much warmer weather than we did. The Tahitian waters are by far the most beautiful of any I've ever seen. I hope you have a fantastic time! Brenda

Hi Jennie,

I noticed your ticker saying you are going to Tahiti in June. We went on the 7-day cruise on the Pacific Princess 4 years ago. It was the best vacation I've ever had. The only drawback was that it was so short. The 10 day should be much better although you might get much warmer weather than we did. The Tahitian waters are by far the most beautiful of any I've ever seen. I hope you have a fantastic time! Brenda

Brenda,

In March, 2004 we did the Cook Island Itinerary for our 40th anniversary. We had always wanted to visit Tahiti and we weren't disappointed. We decided that one day we would do this cruise which incorporates Hawaii as we haven't been there before. We also love the smaller ship.

We are now counting down the weeks and soon it will be days. We cannot wait until we leave here on the 3rd June. Thanks for your good wishes. :)

Jennie

Brenda,

In March, 2004 we did the Cook Island Itinerary for our 40th anniversary. We had always wanted to visit Tahiti and we weren't disappointed. We decided that one day we would do this cruise which incorporates Hawaii as we haven't been there before. We also love the smaller ship.

We are now counting down the weeks and soon it will be days. We cannot wait until we leave here on the 3rd June. Thanks for your good wishes. :)

Jennie

I totally overlooked that you were also going to Hawaii. That makes the trip even better. We lived on Oahu for 6 years. It's definitely built up compared to the Tahitian Islands, but is still very beautiful with so much to do. You must have had a hard time to decide what to do for excursions. I tried to help a friend pick out what to do and it was nearly impossible. Have fun. Brenda

Archived