Looking for Tour recommendations

TJNH

Hi!

My wife and I will be in Belize City on Thursday May 3. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a tour company they have used in the past. I've heard good things about Coral Breeze, but am not particularly interested in any of their tours.

We don't want to do ziplining or cave tubing, as my wife is pregnant. Also, she is deathly afraid of any kind of shark, no matter how harmless, so shark ray alley is out as well.

Would appreciate any responses! Thanks!

TJ

Hello, I just got back from Belize aboard the Grand Princess. We took a tour through the cruise line that included a jungle river cruise and trip to the Altun Ha mayan ruins. Depending on how pregnant your wife is and hat kind of activity level you are looking for, I found this tour great. Half the trip was by boat down the Olde Belize river. We saw all kinds of wildlife along the river including manatees, dolphins [no sharks], iguanas, crocodiles, black howler monkeys, bats and all kinds of beautiful birds. From the safety of the boat, these animals were not the least bit threatening. The second half of the trip to the ruins was on a bus down a very bumpy highway, maybe not the best idea for someone who is pregnant though. The main roads around Belize city were fine, but the back roads to the ruins were in big need of maintenance. From where the bus parks it is only a short walk to the ruins and they were really facinating.

I think getting away from the city is the best way to experience Belize. I loved it, but would check with whomever you book with about road conditions and activity levels for each activity. Enjoy!

Just got back from a week aboard the Carnival Miracle. We were in Belize on April 5, 2007. I booked the Xanantunich tour for our group of 13 through Island Marketing and they contract with Belize Cruise Excursions.

Our guide -- Junior -- was fantastic! We had our own van that, in spite of its looks was very comfortable and air conditioned. The ride from Belize City to the ruins was about 90 minutes, but Junior's discusion and knowledge of the country's history, wildlife, geography, economy etc. made it seem like a 1/2 hour ride.

The ruins themselves were spectacular. El Castillo is awe inspiring and can't be described with words. Junior shared much of the Mayan history with us and offered his own insights as to why the empire collapsed. We got to spend about 2 hours at the ruins and we loved every minute of it.

On the way back, we stopped at a local restaurant for lunch. We decided to eat it in the van to ensure getting back on time. The meal was rice and beans, potato salad and stewed chicken. We followed the food with a few cold Bilikin beers -- the local brew. It was honestly the best and most memorable meal we had on the entire vacation!:rolleyes:

We made it back to the pier in plenty of time to catch the tender.

This tour is well worth the drive time to get there and the tour comapny did a great job -- especially Junior. :D

Hi, Were in Belize in February. We had a wonderful horseback adventure in the jungle through Shoretrips. The wife may not do to well, but Shoretrips.com had several other options. The tour was on time and as promised so I would have no problem reccommending them.

darryl

We were in Belize April 5th and booked with Trevor and Cathy and had a great time! We did a horseback ride through the jungle. I know they can also set up ruins tours as well. The horses were great and even a first timer like me did well. :) They have 50+ horses and there are new ponies born regularly. They also have an animal whose name escapes me but is a cross between a rat and a rabbit! They wildlife people in Belize are talking to them about a breeding program.

My wife has back issues and did not ride with us. She stayed at the main location in a hammock and read while we were gone. She said she enjoyed the breeze and conversation. Even though it was probably in the high 80's or low 90's it was very comfortable in the shade.

We got a lot of local history from Cathy during the ride out and back and she prepared possibly the best meal we had on the entire cruise. The plantation is 1,000 acres with 200 acres of lime trees and when we got back to the main location, she had pitchers of fresh limeade waiting for us. The meal was wonderful and she topped it off with lime pie from the fresh limes and it had to be the best I have ever had. We also had fresh bananas and other fruits. There is a difference in the taste of fresh bananas vs. what we get here.

You can contact Trevor at trevor@smugglersrunplantation.com for more information. They have some big plans for the things they want to do there. I hope to be able to go back in a couple of years to enjoy the additions.

Archived