A HAL cruiser takes a ride on Dawn Princess

dakrewser

We just returned from the 3/21 sailing of Dawn Princess to the Mexican Riviera, our first Princess cruise. I've posted a not so much a review as a comparison over on the Holland-America boards and thought it might be useful to drop a pointer here for anyone who's interested.

We enjoyed the cruise and definitely found some things that Princess does better than HAL (or Celebrity) and, in fact, Princess now is #3 on our list of favorite cruise lines (HAL is #2, Celebrity #4)

The only real question remaining is for those who've sailed other Princess ships - are all the chefs "vinaigrette-challenged"? Do the all think that "vinaigrette" is French for "there's no vinegar in this thick, gloppy sauce"? :)

Thanks for posting your comments and doing the comparison. I know that someday we will take the plunge with another cruise line. HAL and X are both on the list. I especially appreciate your comparisons of the cabins and categories. Good job.

We just returned from the 3/21 sailing of Dawn Princess to the Mexican Riviera, our first Princess cruise. I've posted a not so much a review as a comparison over on the Holland-America boards and thought it might be useful to drop a pointer here for anyone who's interested.

We enjoyed the cruise and definitely found some things that Princess does better than HAL (or Celebrity) and, in fact, Princess now is #3 on our list of favorite cruise lines (HAL is #2, Celebrity #4)

The only real question remaining is for those who've sailed other Princess ships - are all the chefs "vinaigrette-challenged"? Do the all think that "vinaigrette" is French for "there's no vinegar in this thick, gloppy sauce"? :)

I've never had any thick gloppy sauce on my salads with their vinagrette. Could be the chef attached to the Dawn Princess.

Ron

Thanks for your thoughtful comparisons. I think Princess is a good fit for my family and our current situation, but when our kids get older I want to branch out more. Those who refuse to consider any cruise line other than their "favorite" are likely to miss out on some great experiences. Thanks again for taking the time to post your comments.

--Junglejane

We have done all three, First was Celebrity, the food was better than Princess by a hair, presentation was the best. HAL had the very best food and service, however, I had the best time on Princess. More of a night life and the price is more affordable. When I get older, I will most likely favor HAL, I'll fit in better, far less kids and more seniors.

Thanks for the "the way they stack up for me" comparison...

And your mystery #1 is...? (Proabably a luxe line... [which?])

I'm convinced overall mood has a lot to do with how one perceives a line (absent a major screwup).

I've been on HAL only once - Westerdam - and for the life of me that cruise made such a little impression on me - good, bad, or indifferent. I have the least recollection of that cruise then any I've been on and it was only 2 years ago! It says a lot more about my state of mind than the cruise experience.

I recollect that the ship was attractive and nice (but little else). I recollect that the cabin was extraordinary - but that was a booking anomoly - an aft corner suite with a corner wrap around veranda bigger standing alone than any total cabin I'd ever had... (but beside that, I don't recollect much). The dining servers were only fair... not bad mind you, but not expert either (quite, colonial-deferential; other service crew were friendly), food - OK/good - don't remember much. Oh - Half Moon Cay was a fantastic private island compared to Princess Cay (distinctively a lesser place).

In retrospect, my whole HAL experience was WEIRD! Which says more about me (or not) than the cruise. I figure I'll need to try a smaller HAL ship to get a more "classic HAL" experience; I'd go HAL again with the right itinerary-price.

When we were on the Dawn, we had a duo that played in the dining rooms and buffet area...as well as the atrium area....they played strings and flute..must have been off the ship when you were on...that's too bad, they were very enjoyable.

Re: the vinaigrette. One of the ladies at our DR table (Platinum) couldn't recall anything resembling the "vinaigrette" we were served, so it may well be that it was someone new on the Dawn Princess who came up with that!

Tahoestarr: I wouldn't know what was available anywhere in the "morning hours" - I don't get dressed before noon on a cruise like that! Thank heaven for room service!

Speaking of room service, I suggest people NOT hang out the breakfast card. We didn't, simply called whenever we finally got up and the steward was knocking on our door within 10 minutes!

CruisinCadie: Usually HAL offers interesting ports on the higher priced cruises, and competitive prices on the "same old" ports.

woodofpine: No mystery on our #1 - the late, lamented Renaissance. That's why we're hot to try the Tahitian Princess (or maybe Pacific Princess)

And I do encourage everyone to try (and compare) different lines. But pick a ship approx. the same size as your favorite Princess ship - and keep an open mind.

And, may I add, you folks are all being much nicer to me than the people on another board (I won't name them, just call them "X" for now ;)) when I posted a comparison of one of "their" ships to HAL's Oosterdam. Thank you all.

BTW, our captain was Andrew Froude - is he always, um, challenged? During the captain's reception he completely forgot the names of two of his executive officers and mis-identified a third! I was beginning to worry that he might forget which port was next :rolleyes:

BTW, our captain was Andrew Froude - is he always, um, challenged? During the captain's reception he completely forgot the names of two of his executive officers and mis-identified a third! I was beginning to worry that he might forget which port was next :rolleyes:

Maybe they just joined the ship or he is challened:D :D

Maybe they just joined the ship or he is challened:D :D

I think he just joined the ship, cause he wasn't our captain (Tony Draper), and then I think the next cruise, there was even a another one besides the one you've mentioned. Hmmmm...wonder why they are changing so often

I think he just joined the ship, cause he wasn't our captain (Tony Draper), and then I think the next cruise, there was even a another one besides the one you've mentioned. Hmmmm...wonder why they are changing so often

But you'd think he'd at least write the names down on a crib sheet!

:rolleyes:

That explains it! He must have been Captain of Westerdam in '05. I'm less than 50 years, so not being able to remember the details of cruise... makes no sense... unless I was simply following the lead of the Captain... On the other hand, maybe I too am challenged. :)

That explains it! He must have been Captain of Westerdam in '05. I'm less than 50 years, so not being able to remember the details of cruise... makes no sense... unless I was simply following the lead of the Captain... On the other hand, maybe I too am challenged. :)

Occaisionally the cruises all blend together to confuse you. I know that the first time I walked out onto the Promenade Deck of the Dawn Princess it looked exactly like the one on the Oosterdam (or the Infinity for that matter). It's easy to forget where you actually had a particular experience if the circumstances all appear the same!

I'm not sure I missed it...did you compare passenger ages on the two ships? I'd love to try HAL (Princess being my #1) but I'm worried the ship will be dead by 9 pm! Hubby and I our in our 30's...what's your opinion.

Wonderful review!

When we did our vow renewals with him, he mentioned he had just joined the ship. They had lost all of his luggage so he was wearing someone else's formalwear. :cool:

I have truly enjoyed both this thread and the original on HAL site.

We to have cruised on the three lines .. Oosterdam in the Baltic.. X's Millenium in the Med and Sapphire Princes in the Orient and on the Mexican Riviera.

I must say I agree with most of what you had to say and the points of disagreement can be written off to the Sapphire being a newer ship with some updates apparently.

It seems that Princess is addressing the food issue with their new enhanced cuisine .. for the Emerald but going Fleetwide within the year.

I would dearly love to be back on the Odam .. but somehow her itinerary and my timing have not coincided over the last few years.

Thanks for a really thoughtful comparison/review.

I'm not sure I missed it...did you compare passenger ages on the two ships? I'd love to try HAL (Princess being my #1) but I'm worried the ship will be dead by 9 pm! Hubby and I our in our 30's...what's your opinion.

This was interesting. I'd say that the age range was the same for the adults, but there were far more children (i.e., those under 21) on the Dawn Princess. In fact, the Infinity cruise seemed to skew older than either the Oosterdam or the Dawn Princess.

I felt one difference was that, on DP the 30-somethings and 40-somethings were cruising with their kids while on the Oosterdam they were either singles or without children.

When we did our vow renewals with him, he mentioned he had just joined the ship. They had lost all of his luggage so he was wearing someone else's formalwear. :cool:

And evidently his staff roster was in his "other suitcase"! :rolleyes:

I sailed on the Dawn Princess 2/16. Captain Tony Draper was starting a holiday after our cruise.

Our sailing was fabulous in every way.

Does anyone know how one finds our who captains the various ships and when. Sounds like there may be a few "odd" ones out there

Archived