December Transatlantic

Carolwesterly

We are booked on a 17-day Transatlantic next December 3rd on Celebrity's Century - Barcelona to Miami. We're wondering what the weather and sea conditions will be like during that time of year. I know Barcelona will probably be cool, but not sure about the other ports which go from Malaga, Spain to Morocco and then on to several of the Canary Islands before the 7-day transatlantic portion. Has anyone done this type of trip during the month of December and what was the weather and seas like, especially during the transatlantic portion. Since Century doesn't have an enclosed pool (like the Millenium class ships), we're wondering if the weather is warm enough to be outside for the crossing. Thanks for any feedback about transatlantic crossings during the month of December! Also, if there are any tips about things to see and do in Gibraltar, Morroco and the Canaries (we stop at 3 Canary islands) along the way:) .

We will be on the Century with you next December. Last year we did a Trans Atlantic on the Noordam. Rome to N.Y. in October The Cruise Director said it was the smoothest trip ever. I think probably we were very lucky. However the Century trip is 2 months later but takes a more Southerly crossing. I guess we'll just have hope for a smooth trip. Richard & Dolores Cross

Carolwesterly,

We are booked on a 17-day Transatlantic next December 3rd on Celebrity's Century - Barcelona to Miami. We're wondering what the weather and sea conditions will be like during that time of year. I know Barcelona will probably be cool, but not sure about the other ports which go from Malaga, Spain to Morocco and then on to several of the Canary Islands before the 7-day transatlantic portion. Has anyone done this type of trip during the month of December and what was the weather and seas like, especially during the transatlantic portion. Since Century doesn't have an enclosed pool (like the Millenium class ships), we're wondering if the weather is warm enough to be outside for the crossing. Thanks for any feedback about transatlantic crossings during the month of December! Also, if there are any tips about things to see and do in Gibraltar, Morroco and the Canaries (we stop at 3 Canary islands) along the way:) .

The route is close enough to the equator so it is not likely to encounter storms, rough seas, etc. There's never an absolute guarantee, of course, but your odds of a smooth trip are as good on this cruise as on any.

Norm.

Carol,

I was on the Millennium transatlantic last November. We left the Canary Islands on Dec. 2nd, arriving in Ft. Lauderdale on Dec 10th. With the exception of a couple of hours after leaving the Canary Islands and the morning of the last full day at sea, the seas were smooth and almost glassy. The daytime temperatures were in the mid to upper 70's under bright, blue skies.

We've also made this trip in November. It was low 70's starting out, and every day got warmer by a few degrees all the way to the Caribbean.

I understood what the early sailors mean by the term "doldrums", because the ocean all the way across was like a piece of glass. Not a wave.

December probably won't be much different, because in the southern climates it's the calmest time of year. "High season" in the Caribbean.

We loved our Transatlantic cruise: it was like a bunch of sea days, and THEN a Caribbean cruise!!

Archived