Western Caribbean Cruise tips

cruisers4866

We are cruising on Carnival 4/29. Never been to Western Caribbean. Ports of Call Grand Cayman, Montego Bay, Cozumel. Don't snorkel, swim or hike. Which port has the best Glass bottom boat tour? Would like advice from those who have been there. Best to do ship excursion or private? Can we attend Mexican Folkloric Festival in Cozumel without booking an excursion? How much? Also thinking about Grand Cayman island tour which includes Hell, Turtle Farm and shopping. Any advice appreciated on any of the above or anthing else related to our trip. Thanks!:confused:

How about cooking? I did a Mexican Cooking excursion at Cozumel. I was on Coral Princess but there were people from several lines there. It includes drinks, food and time at the beach- or limited shopping at the beach pavillion. Lots of fun!

We just went to the Turtle Farm...it has been redone and is much larger now (and very nice to walk around). Hell is just a tourist trap. You see some unusual limestone. Some people like to mail postcards from Hell for the postmark. However, if you take a tour that goes to Hell, you won't be there very long so it doesn't matter too much. If you don't swim or snorkel, you might like to combine the Turtle Farm with a trip to Stingray City Sandbar. The water is clear, the bottom is sandy and the times I have been there, the water has been about waist deep. Everyone I have been there with have really had fun interacting with the rays.

Hope you have a lovely trip!

We did these ports last year. We did take the bus to Ocho Rios to hike up the falls at Dunn River. On Grand Cayman we did the turtle farm, hell and stingray city. It is neat to see and hold a sea turtle. Hell was about a 15 minute stop so if you are mailing postcards have labels ready to go. The boat ride out to stingray city was fun and so was having picture taken with the rays. The water is only waist deep when we were there. You aren't required to get in the water if you don't want to but it is neat to see the rays.

In Cozumel we took a 45 minute boat ride to Playa Del Carmen to visit the Mayan ruins of Tulum. There was a quick stop at a place to taste tequila and see how they made carved items and a souvenir shop then onto the ruins.

There is a tram from the parking lot to the ruins and then you walk around the ruins with your guide.

Good luck on your decisions.

Lynn

Checking roll call is the answer, also check porta a call. I agree, do a tour in Grand Cayman that combines the Turtle farm and a stingray experience. You do not have to swim or snorkel to enjoy these wanderful animals. You will be in water about waste deep or maybe a little deeper. As for Cozumel, any tour or just walk around is fun. I can't advise you on Montago Bay, we have been there only once, did do a little shopping and would never go into the town again. BTW, when in Cozumel try to eat at Ponchos. It is really a cool place, some fair shopping and the food is the best. We have been to Cozumel 5 or 6 times and the stops are not complete without a visit. NMnita

Archived