ROME IN LIMO - Private Tour - anyone use?

My AAA travel agent told me that the travelers' checks in Euros may not be your best bet because you may pay two conversion fees, one when you get the checks and one when you go to redeem them. Instead she suggested a VISA card that you load up with as many dollars as you like in advance. You can "buy" the card at AAA, and I think there is a one time fee of $4.95 to load the card. You use them in ATM's when you are traveling and will probably just be charged with whatever is the fee for an ATM withdrawal (a dollar or so). Of course, it will also function as a regular VISA debit card for store purchases, etc. and any remaining amount can be used in the states when you return. Of course, who comes back from Europe with any extra money??!! :rolleyes:

I won't be redeeming them, they will be used to pay the tour guide who will not accept a VISA card, or any other card. Cash or T/C are the options.

Dave

Us also. Not going to redeem them or use them for anything else except tour guides. We already have a VISA ATM card which we use if needed for other things.

I won't be redeeming them, they will be used to pay the tour guide who will not accept a VISA card, or any other card. Cash or T/C are the options.

Dave

Yes, I understand. My note was for those who might be considering getting extra currency over and above the tour guide payments.

Donna

My biggest concern is - why do all these companies take your credit card to secure the reservatyion, but then require cash payment? I am leaning otwards doing mostly Carnival tous, as I don't want to carry that much cash - especially in euros...

We are using a company called Italy Limo (www.italylimo.com) and they secured our tours with our credit card and will be charging our card for the tours. They converted the price from euros to US$ so we wouldn't be charged a conversion fee.

I found this thread to be very intresting:

http://www.frommers.com/cgi-bin/WebX?13@58.r1DsaITXVrg^0@.ef337a0

Especially the comment from Frommers editors:

[i]08:04pm Mar 13, 2007 EST

Unfortunately, the majority of messages on this site recommending the company are, in fact, not legit.

Following deeper research, I discovered that entire threads and unattributed articles from Boston.com, Fodors.com, Cruisecritic.com and other travel sites were being reposted here by "ekscrunchy" (aka, Carlo, one of the drivers for Romeinlimo) and multiple other usernames. In the copied posts, where competitors' tours or drivers were named in the original post, he replaced that with his own company name and contact information. I just deleted well over 100 posts that I could verify were copied in whole from other publications. It's truly a deceptive practice pretending to be someone you're not to advertise your company or views. (In message board parlance, it's called "sockpuppetry.")

They might be good drivers -- who knows? -- but based on their practices here we unequivocally cannot recommend their business. [/i]

That is a very interesting link.

OK everyone, let's here about those other private tour companies you've used and what you thought of them. I only have a year to plan before I sail the MED.

I found Rome In Limo thru other posters here on CC who have been members of CC for a very long time. I found Rome In Limo to be wonderful and helpful and made Rome one of the highlights of our cruise.

I am on the June 30th Freedom Cruise and I have booked Romeinlimo for our tours of the Amalfi Coast and Florence. Like all of you, I read the boards and did as much research as I could. Our family doesn't like to do the cruiseship tours and prefer to book our own. To be honest, I originally emailed Stefano Costantini from Romecabs because I had read so many glowing reviews about him. He is actually going to assist us with all our transfers as well as a full day of touring in Rome. But when it came to Naples and Florence, he was not available and it was actually Stefano who recommended Duman from Romeinlimo. I get the feeling that they all know each other anyway and probably read these boards themselves to see what our opinions are. Same thing with Cannes. I read a lot of reveiws of Relevation Tours but when I tried to book with them, they were unavailable and recommended Dream Tours which I ended up booking with. After reading these boards and the feedback from all of you who have already "been there, done that" I feel a lot better and I am sure that our tours are going to great. It was a relief just to know that the detail of planning and booking the shore excursions was taken care of. Now that I don't have the tours to obsess over, I am trying to figure out when to buy Euro's, how much to buy, etc. etc. Last time I checked, the dollar was weaker then it was a month ago, so I don't know whether I should stock up on Euro's now or wait to see if I can get a better exchange rate.

It seems it would be better to have travelers checks in dollars and cash them for Euros on the ship each day as needed..........:cool: :cool:

you could do that. but the ship will probably charge alot to go from Dollars to Euro's. you are better off getting your Euro's via ATM machines in Europe.

Larry

I know that this thread has gotten off track onto the subject of money, but did anyone see the post from I think it was the Frommers article regarding deceptive advertising. I was considering using Rome in Limo for my tours, but now I feel like the credibility of the travel boards and some of these tour companies are under question.:confused:

We are scheduled for a private tour with Rome in Limo and plan to continue using them as they have been very responsive up until now. The way I look at things is that if there had been any problems you would have seen negative posts which I haven't. There are plenty of "false" posts throughout these boards in more ways than one. You just have to read as many threads as you find and then use your own judgment. I've been on many cruises that we've enjoyed thoroughly but came home to see negative reviews and then wondered which ship these people were on as I never saw any of the things they mentioned.

top tours in italy is miles better than romeinlimo

Nick Solpaca knows every brick in italy. what a driver/Guide this guy is

and yes I have used romeinlimo

Can you give us more details of your experience with Rome in Limo? Who was your driver? what port?

thanks,

Larry

• 4 weeks later...
I am thinking about using Rome in Limo for Naples, Rome and Florence. I havent read too many comments about them on the boards. Has anyone used them before? What was your experience? thanks!

See some of my messages. We just got back from an NCL Jewel transatlantic cruise that included Rome and Naples. We used a great limo service......6 to 8 passenger minivans with excellent drivers. Write to Josephine at info@italylimousine.it You can coordinate on board and then e-mail her to reserve a van. In Naples we went to Sorrento, Positano and the Amalfi Coast. We all had a great day at a nominal price!

I am thinking about using Rome in Limo for Naples, Rome and Florence. I havent read too many comments about them on the boards. Has anyone used them before? What was your experience? thanks!

Just noticed that my previous messages specified a WEB site....but actually it was the e-mail address for this contact. The web site address is http://www.italylimousine.com

Sorry for the mistake!

• 3 weeks later...

I was fortunate enough to read a review on Rome in Limo prior to my recent trip to Europe and used them for transportation to and from the port. They were excellent, right on time and very professional. In fact when Duman picked us up from our cruise and learned that our luggage was lost, he took us to the airport and tried to help locate it and acted as our interpeter. He really went out of his way to help, and I would highly recommend them to others....and keep in mind, if you have been in a taxi in Rome lately, you will really appreciate a driver who drives responsibly!

Archived