More about Carnival's New Family-Unfriendly Policy Concerning Beverages

dande11

Like many of you who posted in an earlier thread, I, too, am unhappy about Carnivals's new no-water, no-soda beverage policy. My wife and I have taken 6 Carnival cruises in the last 18 months and have been satisfied with them until this latest money-grabbing stunt. My wife and I each bring a bottle of caffeine-free diet soda per day to take our early morning and late night medications, and a bottle of our favorite water to take with us on our shore excursions when we're in port. I called Carnival's Guest Relations today to confirm their new policy. What I found most interesting is that they said they'll confiscate your water or soft drinks without compensation, BUT EACH PASSENGER OVER THE AGE OF 21 IS STILL ALLOWED TO BRING A BOTTLE OF BOOZE ONBOARD! So how much sense does that make? Talk about inconsistency and hypocrisy! Here's to Carnival's corporate gurus!! Time to start looking for another cruise line if Carnival is going start all this nonsense. I guess they feel they haven't been squeezing a sufficient amount of money out of passengers.:mad:

Like many of you who posted in an earlier thread, I, too, am unhappy about Carnivals's new no-water, no-soda beverage policy. My wife and I have taken 6 Carnival cruises in the last 18 months and have been satisfied with them until this latest money-grabbing stunt. My wife and I each bring a bottle of caffeine-free diet soda per day to take our early morning and late night medications, and a bottle of our favorite water to take with us on our shore excursions when we're in port. I called Carnival's Guest Relations today to confirm their new policy. What I found most interesting is that they said they'll confiscate your water or soft drinks without compensation, BUT EACH PASSENGER OVER THE AGE OF 21 IS STILL ALLOWED TO BRING A BOTTLE OF BOOZE ONBOARD! So how much sense does that make? Talk about inconsistency and hypocrisy! Here's to Carnival's corporate gurus!! Time to start looking for another cruise line if Carnival is going start all this nonsense. I guess they feel they haven't been squeezing a sufficient amount of money out of passengers.:mad:

There is a thread for this... a very long one.

But you are mistaken... you cannot take booze. You can take a SINGLE bottle of wine for a special occasion (or champagne), someone gave you incorrect info.

Don't go to RCL, they have the same policy.

Family unfriendly?? I don't think not allowing you to bring on SODA is family unfriendly :p LOL They have perfectly good water on the ship for free, they also sell it... how is that unfriendly??? :confused:

Good luck finding that perfect cruise line... hope you don't end up spending more on your new cruise than you would have spent on a soda card (what, $40??) or a few bottles of water on the ship ($5??)

Sorry to hear that, but, it was the folks who took extreme advantage of this policy that caused the crackdown. People wheeling coolers of beverages to the ship, cases of beer etc. It's their venue and they have the right to limit their losses. You are not allowed to do these kind of things at most venues (e.g. ballparks, movie theaters etc), but people will take excess advantage and ruin it for others. And by the way, the "booze" you refer to is one bottle of wine, not liquor which is commonly called "booze".

I may be a little tired today, but I take total offense to you post.

Have you ever tried to bring a Pizza Hut pizza into Chucky Cheese?

And then the overdramatizing of the "soda" and "bottled water" equals family. Since when don't people drink water from the tap anyway. . . .especially kids.

Agree or disagree with the policy is one thing. . . but making this an "anti-family" campaign is another.

Would you be offended if I called SRS and complained about your parenting. . . after all you are using your children (family) as a tool to try to get what YOU want. . . seems to me you are using them.

Sorry to hear that, but, it was the folks who took extreme advantage of this policy that caused the crackdown. People wheeling coolers of beverages to the ship, cases of beer etc. It's their venue and they have the right to limit their losses. You are not allowed to do these kind of things at most venues (e.g. ballparks, movie theaters etc), but people will take excess advantage and ruin it for others. And by the way, the "booze" you refer to is one bottle of wine, not liquor which is commonly called "booze".

But you also don't spend a week or longer living in a ballpark or movie theater. A better analogy is a hotel not allowing you to bring outside beverages in.

You know they're paying their porters peanuts when it's less expensive for them to take each bottle of water out of checked luggage than to allow a couple of bottles per person.

Actually I think the policy is very family friendly. Less to pack and carry for dear old dad! There is water and soda available on the ship....it might not be the brand you prefer but it is there. Also, soda is bad for kids, might not be a bad idea for them to not have any for a week.

This all boils down to people are mad they can't have their specific brand of what ever. Myself, I don't cruise to drink a certain brand...I cruise to see cool places, enjoy my friends company and relax a bit. I prefer pepsi but could really care less if I get Coke, or RC Cola, or Pepsi. It would not make me cancel, or change lines, or act like a spoiled brat because I can't get exactly what I want. I would rather pay $40 for a soda card than have to pay alot more for my cruise because I have to make up for lost revenues from the 200 coolers being lugged onboard because certain people just can not, no way, under no circumstance drink the brand Carnival has.

But you also don't spend a week or longer living in a ballpark or movie theater. A better analogy is a hotel not allowing you to bring outside beverages in.

You know they're paying their porters peanuts when it's less expensive for them to take each bottle of water out of checked luggage than to allow a couple of bottles per person.

They don't pay the porters :confused: The porters are port employees...

It is too much trouble for me to bring on my own beverages, but I do wish their were more choices. The tea is not so great and while I bought a soda card for my children, I would have preferred other drink options for them.

Their cruise line though and I certainly don't see it as unfair. As one of the most reasonably priced vacation, I don't classify it as sqeezing every last dollar either.

Oh...and drinking from a tap....I didn't know anyone did that anymore. Maybe it is because I'm from Florida but even the cat gets bottled water! :D

/quote]

I absolutely agree. That analogy of bringing stuff in to ballparks, restaurants etc. make no sense whatsoever. Like you said it would be more comparable to a hotel. And I have never had a problem with bringing my own drinks to a hotel............

Posted by Improvman:

The problem is.....we're not talking about a couple of bottles per person....that's not what caused the crackdown...it was the EXCESSIVE abusers.

And for the OP....this is a cruise on a luxury ship, not a camping trip!

Here's to Carnival's corporate gurus!! Time to start looking for another cruise line if Carnival is going start all this nonsense. I guess they feel they haven't been squeezing a sufficient amount of money out of passengers.:mad:

Buy 2 soda cards - drink all the soda ya want. Buy a bottle of water at the port when you get off.

If it is all too much for you, by all means, find another cruise line that will charge you 300 - 400 more pp to save you that inconvenience of the 80 dollars worht of soda cards. Seems to me that you will be worse off 520 dollars minimum but at least you have the joy of bringing your own soda :rolleyes:

Happy seas

On our cruise 1 week ago, because of the new policy, we brought on board 2 empty water bottles per person. When we got on the ship, we filled up the bottles with water from the lido deck and refrigerated them. When we wanted a drink, we would either drink the cold bottled water or we would add a little tube of Crystal Light and made lemon aid or rasberry tea. It was very good. :o

dandee11

Let me apologize for the SRS comment--that was over the top. Let me also welcome you!

I don't think it is the same as a hotel from many different standpoints. The most important is that you did it (brought drinks into a hotel) and the hotel didn't mind. What if the hotel minded?

Carnival is upfront about buying soda drink cards. They do not say that soda or bottled water is part of the price. In my opinion, they aren't misrepresenting the situation. They are offering something and you can choose to accept it and buy it or not. You have every right to not buy the cruise, but I don't think it is fair to try and make them look bad because they don't meet your wants even though you knew the score.

Also with choice, same thing goes with beer. They don't carry all beers onboard. If you want a beer, you have to choose one they carry and then pay for it.

Again, I am sorry dandee11, I disagree with your claim but I think I took some frustration out on you that I shouldn't have.

Posted by Improvman:

The problem is.....we're not talking about a couple of bottles per person....that's not what caused the crackdown...it was the EXCESSIVE abusers.

And for the OP....this is a cruise on a luxury ship, not a camping trip!

Yeah we all have our theories......Also heard it was because of booze control.......people using water bottles/coke cartons to put their booze in.

I believe it won't last long.......hell... according to the latest cruisers it has not even happened yet.....who knows it might not happen.

How coincidental it happened right after the man overboard...

If it was their bottom line all the other cruiselines would be hurting too....

I've got it I've got it!! Empty your bottles of booze and fill them with the beverages you can no longer take:p it's like opposite of what everyone used to do

Yeah we all have our theories......Also heard it was because of booze control.......people using water bottles/coke cartons to put their booze in.

I believe it won't last long.......hell... according to the latest cruisers it has not even happened yet.....who knows it might not happen.

How coincidental it happened right after the man overboard...

If it was their bottom line all the other cruiselines would be hurting too....

It's also coincidental that they implemented right after RCCL did... and RCCL didn't have a recent person overboard when they did... sounds to me like they were just keeping up with their number one competitor :D

It's also coincidental that they implemented right after RCCL did... and RCCL didn't have a recent person overboard when they did... sounds to me like they were just keeping up with their number one competitor :D

I heard that RCCL implemented it after that kid that was hammered and went overboard....

Once again conflicting stories LOL!

RCI does not allow wine or any other alcohol to be brought on board but they do allow you to bring on board a reasonable amount of water and soft drinks. Of course this could also change since Carnival has now changed their policy. Time will tell. If folks want to be mad at anyone then blame the folks that brought the rolling coolers and suitcases full of beverages on board. Like someone stated earlier, you are going on a cruise and not a camping trip.

while I bought a soda card for my children, I would have preferred other drink options for them.

There are the "free" (included) beverages on the Lido deck and in the dining rooms (milk, punch, lemonade, juices), and, I think, juices can also be purchased from any of the bars.

So, I can live with my crystal lite packages and a soda card. What I am wondering is can you buy bottled water if you are in a port (say 1 or 2 ) and then return to the ship with them w/o them getting taken away? Just wondering.

So, I can live with my crystal lite packages and a soda card. What I am wondering is can you buy bottled water if you are in a port (say 1 or 2 ) and then return to the ship with them w/o them getting taken away? Just wondering.

I doubt there would be any issue with "in hand" water when re-boarding.

I don't understand what the big deal is. You could never bring alcholic beverages onboard, but people found a way. Now those methods will need to be appliend with non-alcholic stuff.

/quote]

I absolutely agree. That analogy of bringing stuff in to ballparks, restaurants etc. make no sense whatsoever. Like you said it would be more comparable to a hotel. And I have never had a problem with bringing my own drinks to a hotel............

To further this analogy, I don't have a problem bringing bottled water or softdrinks into a resort hotel for consumption in the room. However, I would feel it wrong to take the bottled water or softdrinks to the hotel's restaurant or lounge.

Archived