Cabin Steward

While I think the action of the stewardis absolutely unacceptable I have to say the mess in the cabin is as well. Clothes shouldn´t be all over the cabin (couch, bed & floor:eek: ). Usually I put away every single peace before leaving the cabin, however I´ve had something on the couch or over a chair, but if something was out then it was folded up and plced there.

If there´s something on the bed or couch I would´nt expect the steward to fold it up, just to move it aside to do his job.

But again stuff all over including the floor is unaccaptable from the guest too.

Maybe the OP should have used the past curfew time to tidy up the room:rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly. Why would you leave clothes all over the room, and then just expect your steward to work around them. If you choose to live ....hummmm lets just say a little messy, on your cruise why not hang the do not disturb sign on the door and tidy up at your leisure?

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread......

I have seen in passing, the condition that some people leave their staterooms in and am amazed at the mess the room stewards sometimes have to contend with. I would hate to see how these people maintain their own homes. It certainly doesn't justify actions such as those described, but in all of our cruises I have never heard a similar complaint and it is the first time that I have read such an account on these boards. The room stewards are supposed to clean your room, make the beds and straighten or tidy up things in the stateroom. It ought not to be their task to pick up discarded clothes off the floor or move them off the bed so that they can perform their duties.

It might sound funny but we always straighten our room before the steward arrives. On one occasion, it was just before dinner, we were running a little late and the room looked like a jumble sale! I picked up a load of our clothes and shoved them in the wardrobe as I didnt have time to hang them but couldnt bare for the steward to come in and find everything strewn about as a result of our getting ready.:o

It is amazing that some people use the excuse of "being on vacation" as an excuse for being a slob. The cabin steward's job is to clean the cabin, make the beds, change the towels, etc; it is certainly not his/her job to pick up clothes strewn around the cabin. But I assume that is the way the same people leave their house when they go out to work ugh! and the same mentality applies to those parents who excuse their childrens' behavior the same way - "they are on vacation":o

We always pick up our clothes and put them in the closet before leaving the cabin. I also make sure other things are put away as I do not live with things all over the place at home. I would never expect the cabin steward to fold or pick up our clothes. It's nice if they do it I guess but I thought their job was to clean the room not be someone's personal maid. Sorry just my opinion:o

This had NEVER happened to me in 13 cruises and won't happen in the next 13 cruises.........personally........I don't think it happened folks.......;)

This should be another interesting thread. The cabin steward in one of our rooms took all the clothes that were not put away that was either on the bed, couch or floor and shoved them in a big ball underneath the chair in the room.

On our second cruise I left my dirty underwear laying out. When we returned from breakfast it was folded and placed on the back of the sofa. After some light embarrassment over the matter, and ever since then, any clothes that I don’t put away properly I promptly shove them in a big ball underneath the chair in the room so as to not inconvenience the steward.

Sorry if I may have entered your room by mistake…

On our second cruise I left my dirty underwear laying out. When we returned from breakfast it was folded and placed on the back of the sofa. After some light embarrassment over the matter, and ever since then, any clothes that I don’t put away properly I promptly shove them in a big ball underneath the chair in the room so as to not inconvenience the steward.

Sorry if I may have entered your room by mistake…

LOL!:D :)

If you choose to leave your cabin a mess that is up to you. However, be aware that someone will be coming to make your bed and tidy up a bit. So it would be tactful if you refrain from leaving items on your unmaid bed or in the middle of the floor because those are the areas they will need to access. It is just common courtesy. Personally, I try to put all my items away because I don't want them to be touched. One steward used my sunglasses on a towel animal and I was pissed off. They were in the case on the desk so that means he opened the case!!!!

I would imagine it was on the JOS a week ago, this is the second thread started by this OP, seems like he didn't enjoy his holiday onboard:mad:

See his/her other post http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=531225

After reading the other post, this makes more sense. If the OP is like my teen, then they left the room a HUGE mess. :eek:

Yes, the steward should not have shoved the stuff under a chair but I also know the feeling of walking into a teen's room at the end of my patience! I guess now, I am curious, did this happen at the beginning, or end of the cruise?

Holy macaroni.........I wonder if the OP leaves clothes all over the house when he/she is at home. Maybe they are just continuing to live the life style that they are accustomed to.:(

Your so cute !!! I like that word Holy Macaroni. May I borrow it? :)

I would have been angry. I figure it's our vacation, if I want to live like a teenager and leave my jeans on the floor I should be able to do that without them being wadded up and shoved under a chair. However, if I was really worried about wrinkles, etc I would have thrown them on the floor. I can see them placing them in a bag thinking they were dirty.

I agree 100%. Everyone enjoys vacation differently. Some like to live like a teenager and some like to be neat.

Huh. That would burn my butter! I left some clothes out once, and our room steward folded them nicely on the bed.

My nieces were in a hurry getting dressed for formal night and they ALL left their bathing suits, undies, etc. on the bathroom floor. When they returned, the steward (an older man) had neatly folded it all on the bed. They were SO embarrassed. That cured them of leaving their stuff out.

Viv

Wow, seems a lot of judgements being made in this thread. Now I'd never try to excuse leaving my undies or other personal garments on the floor...but I should feel guilty if I left a stray t-shirt of pair of jeans not hung up? Knowing my usual vacation mode, I'm in such a mad rush to get some place, doing a full scale clean of my accomodations is never a priority. I'd hope I'd be using that time to enjoy the lovely cruise I've paid for. But maybe I'm the weird one...or so says my mom who's the type to make the hotel bed before leaving the room...

Oh well....I'm happily weird!

lol! On splendour last month i was walking down the hall and 2 teen boys came out of an inside cabin and i glanced towards their room and OMG!! My first thought was for the poor cabin steward who probably had trouble even GETTING into the room! It was an explosion of clothes everywhere! I hope their parents tipped extra for that poor steward, lol!:eek:

When we cruise our THREE teenage boys are in an interior cabin. We apologize to the steward, and tip HUGE. We also keep our cabin extra neat, to offset the boys' mess.

Wow, seems a lot of judgements being made in this thread. Now I'd never try to excuse leaving my undies or other personal garments on the floor...but I should feel guilty if I left a stray t-shirt of pair of jeans not hung up? Knowing my usual vacation mode, I'm in such a mad rush to get some place, doing a full scale clean of my accomodations is never a priority. I'd hope I'd be using that time to enjoy the lovely cruise I've paid for. But maybe I'm the weird one...or so says my mom who's the type to make the hotel bed before leaving the room...

Oh well....I'm happily weird!

Well, if you're weird, you aren't the only one! I like to keep the cabin fairly straight, because it's such a small space and it can get out of hand so quickly. But on the other hand, if I wake up from a nap to find that I'm running late for my beloved trivia, I'm not even going to be aware how the cabin looks before I leave! Water wallets and key chains don't wait!!

:-)

If you choose to leave your cabin a mess that is up to you. However, be aware that someone will be coming to make your bed and tidy up a bit. So it would be tactful if you refrain from leaving items on your unmaid bed or in the middle of the floor because those are the areas they will need to access. It is just common courtesy. Personally, I try to put all my items away because I don't want them to be touched. One steward used my sunglasses on a towel animal and I was pissed off. They were in the case on the desk so that means he opened the case!!!!

So what? As long as he didn't damage them, you shouldn't get peeved: he was doing it for your enjoyment.

Well, if you're weird, you aren't the only one! I like to keep the cabin fairly straight, because it's such a small space and it can get out of hand so quickly. But on the other hand, if I wake up from a nap to find that I'm running late for my beloved trivia, I'm not even going to be aware how the cabin looks before I leave! Water wallets and key chains don't wait!!

:-)

Yeah, I'm pro-trivia all the way! :) IMHO I think there's a balance between consideration for the cabin steward as a fellow human being, and just relaxing, being laid back and enjoying your vacation. Of course, a lot of people can't relax if there's any mess about which is perfectly understandable...but geez, some of you gentle folk seem to equate leaving an item of clothing on the floor to smacking the steward in the face with an item of dirty laundry!

Archived