info need about VHS-C tape and camera

Hi there,

My wife and I will be sailing on the Glory in 4 weeks and I was planning on taking a VHS-C movie camera that I got for Christmas with us. I'm wondering if there are any problems going through X-Ray machines.

Is there any problem with the tape being in the camera or unopened cassettes?:confused:

Any help or answer will be appreciated!:)

Thanks!

I'm in the TV business and I fly with videotape all the time. XRay won't hurt, although I try to ask for hand inspection. Usually they will do it.

Metal detectors can damage the recording (the signal on the tape - not the tapes physically), so don't have them in your pockets when you pass through.

Anything with strong magnets can damage a video or audio tape, so you shouldn't put them on top of television sets, speakers, etc.

Also, record in SP mode instead of EP mode. Three times the tape speed, which means three times the signal. It will help your irreplaceable tapes last longer.

Make sure you bring lots of blank tape with you - VHS-C may not be readily available whereever you're going.

And don't forget to keep the recorded tapes away from all magnets. My wife thought she's put our mini-dv tapes in with the magnets we bought for people in port. We came back with blank honeymoon videos. :)

Archived