China Eastern Airlines

MikieF

We are wondering if anyone out there has flown on China Eastern Airlines. We are planning a trip next Oct. between Beijing and Shanghai on them. We can't find info anywhere about their checked baggage limits, or their carry on restrictions either. If you can help, we sure appreciate it!!! Thanks!

We are wondering if anyone out there has flown on China Eastern Airlines. We are planning a trip next Oct. between Beijing and Shanghai on them. We can't find info anywhere about their checked baggage limits, or their carry on restrictions either. If you can help, we sure appreciate it!!! Thanks!

I have flown several China Eastern flights intra China. They are an AA codeshare partner from the USA (LAX) to Shanghai. Reliable, clean planes and you get food even on the short flights.

The luggage allowance is 20 kgs. (44 pounds) intra China.

Here is the China Eastern website link with baggage info. http://www.flychinaeastern.com/site_map.htm

Greatam...thank you so much for the info....With a long cruise, and clothing that entails, it will be interesting to 'make it' with only 1-44 lb. suitcase! YIKES! But, thanks for the info, and the website. I see you are from Arizona/Missouri. Where in Missouri? We live at the Lake of the Ozarks. Cheers...

I do agree with the previous cruisers and can only confirm that I had the best experience with them.

Normally I choose them for my flights from Shanghai to Hong Kong.

From my experience: as Chinese are taking their complete "household" when they are travelling... I do not think that you get larger problems when you have more than 44 lbs.

Here you have detailed information:

http://www.flychinaeastern.com/trip_preparation.htm?3#3

You can carry more than 1 bag!

If you have it as connecting flight from/to overseas the larger weight restrictions counts.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Greatam...thank you so much for the info....With a long cruise, and clothing that entails, it will be interesting to 'make it' with only 1-44 lb. suitcase! YIKES! But, thanks for the info, and the website. I see you are from Arizona/Missouri. Where in Missouri? We live at the Lake of the Ozarks. Cheers...

Our main company office (global logistics) is in Princeton, about 250 miles north from you. I spend about half the year in Missouri.

Are you cruising before or after your Shanghai experience? If I can make some suggestions: Let's say you are going to Shanghai AFTER the cruise. Either book a RT Beijing/Shanghai/Beijing intra China ticket OR book your return as Beijing/Shanghai (stopover)/USA.

Either way should take care of your luggage requirements. First option-leave the luggage at your hotel in Beijing, pick up on return (44 pounds only in China). You would need a RT Beijing/Shanghai/Beijing ticket. RT ticket about $160.00 total

Second option-if you are cannot go back to Beijing, look into buying a FC ticket for the Beijing/Shanghai trip. Baggags allowance is 88 pounds pp, does not matter how many bags. Nonstop FC is about $240.00 one way. MUCH cheaper than excess baggage fees.

Third-MAKE SURE you book the flight as an INTERNATIONAL flight, with the Beijing/Shanghai flight as a portion of the international ticket (50 pounds per bag in coach, 70 pounds in fc, 2 bags in either class). Then you will be subject to the international weight limits. The last will probably cost more than the first class option due the stopover in Shanghai. China Eastern flies to LAX, as well as intra China. China Eastern is a new AA partner, so you can get AA miles. China Eastern has been flying RT LAX/Shanghai via Beijing for about $800 RT.

As a last resort, if you are doing the Shanghai portion post cruise, you can always send luggage home from China via the post office. Takes about 4 weeks to get to the USA via post office. Not a bad rate. About $65.00 for 50#, insured. The Chinese post office is pretty darn good. The hardest part is finding the box to send stuff home in. Enjoy!!!

Hi Greatam....Thanks again! Since we last 'spoke", we have booked a F/C flight from Beijing to Shanghai...whih, as you stated, will alleviate the baggage concerns. Not too much more $$...and we are both tall, so will appreciate the leg room anyway! We will be doing Beijing at the end of our cruise, and just going to Singapore as a transit to get home. We have booked AA through ORD to STL. Do you happen to know if there is a FedEx office in Beijing? If so, where? Thanks much for your help. Any other tidbits you might want to pass along are always appreciated! I hope the 6 mos. you are in Mo. haven't been these last few! This winter has been wierd! :)

Archived