Civitavecchia to Naples then to Rome best way?

Need some help! This will be my first med. cruise and I've got no idea as far as distances & locations. I would like to plan a post cruise stay in Ischia for a few days. Our ship is doing r/t from Civitavecchia, near Rome. I'm thinking about spending the first day & night in Rome then heading off to Ischia. The ferries to Ischia are in Naples. What would some options be to get from Rome to Naples? How far, time wise, are they from each other? After our stay in Ischia, we are flying home from Rome (booking air through cruise line). How would we get from Naples back to Rome? I have read there is a train system, but, I'm worried about lugging the suitcases around. I'm also thinking it might be a better idea to pay the deviation fee and fly home from Naples.

Hello,

how you get from Civitavecchia to Rome you can read in many other threads.

There are many trains betweend Roma and Naples. The fastest connection is the Eurostar (high-speed-train) which needs less than 2 hours while conventional trains need round about 3 hours.

You can check them at Italian Railways' website. Even as non-Italian speaker you can easily book the tickets and collect the tickets at the yellow distribution machines. But do not forget to cancel them.

CURRENTLY they restructure their website. So there is none in English at the moment. But inform yourself about the connections you can also visit the website of the German Railways. Please be informed that due to big schedule change all over Europe at June 10, 2007 - most final schedules will be published after mid of may 2007.

One option would be that you start from ROMA TERMINI and that you store your baggage there and only travel to Naples/Ischia with those baggage you need there (I could imagine that there is no formal night on board of the ferry... and you might do not need your cocktail dresses/tuxedos/shoes anymore there).

So when you travel back to Rome you just need to have some extra time to collect your baggage and you continue from there to the trains going to Rome FCO-airport.

The other option would be to buy a single air ticket from Naples via Milan to Rome (due to the close distance - there are no more direct flights between Naples and Rome - too short!). This would allow you to check through your baggage to your final destination but maybe having some extra time Milan to see this city as well.

Check with Alitalia and One. (N.B. you might need to visit websites like Expedia or Opodo to get cheap one way-connecting-fares from Naples to Rome).

Of course another option could be to pay the changing fees.

Have a nice voyage!

Regards,

HeinBloed

I would hire a car at Civitavecchia and then drive to Naples - it is about a 2 1/2 hr drive - see if you could do a one-way hire, then catch the ferry over to Ischia, and then on your return do a one--way hire back to Rome airport. Gives you flexibility.

I agree with Albert Ross, but this assumes you are OK with driving in Italy (Italian drivers are all crazy, but darn good). The signs to Naples are very good once you get South of Rome (we were just on that road last May), but you need to be prepared to get lost in the cities (its part of the fun). If you do drive I will give you a very important WARNING), The main highway (its like an interstate) between Rome an Naples is infamous for problems with gypsies. This is particularly true at the main highway reststops where there is often an older Italian persioner who will try to get you to pay a "tip" for him to watch your car. But, here is what you do. Never, ever leave your car alone at highway reststops. Always have one person stay with the car while the other goes to the restrooms, etc. This is always a good idea when you have luggage in the car. Italy is a very safe place, but gypsies will happily reliever you of your luggage if you give them an "invitiation." and this is particuarly true on that road (its called the A1). There was some major construction on that road last year, and knowing the Italians I would suspect its still not finished (smile).

Hank

Thanks for the info....

Sounds like taking the train & leaving the luggage at the station may be a good idea.

One last question....

We do have a free shuttle from the ship to the airport in Rome. Comes with the airline booking with Carnival.

What about going with the shuttle to the airport and leaving the luggage there? Do they have storage? From there, could we catch the train to Naples?

Archived