Wow! Decided on HAL to Alaska for 2008, now which ship with an 8 and 10 year old?

Scarlette

Waiting for July 2008 bookings to open up for Alaska. I just started my research and want to sail with HAL, but don't know much else??:rolleyes:

These questions have probably been asked a million times before but here it goes:

1. We want to spend about 3 days in Vancouver. I am thinking at the beginning of our vacation. Is there any benefit to South-North or is North-South better?

2. Kids are 8 and 10. Is there a ship they would enjoy more? I don't like the mega-liners, but like a newer ship.

3. When will the dates open up?

I assume by Q #1 that you are talking about a one-way to or from Seward. If that is the case, southbound from Seward would be much better because you will traverse the best part of the Inside Passage, east of Vancouver Island, in the afternoon of the day before disembarkation, rather than in the dark on your first night out of Vancouver.

However, that would conflict with your wish to spend time in Vancouver pre-cruise. :confused: I haven't been there yet, but I hear Seward is a very nice town to visit! :)

The Westerdam is HAL's newest ship that will be doing AK in 2008. Not a "mega" ship, but a "midi" of 1900 pax. It will not be doing one-ways, however.

Depends upon what you want to do, for more activity Vancouver is it for the kids, but you have to balance it with when are you going to experience Alaska again, might be rustic but it's some place your family may not see again for a long time.

As for the ship, I saw the Maasdam there before on my first cruise on NCL but a Statendam class may not be the best fit for your kids ages. I know you said you didn't want a mega liner but the Vista class has alot more built in kiddo perks. Cathy and I went on the Oosterdam with our two sons to do the Mexican Riv cruise and I never felt crowded. Your call but I'd recommend the vista class any day of the week :)

The dates open up when they open up, I myself am chomping at the bit to book my Zaandam shore x's LOL

Have a wonderful Alaskan adventure!

Pete

Scarlette

R/T from Vancouver or one way?

We sailed Seward to Vancouver last year with our 11 and 9 yr old and did Seattle R/T the year prior. Definately more kids on a R/T sailing - the trip to Seward was long and somewhat expensive so that directly impacts the number of families sailing on those sailings vs a R/T out of say Vancouver or Seattle. All the HAL ships have Club Hal's for you kids age group - so big ship vs smaller R or S class will really be just the difference in size of the physical ship. We have sailed Vista's and R class ships and love both - and so do our kids. Don't expect rock climbing, ice skating, flow riders, etc... for the kids. But if they enjoy smaller groups and more one on one with each other and their counselers (my kids remember all their counselers yr to yr and I have to say the HAL counselers are terrific). We were so busy all day on excursions that my two would go for a few hrs after dinner till 10 when it closed and on sea days for a few hrs depending on what the activities were.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions - as a parent I know I have relied on these boards for yrs - HAL fits us perfectly -

Scarlette

R/T from Vancouver or one way?

the trip to Seward was long and somewhat expensive

Please don't hesitate to ask questions - as a parent I know I have relied on these boards for yrs - HAL fits us perfectly -

Thank you! It looks like Vancouver round-trip would best suit my family (price-wise).

I also read there will be no V class ships out of Vancouver in 2008, is that true?

So are my options round-trip out of Vancouver the following?

Roundtrip Vancouver:

Ryndam, Statendam, Zaandam*, Veendam* (*select dates only)

If so, which is better for an active family?

Are there any highly sought-after rooms that have larger balconies, better room configerations, or square footage? (It seems like every ship has a hand-full of these and since I will be booking as soon as the dates are released, I don't want to miss out on a great cabin.)

TIA.

Ryndam, Statendam, Zaandam*, Veendam* (*select dates only)

If so, which is better for an active family?

Are there any highly sought-after rooms that have larger balconies, better room configerations, or square footage? (It seems like every ship has a hand-full of these and since I will be booking as soon as the dates are released, I don't want to miss out on a great cabin.)

TIA.

Although some will profess to have a "favorite" ship among those four, they are in fact so nearly identical that it really doesn't make much difference which you choose. The Zaandam is slightly larger and 3 to 6 years newer than the others, and both of those give it a slight edge IMO.

As far as "better" rooms, I think it is more a case of handful that are less desirable than the majority that are pretty much the same. It seems to me that most of the room complaints on R/S ships are from people who were bothered by noise from deck chairs or early morning deck-cleaning activity above them around the two pools.

Just checking the deck plans on the Zaandam, I can't seem to locate quad rooms with a balcony without jumping up to the suite categories. Is this true?

Scarlette:

I'm seeing outside view quads in "E" category on the Main Deck, and a few in the "F" category on Dolphin Deck. I can never look at those teeny, weeny deck plans without a magnifying glass:eek: , though, so maybe I'm missing some others.

Karin

HAL PAL

I am not sure where you read there would be no Vista Class ships out of Vancouver for 2008. I really need to find a cruise planner that shows what ships would be where but....with that being siad my thought would be that the Westerdam would replace the Zuiderdam in Vancouver for 2008. This summer the Westerdam will be going thru what I call her Aft-lift by adding new cabins and basically now looking like the Noordam. The Zuiderdam will be going thru that the early summer of 2008. This year the Noordam replace the Amsterdam going out of Seattle on Sundays and I am pretty sure the Noordam goes back to Europe for the summer in 2008 and I am hoping that the Amsterdam returns doing the 7 day round trips.

Now I admit I am just guessing on all this but if at all possible I think the Westerdam would be a much better choice for your family if she infact will be going out of Vancouver. I think the smaller ships tend to still draw far less children even in the summer. I can't imagine that HAL would not have a Vista Class ship going out of Vancouver. I know that the Oosterdam will remain going out of Seattle till the summer of 2009 and oh how I wish they would quit now while they still can. Yes, go ahead and remodel the shops and many of the other areas but leave the aft the way it is.

I did find where HAL is showing the Westerdam leaving Seattle in September 2008 for a Panama Canal Voyage so it does look like she will be going out of Seattle. How unfortunate. They really should have place a Vista Class in Vancouver.

Scarlette:

I'm seeing outside view quads in "E" category on the Main Deck, and a few in the "F" category on Dolphin Deck. I can never look at those teeny, weeny deck plans without a magnifying glass:eek: , though, so maybe I'm missing some others.

Karin

HAL PAL

Thanks for checking those out, but arn't those "oceanview", I am interested in a verandah cabin, without jumping up to a suite.

Thanks for checking those out, but arn't those "oceanview", I am interested in a verandah cabin, without jumping up to a suite.

Oh sorry, I didn't realize you were looking for a verandah. You might try checking directly with HAL or your travel agent about quad cabins. Good luck to you and your family:)

Karin

Thank you! It looks like Vancouver round-trip would best suit my family (price-wise).

Roundtrip Vancouver:

Ryndam, Statendam, Zaandam*, Veendam* (*select dates only).

The "select dates only" for the Zaandam and Veendam indicate the very beginning and end of the season. So, it looks like that leaves the Ryndam and Statendam. Those two ships are virtually identical in deck plan. Usually the ports will be the same for ships out of Vancouver.

In that case you might want to look at the day of the week for (dis)embarkation, and what other ships will be in ports with you. How crowded is it going to be? How convenient is it for you to fly on the different days? Expense difference on flights?

Scarlette

I will to defer to LaffnVegas - if you follow the HAL boards she is one of the experts on this board when it comes to HAL along with several other posters (Sail) whose screen names you will see. I agree that a Vista will attract more families - there were quite a few families on our Oosterdam (I should say LaffenVegas' Oosterdam - she should be her honorary Godmother in my opinion!) sailing R/T out of Seattle then our Statendam Seward to Vancouver. Both sailings had about 100+ children on board - but that is from infants to age eighteen. The O had more kids in the 5-14 age group then the Statendam. Our girls loved Alaska - as a family we did such great excursions from rock climbing (real rock climbing not a rock wall!) in Skagway, dog sledding, whale watching, lubberjack show - yes it was hoakey - but we had a good laugh. We already decided that we'd give Alaska a year or two off but next time we'll do a R/T out of Vancouver - so I think you are picking the best R/T. Vancouver looks like a great city for a precruise.

Skagway was our favorite port by far and HAS to be on our next sailing.

I can't imagine that HAL would not have a Vista Class ship going out of Vancouver. I know that the Oosterdam will remain going out of Seattle till the summer of 2009.

LAFFNVEGAS,

Thank you for your information. I do love Vancouver, but if there are no V class ships sailing out of Vancouver in 2008, I would gladly change my plans.

So did I read correctly that you think both Oosterdam and Westerdam will be sailing out of Seattle in 2008? Which ship to you recommend for my family of 4?

Scarlette

LAFFNVEGAS,

Thank you for your information. I do love Vancouver, but if there are no V class ships sailing out of Vancouver in 2008, I would gladly change my plans.

So did I read correctly that you think both Oosterdam and Westerdam will be sailing out of Seattle in 2008? Which ship to you recommend for my family of 4?

Scarlette

While it does appear to look like both Vista Class will be in Seattle and that may be very true I also see several mistakes on the Cruise Planner and we can just hop that this could be one of them.:)

Archived