Halp!!! Need Juneau Whale Watching Help Asap!!

donkeytiara

Just my 2c worth - we went with Captain Larry, Orca Enterprises two years ago, and hope to be with him again this year for our second visit to Alaska, (HAL Zaandam). We were very happy with the tour. Captain Larry is quite a character! We were very impressed with his knowledge of all things marine.

Please note - this is not meant to put down any other tours, just my experience of the tour we enjoyed. I think most people would be happy with any whale watching tour in Juneau.

i was out with him for 3 hours, never saw anyone smoking anything.

he was standing on the dock, helped us on board and greeted everyone.

the boat smelled of the sea...nothing else. dh sat 2 rows behind capt larry for the whole time, he can't do that with anyone who smelled of smoke.

the only thing i saw that was "smoked" was the salmon they served as a snack...boy, was it good!!!

i envy everyone going out earlier in the season (i was there in sept), when the humpbacks are returning from hawaii and are really, really hungry. the reports of "bubble-net" feeding, last year..were terrific.

Here's my .02

In 3 weeks , my wife and I are Alaska bound for the first time.

I've lived in Florida my whole life. The land of the midnight madness,all you can ride theme park attractions. Alaska may have Mckinley,but hey,thats only one mountain. Here we've got Space,Splash,and Big Thunder all within walking distance of each other. I started going to Disney parks when I was 12 yrs old and its been a 35 yr love affair. You would be hard pressed to find someone with more knowledge of Disney parks and attractions then me , but , and here's my point , I guarantee you that for every opinion I have about which park/ride/show is the best , you'll find 100 other people that will disagree. And,thats fine with me,because I base my opinions on what I like,whats fun to me. If you want to ask me I'll tell you,but be prepared to be disappointed if it's not the answer you're looking for.

So,having said that, lighten up on each other folks !!! If you're going to hop on a tour based on someone else's reccomedation thats fine , just don't be disappointed when your expectations dont live up to what someone else perceives to be solid gold.

From what I've read Capt Larry seems to be a walking whale encyclopedia. So,if your goal in going on a whale tour is to learn as much about whales as possible,are you really going to pass up that knowledge just because the guy didnt answer the phone on the 1st ring. On the other hand, I chose Harv and Marv because after being on a cruise ship w/ thousands of other people,getting out on a tour with only 4 other people really appeals to me.

As a newbie to Alaska,I appreciate everyone's insight and advice. Its up to me to take that info and tailor it to my own preferences

I would suggest calling Orca Enterprises and requesting the small boat just for your group. They don't try to fill their boats to limits anyway so your group should be right size. That would be same as chartering a boat.

That is what we did and had a great time with Scotty. have boats and DH is navy and we saw no problems with the smaller boat and Scotty and his crew are wonderful!

Hello Everyone,

I booked several months ago with Orca Enterprises because of so many wonderful recommendations that I had read about them. However, I am now becoming concerned about having booked w/ them after reading several negative posts recently.:o

What I don't understand also, is when I use the search mode, I am unable to find the exsisting thread where most of these posts originated. I am quite confused and concerned.

here's a review from last sept...

they are GREAAATT!!!!

long time vendors with solid rep. office right at the docks.

had the best time, wish i was going this year.

when you get off the ship, head over to their office...(can't miss it, it has a black/white orca hanging over the 2nd floor) the ladies will have your paperwork for you to sign (credit slip, unless they have changed their system) check out the photo on the walls, great shots of humpbacks. last year they had a video playing, wish i had bought it. outstanding video of humpbacks.

since i only saw a well maintain boat that was handled safely and with care but knowledge people...i won't help spread any negative about any of the vendors. for anyone who wants to hear the positive...just ask:D

didn't look before, but since you said something..it seems he has disappears. if you look back a few posts to where host caroline posted. right before that was a post by ocrafan. it's gone now, plus all his other posts. she was countering what he had just posted, with her only experience.

since no one else has ever mentioned any duct tape or cigs...i would question what he wrote. all last summer only glowing reports from all whale watchers, no matter who then went with. the small boats (6 passengers) are not inspected the same way the larger boats (ocra enterprises, allen marine) are. but i am sure the coast guard inspection would not allow what was hinted at by the poster you are asking about.

it's just a shame that someone come on and makes others so nervous in just a few posting. especially after all this time with such great reviews.

if the host/moderators feel like things are getting out of hand, personal or just plain lies, yes..they have control. but only them. they don't step in too offen. usually has to be really, really bad for them to do anything.

:eek: i don't envy them!!

Toyz,

Thank you...

but I am still concerned about the cigarette butts and duct tape. Can you tell me how to find the previous threads where OrcaFan has been quoted about these issues. Thank you for your help.

Thankful - It appears that OrcaFan has gone to the great beyond. I searched for any/all posts by OrcaFan and that screen name isn't recognized. Sometimes when someone posts something negative, particularly about people who are very popular, or if they are suspected of advertising, they are banned. It's happened before. I'm sure it will happen again. This time the poster (OrcaFan) has not been banned - he's disappeared. :eek: Remember - we don't pay for this board, so we don't make the rules.

IMHO, it might be better to delete an entire thread when management decides it must delete particular post(er)s, simply so that other members of Cruise Critic don't get confused.

Sam

if the host/moderators feel like things are getting out of hand, personal or just plain lies, yes..they have control. but only them. they don't step in too offen. usually has to be really, really bad for them to do anything.

Toys711 - I don't think that in this case it was necessarily the case that it was personal "or just plain lies" (that's a pretty strong judgment BTW). But as I just stated, it might be better to delete the thread. That's what's happened before. And I'm not sure it's only when it's "really, really bad" that this happens. It may just be that particularly popular firms/posters are really pretty much off limits. It's also my understanding that CC warns the "violating" party before they are banned.

Sam

;) I'm a mod on a board that has NOTHING to do with cruising or travel. But you've got it right Toyz - it is NOT an enviable job!! Personally I think they're doing a great job around here! :)

It's also my understanding that CC warns the "violating" party before they are banned.

Sam

Actually, Sam,....In my case, I was banned (for 10 days) without warning. I said nothing unkind or untrue...I was merely trying to be funny when two other members were being VERY malicious towards each other, and I tried to lighten the topic, by interjecting something light hearted...

Anyway, I have, hopefully, learned my lesson. I now, TRY and stay ON TOPIC; I do not type in colored or unusual font, and I try never, ever to say anything that might be taken as funny or humorous.

P.S. When you are banned, temporarily or permanently, your computer IP address is blocked, so you can not even lurk during your banning.

SO, WATCH your 'P's and 'Q's, People, lest it happen to you.

Go Big Orange!!! :)

So did CC send you an email describing your infraction and the length of your ban, or did you just try to "lurk" (what a horrible term for simply reading threads) and weren't able to do so?

Just wondering.

Sam

Hi Sam,

Unfortunately, No email was sent....

When I tried to log on, there was simply a message that read "You have been banned for 'disrupting the boards' until 8:32pm. on such and such date."

As stated, on that date at that time, I was able to log on and post again.

However, during that 10 day period, I was not able to view any of the boards on Cruise Critic, not just the Alaska boards.

Funny thing about being called 'disruptive', I am a rule follower....Always have been...was never sent to detention as a kid or the like....don't drink, don't smoke....but as far as CC goes....I got the SCARLET LETTER.:cool:

Honestly, I was trying to take some tension off of a very sticky thread and 'WHAM'...:eek:

By the way, in case anyone wants to search for the thread....it was removed, or at least the posts were.

Archived