Help...Kids club Question???

New to cruising. Planning on going on the Legend of the Seas this June. Have two kids (14 and 9). How is the Legend for kids this age? I read on another thread that the solarium is for adults only. Are there any pools/areas on the Legend for kids?

The Legend OTS is a Vision class ship. The Solarium is adults only, unless the weather is bad, then children are allowed to swim in the Solarium pool. When the weather is nice the kids can swim in the main pool.

I don't have any Legend OTS photos, but I do have some from the Vision OTS. The ships are of the same class, so the same areas on the Legend will look very similar to the photos below ...

The main pool (which your children can swim in) ...

Pool+pan+from+Viking+Crown+Lounge+looking+forward.jpg

The rock climbing wall ...

Rock+wall+-+pan1.jpg

Rock wall rules ...

Rock+wall+rules.jpg

Both of your children are old enough to do the rock climbing if they want.

The video arcade ...

AO+Video+Arcade+-+pan.jpg

An area for the teens to hang out. To the right is a dance floor. To the left is a wet bar (soft drinks only) ...

AO+Fantaseas+-+pan.jpg

Also, the pools are filled with salt water so that should be helpful with floating for the kids I would think. Why did they eliminate the children's pool on Navigator and Mariner? Did they replace that area with something else? Like a bigger kids' club?

We just got back from a week on FOTS. We paid $300 more for our Grand Suite than my price quote for a cat 6. The room was about twice a big (we have sailed a cat 6 twice and have one booked in Dec). The concierge was wonderful and the extra space in the room and balcony can not be described. We are wondering how we will enjoy our Christmas cruise on Disney.

We loved the Freedom. Our daughter is 11 and enjoyed spending time in Adventure Ocean.

I am sooo glad to see a good review of a GS on FOS. I keep reading posts about the chairs sliding across the pool decks above and making noise. What cabin were you in if you don't mind me asking? Also, I had read that some kids on FOS said that AO was "like going to school" :eek: and they didn't want to go. My 7 year old has never met a kids club she didn't like...so I doubt we will have the same problem. ;)

And my GS was the same price as a Disney Cat 6 because I booked it about a year and a half ago. It didn't have time to go up in price. :D

I would love to hear more about your trip.

Also, the pools are filled with salt water so that should be helpful with floating for the kids I would think. Why did they eliminate the children's pool on Navigator and Mariner? Did they replace that area with something else? Like a bigger kids' club?

On NOS and Mariner, they did away with it and enlarged the teen area of the kids club somewhat and then there are just chairs and sunchairs back there now. I never went back there after the first day when looking around. Not sure how much it was utilized by teens or other guests. I do think the Adventure Ocean was never in a good spot to begin with on the Voyager class but to take it completely away was not a good decision. The FOS seems to have a more sunny open play area like the Radiance class does. Adventure Ocean, there aren't too many sunny areas or places for parents to lay out and watch the kids.

Yes. RCI found the kids pool was being under used. So now the teens have an expanded area for them. It is called fuel (the dance club) and the Living Room (a place to just hang out). RCI has a designated section of one of the main pools for children.

The teen area ...

2-Teens+only.jpg

Inside the Living Room ...

3-Living+room.jpg

Teen's computer center (between the Living Room and Fuel) ...

4-Computers.jpg

Fuel ...

7-Fuel.jpg

The teen's expanded back deck area ...

6-back+deck.jpg

There is a limit of five photos per post. See the next post for the children's pool on the Navigator of the Seas (the Mariner OTS has a similar setup).

This is what the children's pool is on the Navigator and the Mariner OTS ...

See the fenced off area, that is the children's pool ...

3-Pool-2.jpg

See the inflatable pool to the left of the fenced off area, the staff brought that out a couple of times also.

As you can see, the fenced off area is very shallow (the woman is in the children's section of the main pool) ...

2-Pool-1.jpg

Cuizer2 - thanks for all the pictures. Gives us a great idea of how things are...

I assume the kids have to pay to play the games at the video arcade? Do they have to pay to use the computer as well? [ can they play computer games - without connecting to the internet?]

Cuizer2 - thanks for all the pictures. Gives us a great idea of how things are...

I assume the kids have to pay to play the games at the video arcade? Do they have to pay to use the computer as well? [ can they play computer games - without connecting to the internet?]

You know, the only time I ever used a ship's computer was on my first cruise (I can't even remember the name of the line, though I do remember the name of the ship) and using the computers without connecting to the Internet was free.

Just looking at the set up, I would say that it is very much more likely than not that using the computer without connecting to the Internet is free. However, I would doubt that the kids can load their own games. I am sure they are limited to the games that are already loaded on the computer.

Thanks for the great feedback!

We are still trying to decide what to do. Looks like we are leaning toward the larger ships but the itineraries are ones we have done many times already. I guess at this point with the kids the ship is more important to them than the stops. I wish I could get the ship I want to go somewhere I haven't been multiple times already.

Keep the great information coming!

Great information! We are going on Mariner may 6th with our 4 year old twins (and a babysitter because I am 5 mos pregnant too and can use help!)

We LOVE cruising but this my twins first time ever on a boat..we are so excited to see their faces when they see the enormity of it! Do you think the kids club is good for their ages? The posts here seem to lead me to believe that for little kids (3-6) disney might have been a better choice but we didnt want to go on disney (ok we are selfish!!) and also price wise we could get two cabins and bring our babysitter for the price that 1 was costing on disney!

Just looking for some feedback on the younger kids experience - say 3-5 years old.

Thanks

Well we did it! We just booked on the Liberty of the Seas for April 19th of 2008.

I hope the kids will love it as much as they did there Disney cruise...

I was going to book an ocean view w/ balcony but then I saw I was able to get two rooms with an adjoining door for the same price. They are promenade View rooms. I know I will love the extra space and the extra bathroom. I hope I wont regret not having the balcony...

Disney was our first cruise and DD was 5 at the time. She hated the kids club. When we first sailed RCL we thought we'd hit the jackpot. For 3 straight years she loved AO. Now, she's 10 and absolutely hates it. I think for the most part it's too disorganized and as she calls it, too "boy" oriented. There were a LOT of Adventure Science activities. She doesn't believe she should HAVE to learn on vacation. I think she went for a total of about 4 hours.

The first cruise for our kids was the Disney cruise. They loved it and had an amazing time. Disney is a little on the expensive side and we are looking to take another Family cruise. My wife and I were hoping some one could tell us the best ship in the fleet for the kids. I'm sure the Staff is great on all the ships but the kids got spoiled with the huge kids club areas on the Disney ship. What would be the best ship for us. I was hoping to find one with a larger kids club area as well as great programs. If anyone could share with us your experience with the kids club and the ships.

Thanks

Andy

Just an added note my son will be almost 6 and my daughter will be 8 when we take our next cruise.

Hi Andy,

Princess, Celebrity, Carnival and Holland America all offer great children's programs. I think personally, Princess ships had some really great rooms for the kids and they love their games and prizes. I think just about any ship will be fun for them. While I will probably not travel on a Disney ship (I think they are way overpriced, plus my kid is almost 18), I think you can travel more if you try other lines and look for the deals.

Good luck - I hope that helps!

Laurie (AKA cruiselover57 - using my sister's log-on at the moment)!

Just looking for some feedback on the younger kids experience - say 3-5 years old.

Thanks

My cousin's 4 yo had an amazing time on Navigator in February. He was so busy with all the Adventure Ocean activities-- day/night/whenever. He made friends, made a lot of projects, was a pirate in a parade. My cousin was very very happy with the counselors. This was on sea days and at night; he was with us on port days.

What an awesome thread with great pics. We are still convincing our DS12 that the Mariner will be better than the Disney Magic was. Looking at all of your pics and all of your comments I think I need for him to just read this thread too.

The Disney Magic was great, but lots and lots of green stuff as well. We are just so jacked for this next cruise on the Mariner.:D

Archived