Short Review of Conquest March 25th

Richbutnot

I will just expand on the other reviews I’ve read from the same cruise. This was the 5th cruise for my wife and I, first for the kids (boy 17, girl 14). DW and I took this same cruise last April for our 20th anniversary and took the kids over spring break as a graduation present for DS. Half the ship seemed to be from Arkansas, so we felt right at home.

We got to the pier about 10:30 and we on the ship a little after noon. The wait really didn’t seem that long. I dropped everyone else off with the luggage, parked at EZ Cruise and walked back. The first thing we did was make a reservation for The Point supper club on Tuesday. This is the most popular night and fills up early. We HIGHLY recommend eating here one night. We had four people waiting on us and the food is excellent. Well worth the $30 per person.

We had a balcony room on the Empress Deck, near the mid-ship elevator. The kids had a room across the hall. We like this location because it’s either two decks up or two decks down from all the action, so we can easily use the stairs instead of waiting on elevators. Plus there are cabins above and below, so noise from public decks is not a factor. We ate at the Main Seating in the Renoir Dining Room which we really enjoyed. Much better service and more fun than the Monet where we ate last year.

In Jamaica, we used A-Z Planners to go to YS Falls and did the new Zip Lines. This was fantastic. I wrote a full review on the Jamaica Board. In Grand Cayman we used Captain Marvin for a two snorkel stop and stingray city tour. This was our second time with them. It was a little rough for snorkeling, but the kids enjoyed their first snorkeling experience. They really loved the stingrays. Saw a sea turtle on the way out, and some 2-foot long iguanas along the shore on the way in. In Cozumel we just walked around a couple hours, did some shopping, then went back and enjoyed the pool all by ourselves. We went down the waterslide, and were the only ones in the pool and hot tub.

Sea Days were spent relaxing. We’re not real big into lounging around the pool, but we did lay out for a an hour or so each day. The chair hogs were out, but we just moved their stuff and were ready to give the seats back up if they returned, but not one ever did. I won a Ship on a Stick playing Game Show Mania and DS got one for Bean Bag Toss.

The Cruise Director, James Smith, was pretty much non-existent as far we were concerned. He did the port talks and disembarkation talk, but we didn’t go to either. The only time we saw him was at the Captain’s Party and the Past Guest Party. He didn’t even MC the Newlywed Game. Andre the Social Host was great. I don’t know if this position is new, but he seemed to do the things the cruise director has done on our past cruises. Very funny and friendly. Entertainment was not as good as past cruises. Comedians were good and so was the Motown singer (don’t remember any names), but they never had a band playing on the Lido Deck. How can you have a cruise without a Calypso Band? I think some of it had to do with all the kids on board. They even toned down the questions for the Newlywed Game.

Our 17 year old son had a lot to do in Club O2 and had a great time. There were hundreds of kids his age on board. Our 14 year old daughter had a great time also, but didn’t have as much to do. She was in the 12-14 year old group, but most of them were 12 year olds, so she was a little out of place.

We did self-assist disembarkation, but so did over half the ship. We were first off the ship after everyone that had flights to catch and the customs line was very long. We got a porter to take us and our luggage to the front of the line which saved at least a half hour. Best $10 I spent all week. We walked our luggage to EZ Cruise and were on the road by 8:15.

Thanks for taking the time to post.. Glad you had a good time. We leave in 2 weeks and I am counting down the days....

Did you actually wait in line for an hour and a half to get on the ship?? What time did they start check-in?? We plan on getting to the pier around noon...like everyone else.. Wondering if we should try and get there any earlier?!

Did you use the Spa? If so, what were your experiences?

Thanks...Enjoyed your review.

Carla

We ate breakfast in the dining room most days. They have daily specials which are real good: eggs with chicken and spinach, eggs and salmon, etc. Ate in a different place for lunch every day. Sur Mer was great. They will cook any seafood you want, even if its not on the menu. Had a very good Reuben from the deli. Chinese (didn’t know what to get so I got a scoop of everything). Great hamburgers and pizza.

Our one complaint was the long lines to get on the ship in Jamaica and Cayman Islands. At least 30 minutes in each port. Did not have this problem last year.

Thanks for taking the time to post.. Glad you had a good time. We leave in 2 weeks and I am counting down the days....

Did you actually wait in line for an hour and a half to get on the ship?? What time did they start check-in?? We plan on getting to the pier around noon...like everyone else.. Wondering if we should try and get there any earlier?!

Did you use the Spa? If so' date=' what were your experiences?[/color']

Thanks...Enjoyed your review.

Carla

I dropped the wife and kids off at about 10:30. I met them upstairs and we waited about 30 minutes for security (standing). Got through security and there was no line to check in. Then had to wait another 30 minutes or so (in seats) waiting to board. It was either wait there or wait in a hotel room.

Didn't use the Spa this time, but have in the past. Generally good massages, but expensive and they try to sell you their products. Just tell them you're not interested and they will back off. Everything is cheaper in the spa on port days.

Archived