Helicopter tour choices

skogler

Has anyone been on a helicopter tour in Alaska? We are trying to decide whether to take a flight in Skagway and look and land on the glacier, or take a flight out of Denali when we are on our land tour.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Scott

We took one out of Skagway (Pilot's Choice) last year and it was awesome. All 4 of us thought it was the coolest thing we've ever done. We landed twice (once on top of a mountain) and got to look down into a crevasse (sp) on the glacier. The scenery was magnificent. Words really can't do justice to describe it.

Can't comment on the one in Denali, since this is the only one we've done. We tried to go out of Juneau two years before this and it was cancelled due to weather. Maybe you could book the one out of Skagway and take it if your Denali trip is cancelled because of weather - happens a lot. On Princess cruise line, if you book their tour, you can cancel up to two days before the planned tour day and you don't have to put a deposit down. Not sure about other cruise lines. Independent, I know you have to pay the deposit and cancel well before the planned tour date.

Hope this helps.

I have flown out of Juneau and Skagway, total 6 trips. 5 single landings 1 double landing. 2 glacier dog sled trips canceled, 1 single landing trip canceled. :) Hint- have back up plans and know what is available so to not waste your day. Flight can and do cancel.

Spectacular and probably my top tour choice.

I have only flown in planes out of Talkeetna for summit flights- my clear preference and ski planes that landed.

• 2 weeks later...

was the helicopter ride out of skagway as good as the ones out of juneau??

which helicopter tour should we take?? they are all so confusing to me. if it says "pilot's choice" does that mean that we have a better chance of not getting canceled due to other issues?

we also would love to go on a tour that would allow us to see whales!!!

a few years ago, my husband and I went on a glacier landing/hike in juneau and it was such an amazing experience that we are making that our biggest priority on this trip with our 3 kids (9, 16 and 18) the 9 year old is a great athlete-so she can keep up with most adults!!!!

thanks!!

We're booked with Orca in Juneau and they took care of the co-booking with Coastal helicopters for a glacier landing. You might want to check on that. Co-booking will save you a lot of transit time.

was the helicopter ride out of skagway as good as the ones out of juneau??

which helicopter tour should we take?? they are all so confusing to me. if it says "pilot's choice" does that mean that we have a better chance of not getting canceled due to other issues?

we also would love to go on a tour that would allow us to see whales!!!

a few years ago, my husband and I went on a glacier landing/hike in juneau and it was such an amazing experience that we are making that our biggest priority on this trip with our 3 kids (9, 16 and 18) the 9 year old is a great athlete-so she can keep up with most adults!!!!

thanks!!

No the "pilot's choice" tour will have no advantage of cancelations over any other tour except the glacier dog sledding.

It doesn't matter where you do this. each trip is unique with the glacier in a constant state of change. Go where you have the most time.

If you do book a whale watch, as mentioned above, I recommend you cobook so to not go back and forth downtown, saving an hour of shuttle time.

Archived