Best Way from Civitavecchia to Rome

We will going to be on Brilliance of the Seas for the April 29th cruise and are doing our "What to do?" in each port of call. We want to know the best way (cost-effective) to get Rome from the Civitavecchia port..... taxi?, train?

We want to know the best way (cost-effective) to get Rome from the Civitavecchia port..... taxi?, train?

Just walk... if you are asking for the cost-effective way!

We took the trains - but just use the search function and you'll find hundreds of descriptions for the use of the trains.

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed

Actually walking would not be cost effective as you would probably need about 12-14 bottles of water plus the cost of repairing your shoes...a total of say $25.

The train is less than this figure and if you walked you would need to turn back about 70% of the way to get to the Ship before it departs.

The train is certainly the cheapest way but we did that last year and vowed NEVER to repeat that experience.......no taxis at Civitavechia and we were docked about 2 miles from Station and it was 90 degrees. The platform at Rome is about half a mile from the main station.......and there were no taxis available....eventually we took a bus. The waiting time was 20 minutes.

Next time we will get the coach.

Brian

HeinBloed

Actually walking would not be cost effective as you would probably need about 12-14 bottles of water plus the cost of repairing your shoes...a total of say $25.

The train is less than this figure and if you walked you would need to turn back about 70% of the way to get to the Ship before it departs.

The train is certainly the cheapest way but we did that last year and vowed NEVER to repeat that experience.......no taxis at Civitavechia and we were docked about 2 miles from Station and it was 90 degrees. The platform at Rome is about half a mile from the main station.......and there were no taxis available....eventually we took a bus. The waiting time was 20 minutes.

Next time we will get the coach.

Brian

This is the first posting that I have come across that said that the train was not effective. We were planning to use the train but now I am worried. What do you all think?

Jennie

Trains are the most cost effective to travel from Civitavecchia to Rome (or just about anywhere in Italy.) You must allow your self extra time at either end of your trip and be ready to expect the unexpected (track/train changes, etc.) Overall the experience will generally be good.

I have probably taken close to 100 trains in Italy (and other European countries) and have had only a couple of instances that were considered to be extreme annoyances.

Not to worry. Enjoy your trip - you are on vacation.

It's a simple calculation:

1 taxi Civitavecchia - Rome roughly 100 EUR x 2 = 200 EUR

If you get a FIAT MULTIPLA 200 EUR / 5 (6 seats ./. driver) = 40 EUR pp return

5 BIRG (4 zones) 1-day-passes incl. public transit in Rome = 7 EUR x 5 = 35 EUR return for all 5 persons = 7 EUR pp return

walking

14 bottles of water = 7 EUR

1 new shoe sole express service = 10 EUR

17 EUR x 2 = 34 EUR pp return

brian_uk: your aspects are totally right - under focussing the costs you are right... you should exclude walking to rome.

Did you include the return of the bottles (deposit) to your suggestions...

Regards,

HeinBloed

I am roaring about the "walk" suggestion. I regularly walk 12 miles a day, so I guess I could make the walk in about 3 or 4 days (wonder how the gypsies deal with walkers). Ok, so getting back to the OP, the only cost effective method is to use the train. The "Civ" port authority operates a free shuttle bus from the ships to the port entrance ( I don't understand why Brian UK didn't use this option). From there, its a reasonable walk (about 10 minutes) to the train station. Trains to Rome run at least once per hour (often more often) and will get you into Rome in about 1 hour to 1:15 (faster than the overpriced cruise ship buses). Now, I will give you one warning. If its hot (or even if its not) dress very comfortably since you will do a lot of walking (Rome is a sprawling city). Keep in mind that most of the trains only have Italian Air Conditioning (open windows) and the early morning trains can be very crowded (they are basically commuter trains to Rome).

Hank

HeinBloed ... thanks for the laugh :D

I thought that the train was a very easy and inexpensive way to go to Rome and back and wouldn't hesitate to go that way again.

Here's a link to detailed instructions/photos, just in case you haven't seen it yet: http://www.europeportreviews.com/Rome2.htm

Also, I recommend printing off & carrying the timetables for the times that you will be travelling: http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html (use 'Roma Termini' for the terminal)

p.s. PR Cruiser - just noticed what a great itinerary you have with 2 days in Rome!

Trains to Rome run at least once per hour (often more often)

mostly 3 trains per hour

and will get you into Rome in about 1 hour to 1:15 (faster than the overpriced cruise ship buses).

well - espcially if you want to go to the Vatican - St. Peter - the regional trains will also stop at ROMA S. PIETRO which is located 10 minutes walking distance to Peter Square.

Now, I will give you one warning. If its hot (or even if its not) dress very comfortably since you will do a lot of walking (Rome is a sprawling city).

Oh yes - you are right: we forgot in my calculation: DEODORANT!!!

Keep in mind that most of the trains only have Italian Air Conditioning (open windows)

Oh yes 2 - you are right: HAIRSPRAY to fix the hair... or an additional visit with the hairstylist must be added on the price of the train tickets...

and the early morning trains can be very crowded (they are basically commuter trains to Rome).

There are some which starts in Civitavecchia... it's o.k..

but to avoid the problem he might use the long-distance trains...

The problem they are more expensive but have a "classical" aircondition -

If your budget allows 21 EUR pp return by IC/EC-trains + 4 EUR for a 1-day-pass (BIG) within Rome for public transport you can use trains with aircondition "American style"...

Regards,

HeinBloed

When leaving the pier by train can you continue on to the airport?

yes

Do you have to switch trains?

Roma Ostiense for local/metropolitan train

alternatively

Roma Termini for Leonardo Express

What is the name of the stop for the airport?

Fiumicino Aeroporto

Regards,

HeinBloed

See here.

Trains are the most cost effective to travel from Civitavecchia to Rome (or just about anywhere in Italy.) You must allow your self extra time at either end of your trip and be ready to expect the unexpected (track/train changes, etc.) Overall the experience will generally be good.

I have probably taken close to 100 trains in Italy (and other European countries) and have had only a couple of instances that were considered to be extreme annoyances.

Not to worry. Enjoy your trip - you are on vacation.

I agree. Upon arrival at the airport in Rome, we took the train, Leonardo Express, to Termini station and then the subway to our hotel. It was quite easy to do as long as you can handle your own luggage. The next day, after doing a bit of sightseeing we took the train to Civitavecchia. The short walk from the station to the entrance of the port is quite doable and the Port Authority operates free shuttle to the ship. The second last day of our cruise, we were docked at Civitavecchia again and we bought a day pass to go into town - it covers both the train to and from Rome as well as public transit while in Rome.

Heinbloed, You comments have me again laughing (what a fun thread). Someday we should collarborate and write a travel book. I am not sure anyone would be interested in buying or reading or book, but we would have a lot of good laughs writing the manuscript.

Hank

Archived