Venice - RCL complimentary water shuttles?

No, they are not complimentary. In late 2005 they were about $10 per person, per day, for unlimited use. They take you to San Marcos Square, so you can see the Grand Canal, but not get off along the way.

We opted to walk over to Piazalle Roma and get an all day vapretto ticket. There are a lot of threads on the subject on this board, and I think the access from the back of the docks where the ships are has been closed down. So, the remaining walking route is through the front and across the overpass to Piazalle. Check and see if you are interested. People who have been more recently can tell you.

This url will show you where things are:

http://www.vtp.it/pages/comeRaggiungerci/crociere.jsp?n=0

We really like using the vapretto, because we could use it like a hop on/off boat, and take the whole Grand Canal trip twice to see everything on both sides, and then get off where we wanted.

If you look at the map from the url I posted above, you will see Piazalle Roma. Directly to the left of it is a little bridge across the inner canal. That's a pedestrian bridge, but the problem is getting to it, because I've read the parking lot between it and the docks has closed access to pedestrians, which is the easiest way to get to the bridge.

If you can go that way, it's a 10 minute walk.

If not, then you have to go out the front of the dock area (up at the top of all the dock area), and walk along the black line. That's an overpass. Turning right, you'll walk on down to Piazalle Roma. The whole walk is about 20 - 30 minutes that way.

Also, on the legend there is a reference to a maroon colored box which is the shuttle to Piazalle Roma. I don't know how much that costs, but I'd look for that. It's got to be cheaper than the ship's shuttle, and it's taking you to the right place to get on the vapretto, instead of all the way to San Marcos.

Archived