Destiny or Pride?

Hi,

For a few years I was an avid cruiser (6 cruises in 6 years) and then I had my son and we have been traveling less often. I am trying to plan a cruise for the end of July to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary.

I am torn between the Pride and Destiny. Destiny because of all the islands to explore and Pride because I don't have to worry about hurricane season as much!

We are looking for a "party type" atmosphere and games and entertainment on board. Do both ships have survivor and the amazing race games? Do they have karaoke? We are shy but we love to watch other people get involved!

Thanks for any advice or assistance!

Most of the islands Destiny visits are below the Hurricane Belt- Southern Caribbean. That won't stop some bad rain or tropical storms from passing through San Juan though. Me, personally, wouldn't miss the opportunity to see Dominica or Barbados again for any other cruise, but that's my opinion only.

You won't have as many things planned on board the Destiny during the day because there are no sea days with the port intensive itinerary- it would be hard to cram everything in to the final Saturday, but you never know.

Destiny has Karaoke every night, but embarkation night and it's alot of fun!! Tell your son to bring his CDG's with him if he owns some, cuz the selection of songs is pretty limited and outdated.

For me, it would be the ports I'm visiting that would help make my decision as long as the ships had the ammenities I needed to start with.

Good Luck!

The Destiny is a very Latino cruise with alot of salsa music and a very different atmosphere. I thought "party" atmosphere of the ship was very much directed to the Puerto Rican population of the ship and their style of music and dance. I loved the ports of the Destiny (it was one year ago before the new ports) but I did not like the "atmosphere" on the ship at all. And yes we tried very hard, a cruise is what you make it, we are very friendly outgoing people but there was an obstacle at everyturn onboard and we could only go so far. I would not sail from Puerto Rico again. Live and learn and I did.

The Destiny is a very Latino cruise with alot of salsa music and a very different atmosphere. I thought "party" atmosphere of the ship was very much directed to the Puerto Rican population of the ship and their style of music and dance. I loved the ports of the Destiny (it was one year ago before the new ports) but I did not like the "atmosphere" on the ship at all. And yes we tried very hard, a cruise is what you make it, we are very friendly outgoing people but there was an obstacle at everyturn onboard and we could only go so far. I would not sail from Puerto Rico again. Live and learn and I did.

Was it in December? I heard that it's school vacation month in PR and there are more puertorocans on the ships.

I suggest the PRIDE! I've been on her twice...once to the Eastern in 2003 on our honeymooon and then this past September to the Mexican Riviera. I LOVE THAT SHIP!

Tons of things to do and yes they have most of those types of games..I think alot of them do on a 7-dayer.

I agree also that it depends on what ports you want to stop in. When doing the M.R. the 3 ports are 3 days in a row and then you can relax the other sea days!

In Puerto Vallarta we did the Los Veranos Canopy Tour (15 ziplines) WAY FUN! We are doing it again in a few weeks in Jamaica! We also booked this directly through the company for half the price also. If interested in teh site you can email me at jbags58@aol.com. After the ziplines, we hit the CRYSTAL HOTEL for a 90 minute massage $40. YEAH BABY!! Now that was a great way to top off a full day!!

Mazatlan-We did a beach and shopping thingy..it was ok and I parasailed for the first time.

Cabo we did the SNUBA adventure which is cool....just like scuba but the tank is on a raft...got to see a baby blow fish....it was the cutest darn thing i've EVER SEEN!!

It was extremely hot and humid in Cabo and that was late September! UGH! That I didnt like but hey..I live in California...our summers get hot but we dont ge the humidity! THANK YOU LORD! lol..

So I dont know where the desiny will take you....but it IS all about the ports too! We dont travel in summer because we'd rather go when the kids are NOT out of school! Always last April, 1st week of May. Weather is warm but NOT stifling!!

ENJOY YOUR 10 year TRIP whatever you choose! Thats cool! CONGRATULATIONS!! :D

Sea Foam Green,

We too are from VA, and we spent our tenth anniversary on the Pride. We renewed our vows in Mazatlan and had teh time of our lives. We chose the Pride because of the Mexican Riviera. We have done the Caribbean several times and this was a nice change. We also love the Sea days, so this itinerary was perfect for us. We splurged and went for a Cat.11 with a wraparound ba;cony and were very happy with the money spent. Have fun with whatever you choose! Good luck and congratulations.

Thanks so much to everyone for the opinions. I think I am leaning more towards the Pride because I think that all the ports for the Destiny would exhaust us!

We are leaving our son with my parents and having a romantic getaway and I am so excited!

For those of you that have cruised the Pride, do you have reviews posted?

Thaks again!

We sailed the Destiny last September and while we loved the ports (and are booked on her again for this October) I have to agree that the "flavor" on this cruise was definitely more salsa type music and it was definitely geared more to the Puerto Rican people on board (I would say that about 80% of the people on board were from Puerto Rico). We had a great time and met lots of people that were very nice and learned a lot of new dance steps! While there was a language barrier with some of the people who only spoke spanish and mine is very limited - just a few words, everyone I met had a smile and a "hola" when passing or at breakfast and lunch in the dining room.

Archived