What kind of hat for the "Astor Ball"?

juneann

What kinds of hats have you guys worm or seen at the Astor Ball? Packing space seems to put limits on hat packing. The idea certainly sounds romantic. I was thinking of trying to find a vintage hat for the event. I can picture a ball at the Astor mansion in Newport Rhode Island but on the QM2 it must be fabulous. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Is it the "Ascot" ball? It's a horse racing theme nite on the last formal nite on the crossing. A couple days before, the QM2 had a hat making get together. One woman made a hat with a huge rim, trimed it with a pink feather boa and put a model of the QM2 on top. The hats that are to be worn should be the type that you would associate with what British ladys wear. I didn't see many men wearing top hats.

J.P.

Ascot races in England where the ladies vie with each other to wear the most outragous hat so they can be seen next day in the papers. As we say "if you can't fight wear a big hat". Go for it, make an exhibition of yourself.
David.

I was astonished at how enthusiastic the passengers were about the Ascot Ball, and how many ladies had actually brought big hats in hat boxes just to wear at the ball. The hats were big - wide brimmed, with lots of silk ribbons and flowers. Next to them, my humble vintage hat with black lace over the face looked like an afterthought. There was a big hat making party which took place that morning in the Golden Lion Pub, with lots of folks making the goofiest creations and having a lot of fun. As you might expect, it was one of these goofy creations which won the "Best Hat" contest - a little bit of a disappointment to the ladies who had hand carried their own hats in hatboxes on board. A few gents wore top hats, and the winning hat had been made by a gent. The hat theme was a real ice breaker and made for one of the livliest evenings in the Queens Room!

I second the comment about making the hats on the ship rather than bringing your own. You don't think it's possible to make a beautiful hat out of construction paper, but it is. And it really makes you feel a part of the festivities on board by joining in the hat-making event. It would be easy to bring your own, but then you miss out on all the fun of making one. I'd say don't bring one.

Bring or (better yet) make your most outrageous hat to wear to this event, held towards the last few days onboard. I saw some fantastic "designs" during the tandem crossing.

__ /7__/7__/7____
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[url]http://www.cupcaked.com/reviews[/url]

Thanks everyone for all the information.
I think I was so excited reading my precruise documents that I just read Astor by mistake.
Last night I was in the theater district in NY seeing 20th Century (very good) and I saw so many people with large crazy hats. It's was fun just thinking about all this. I think that we'll attend the hat making party and join in the fun. I can't see bringing along a bulky hatbox. I imagine that getting it back from London would be an event in itself.

Juneann--
Good for you in joining the fun of making your own hat! The one thing I would recommend you bring is your own pair of scissors, even if they're just the small, travel kind. We all just happened to have them in our travel kits, and they came in handy when we were confronted with a hundred women trying to share 3-4 scissors!! Knowing ahead of time that you'll need these will make you the envy of every woman there. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Of course, don't put them in your carry-on bag if you're flying into the port area, since airport security confiscates scissors. Just pack them away and pull them out on the day of the hat-making.

Have fun!!

The ascot ball sounds like fun! I am sailing on july 22 from london to new york- do they have this on all transatlantic sailings? i am also assigned to the britannia restaurant- do they have it in that restaurant also- someone mentioned that they had it in the queen's room.

Loria--
I don't know if they'll have it on every trans. trip. And don't bother calling Cunard, because when I called them to ask about the events, they didn't even tell me about the Ascot Ball, so you can imagine my surprise when I got on board to find one more formal event than expected.
The Ascot Ball, as well as the other themed balls, were held in the Queen's Room, usually with activities starting at 10pm, giving both early and late diners a chance to attend. I highly recommend participating in EVERYTHING, as sitting on the sidelines is no fun. The games and activities are all in good taste and not embarassing.

Have fun--it's a fantastic ship!

Loria,
Just to clarify: The Queens Room is not the same as the Queens Dining Room. The Queens Room is the ballroom on the QM2. It is for all passengers and there is dancing there every night. It is also where the special balls are held. As Sailsalot recommended, you will have more fun if you participate in everything. You are going to have a wonderful experience on the QM2.

I'm confused. Is the Ascot ball an additional formal night or one of the 2 on the transatlantic crossing? Since I live in NYC bringing scisssors will be easy. Thanks for the suggestion. The last time I flew I forgot to pack my manicure scissor and instead put it in my carry on only to have it removed.

thank you imacruizer and sailsalot! i was confused about the dining rooms- i did not realize their was a ball room also- just the "queen's dining room! i am traveling solo, in my early 30's, a world traveler,and very athletic, so i am hoping to participate in many activites!! thanks again for your information!!

Juneann--
Sorry I can't answer your question, but I was on a caribbean cruise, not a transatlantic, so I don't know what the dress days will be for your cruise. Maybe someone else will know?

LORIA--
You're very welcome for the info. It's great to know this stuff ahead of time. My sisters and I are in our 20s and 30s also and had such a great time on the ship. We tried everything out, from trivia games and dance classes to the darts competition. You're going to love it!

• 2 years later...
[FONT=Arial]Joy:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Saw that you may have wanted to change the spelling in the title of your post. I also read that Judy&Steve tried to change their heading but couldn't get it to change.:confused: I just posted elsewhere and had the same problem:( --until I happened on the [I]'go advanced'[/I] button next to the [I]'save' [/I]button after I got to the [I]'edit' [/I]area. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Try that the next time you need to 'edit' your heading...:) [/FONT]

Archived