Land Trip Decision Help - With Kids

wdw_dave

Thanks to all for experts for the posts I have been reading over the last couple of months. My family has been on multiple cruises and this will be our first 'non tropical' adventure. My boys will be 6 and 7 on the trip in 08. A note on my boys - they have been traveling since infants and have been on many excursions (ie hiking and river tubing in Belize) so they are very open to new adventures.

I have chosen Princess due to Glacier Bay route. I was going to do a cruisetour but based on everything I have read I have decided not to do that. Now comes my delimma ..... I like all the stops on the tours but they seem to cram too much into a short period of time. I am not sure which to choose for my family. I defiantley want to see Denali. I am thinking of starting on the Kenai Peninsula. Looks like a lot of family type activities we could do there such as river floats, boat trips, hiking, etc .... Then head to Denali. I would like to go to Fairbanks as well we only have a 6 nights post cruise.

The kids would love to take the train but not sure how that would work with the rental car ... maybe take the car to Kenai and then the train to Denali?

We also want to do some sort of flightseeing somewhere where we can land on a glacier.

Are there any GREAT TAs that focus on Alaska. I really do not like using them (I almost always know more with research and do better on my own) but in this case I think it might be beneficial.

Any thoughts on my loose plan and suggestions (lodging, etc) would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

I am certainly not an expert, but I have been planning my trip for almost 2 years now (we go this June), based on reading lots of books and advice from these boards. We are also on Princess. We are doing an 8-day pre-cruise independent land tour. We will be visiting Seward on the Kenai Peninsula and Denali, the 2 places you speak of, so you might be interested in looking at our itinerary and comments from the experts at this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=465925

We are staying at the Alaska Saltwater Lodge in Seward: http://www.alaskasaltwaterlodge.com/seward_lodging.htm

In Talkeetna http://www.talkeetnachalet.com/and Denali (Healy): http://www.denalilakeview.com/

However, with small children, I'm not sure the B&B would be a great choice.

We also wanted to take the train, but it just wasn't going to work with our itinerary. Taking the train to Denali was problematic because it's so hard to get around there without a car. But we are going to take the train excursion in Skagway, through Chilkoot Charters :) - this is one way to get a train trip in! http://www.skagwaysbesttour.com/

With six nights I am not sure if the Kenai Peninsula, Denali and Fairbanks is trying to cram too much in at one time. Depends on how much time you want to spend in each place.

One question you need to answer is how to get from Whittier to Seward. Do you rent a car in Whittier from Avis? Do you take one of the transportation options between the two? Do you make your way first to Anchorage to pick up a car then backtrack? That wastes time and also costs money to get from Whittier to Anchorage.

The most scenic train is from Seward to Anchorage so perhaps get from Whittier to Seward through a taxi service then Seward to Anchorage on the train, then pick up a rental car in Anchorage?

I also would not recommend a train to Denali - you need the flexibility of a car once there, especially with a family.

We also want to do some sort of flightseeing somewhere where we can land on a glacier.

This is best done from Talkeetna (roughly half way between Anchorage and Denali). Try to reserve it for your way to Denali so in case it gets cancelled due to weather you can reschedule it for your way back. Several companies do this with the glacier landing - you can do a search on this board for flightseeing.

I know a couple of people on this board are dead set against TA's, and a couple are TA cheerleaders. If you use a TA, ask many questions and find out their knowledge of Alaska. Many don't know much, some know more than most folks on this board. It is a matter of finding the right one. However, you can probably do the planning on your own if you invest the time to read. Many people post questions here that are answered countless times in previous posts. If you invest the time to go back and read several pages of posts, you will quickly find out a lot of information.

Once you figure out your timetable, then you can work on lodging.

Two tips - book your car rental as soon as you know your itinerary. You can always change the rental dates or cancel (though changing usually means a higher price). The earlier you book, the cheaper the car rental will be.

Secondly, book the shuttle bus into Denali, not a tour. You can get off the bus and do some hiking, then get back on a different bus. From what you have posted with previous experiences, I think your family would love getting off the bus. Just pick an easy place to do hiking (or a hard place if you are up for it!). There are few trails in the park, but if you stick to the "tundra" and the relative flat sections, it is easy hiking.

6 days is not a lot of time, to include Fairbanks which is a 2 night stay in my opinion. And although you claim your kids are well traveled (so are mine :) ) Denali Park has little overall interest for kids under 12 due to the vastness and priority of scenery opportunities over wildlife availablity. Binoculars are always necessary and even with them, can be looking at "wildlife dots". Probably wildlife viewing is 20% of the total time on most bus trips. If the kids are hikers, this would definately fit better for Denali. But if looking for a "zoo" like experience- it isn't.

What direction are you traveling?? If north- then I also suggest heading direct to Seward via shuttle/taxi and then the train Seward /Anchorage the next night with one overnight in Seward. Overnight in Anchorage- pick up car briefly see Anchorage. You need at least 2 overnights in Denali park. Then if you continue with your Fairbanks priority, 2 nights there. (can split 1 in Talkeetna and 1 in Fairbanks, if you get an overnight flight home.

Some things you may not be considering- significant drop fee for a one way Anchorage/Fairbanks car, but my only recommendation if you want Fairbanks. You do not have time to go back to Anchorage in your limited timeframe. Determine WHY you want to include Fairbanks??

There are many itinerary options you have for 6 days, that may make better use of time?? Skipping the train and spending 2 nights in Seward, then 2 in Homer, with rest in Anchroage would be another good option.

You do have the White Pass RR to also consider if you want train travel. This is more "exciting" with the drop offs. :) You do not have time for the Alaska RR outside of Anchorage/Seward otherwise.

Thanks .... to all.

I thought Fairbanks would be fun for the kids with the gold and steamboat .. but I am thinking it would be do much of a pain. That was one reason I did not like the tours - they seemed to spend to much time in Fairbanks and not enough in Denali.

I think my kids could tollerate about 6 hours in Denali Park. I am thinking of taking the shuttle in and making stops to do some easy hiking. I am sure with stops and running around the wilderness they will be fine (we have done this with camping in the past) With that amount of time would we get deep enough into Denali and do some hikes to see 'good' wildlife?

I will have to look into the other train option.

Thanks!

Dave

Thanks .... to all.

I thought Fairbanks would be fun for the kids with the gold and steamboat .. but I am thinking it would be do much of a pain. That was one reason I did not like the tours - they seemed to spend to much time in Fairbanks and not enough in Denali.

I think my kids could tollerate about 6 hours in Denali Park. I am thinking of taking the shuttle in and making stops to do some easy hiking. I am sure with stops and running around the wilderness they will be fine (we have done this with camping in the past) With that amount of time would we get deep enough into Denali and do some hikes to see 'good' wildlife?

I will have to look into the other train option.

Thanks!

Dave

6 hours is not a lot of time into Denali Park if you are considering this with stops and hikes. and short of my min. distance in, Fish Creek. No you are not going to be seeing "wildlife" on "good hikes". You have the wrong idea here. There are NO trails, you will be let off anywhere along the Park Road, that does NOT have wildlife in the area. From there, you make your own trail, walking amoung tundra brush. Some areas don't have as good viewing as you have from a bus on the road. There are NO services, unless you are at the rest stops which only have bathrooms. No shelter etc. If you are looking at 6 hours total, I doubt you would even get to Polychrome on the shuttle??

You need to do your homework- so I suggest you go spend some time http://www.nps.gov/dena There are some guided hikes at Savage River, and ranger programs, and the visitor center at the entrance which offer great opportunities that aren't long time commitments. Just be sure you know exactly what you are looking at in the park. Everything has to go with you on the shuttles- all your own food and drink. Age 6-7 probably aren't going to be able to pack and carry much on their own. Hiking from outside the park, may offer more options for shorter outings.

When you say 6 hours in the park do you mean 6 hours total including getting off the bus and hiking? Then you won't get very far. There is a Toklat shuttle that takes 6 hours with rest stops but assuming you don't get off the bus. That will give you some chances to see wildlife but not as much as if you went to Fish Creek. But Fish Creek is 8 hours round trip on the bus, plus any hiking.

For hiking, best is probably to take the shuttle bus to your end stop then get off on the way back. That way you can gauge your kids' interest plus you will have seen the options for hiking on your way into the park.

Archived