Tlakeetna - McKinley Princess Questions

Landry

Can anyone give me a recommendation on things to do in the Talkeetna/McKinley Princess area?

My wife, parents and I will depart ANC on May 30 for a two night/ three day stay at the McKinley Princess lodge. I wanted to book the Denali Princess tour but it was unavailable for a 5/30 departure, so we will have to do the TWT tour the next time.

We booked the Devils Canyon jet boat tour through Princess Excursions for the last day, but I'm still looking for suggestions on the first two days.

To give you an idea of what we're looking for, the wife and I were interested in the Denali Wilderness Hike but its not being offered during our stay.

Any tour advice from the McKinley Princess or Talkeetna would be appreciated.

Terry

If you are not taking a tour into Denali NP what will you be doing there? That is a highlight of the trip to Denali. In any case, I would not suggest the TWT anyway - go to www.reservedenali.com and book the shuttle bus. If you are coming from Whittier to Denali on 30 May and Princess had the TWT planned that afternoon, you can easily make the 3pm Toklat shuttle. It is a 6 hour shuttle for $22.50. You just might need to figure out a way back to the Denali Princess Lodge before you leave on the shuttle. The lodge has a shuttle bus - check out how late they run. It is something like a 1 mile walk back from the Wilderness Access Center (where the shuttle drops you off) to the Denali Lodge from other posts on this board.

In Talkeetna, you can spend a few hours in the town. But another popular excursion in Talkeetna is flightseeing. You can find other threads that talk about this. Check how Princess is getting you from Denali to the McKinley Princess Lodge. If by train to Talkeetna, you are best to stay in Talkeetna then take the later bus from there to the McKinley lodge. If they are bussing you to the McKinley lodge you would waste more time transferring. The McKinley lodge is in the middle of nowhere.

For clairfication, there is little to do at this lodge. Hopefully you will get a McKinley view, which is about the only highlight of this remote location.

Three days is a LONG time to be here without your own transportation. There will be a shuttle offered by Princess to your nearest town, Talkeetna 50 miles away. I suggest you spend some time there. Highlight here are McKinley flights- which may be your only way to see the mt. if a priority. I especially like the summit flights with Talkeetna Aero. :) They are my top tour recommendation here. The jetboats were Ok, my opinion only.

My opinion only. I would only do one night here and spend the other day in Anchorage, since there is so much more to see and do. I'll assume you just booked the lodging/tranportation package from Princess?? Or Hopefully you have used http://www.toursaver.com for this booking as a 2 for 1??? I would cancel if you have not. They offer a 1 or 2 night offer.

FTI......I might not have explained myself well enough in the original post, but I wasn't able to book our tour all the way into the Denali Princess. We're spending our time at the McKinley Princess which as I understand is about 100 miles south of the park entrance.

Thanks for the heads up on the transfers to/from Talkeetna. We'll keep the suggestion in mind.

We will be there 5/26-5/27 before catching our cruise from Whittier. We have a rental car. Are there any golf courses close by? My friend has this thing about golfing late into the night in the close to midnight sun.

With a car, any suggestions?? We also could not get into the Denali Princess, our first choice. It seems we are a bit early for bus trips into Denali, not sure what we will do.

Loved all your suggestions so far.:D

We will be there 5/26-5/27 before catching our cruise from Whittier. We have a rental car. Are there any golf courses close by? My friend has this thing about golfing late into the night in the close to midnight sun.

With a car, any suggestions?? We also could not get into the Denali Princess, our first choice. It seems we are a bit early for bus trips into Denali, not sure what we will do.

Although you have your plans, there is misinformation here- for others- there are far more lodging considerations to look at besides Princess, which at Denali Park is so so in my opinion. Plenty with availability in this timeframe especially with a car. AND most certainly the shuttle buses and tour buses ARE running getting into the Park many miles. Late May can be even the best time for wildlife since the animals are lower and more concentrated in the open (nonsnow)areas for food. The Tolkat shuttle bus going 53 miles in for about $20 is well worth the trip in this timeframe and certainly one of the best Alaska bargains to consider.

There is a Golf Course in Healy, just outside of Denali park. http://www.blackdiamondgolf.com/ none that I know of in your touring area of Talkeetna??

You are definitely not too early for bus trips into the park. You are too early to go all the way to Wonder Lake or Fish Creek. But check out reservedenali.com for how far you can go on the shuttle bus on the dates you will be there.

There are lots of nice places to stay near Denali. Personally I like McKinley Creekside Cabins- 13 miles south of the park entrance. Clean, restaurant on premises, some units have kitchenettes.

Not sure about golf. You might check the Denali visitor guide at denalichamber.com

I was wondering about these buses into the park as I want to take the longest bus tour to see as much wildlife as I can, wonderlake, etc but how much stopping does the bus do so you can stretch, take pics and what about if you have to go to the bathroom?

I haven't been on a bus in years, do these buses give off fumes b/c that always made me sick?

I'll have to make sure I bring our own food too, right?

Thanks, CJ :) :)

I was wondering about these buses into the park as I want to take the longest bus tour to see as much wildlife as I can, wonderlake, etc but how much stopping does the bus do so you can stretch, take pics and what about if you have to go to the bathroom?

I haven't been on a bus in years, do these buses give off fumes b/c that always made me sick?

I'll have to make sure I bring our own food too, right?

Thanks, CJ :) :)

How far the busses go depends on when you are traveling. www.nps.gov/dena then look for shuttle bus reservation link. The bus goes to Wonder Lake on/after June 8. I highly recommend you book the bus to Wonder Lake and if you get tired of it (highly doubtful), you get off and take a different bus back. Through early August the mosquitos can be bad near Wonder Lake but bring 100% DEET and/or a mosquito net and you will be fine.

The bus stops about every 1-1/2 hours for a potty break. It also stops for wildlife when someone in the bus sees an animal. On the way west (i.e. toward Wonder Lake) you can ask the driver to stop pretty much anytime and they will. You can also get out of the bus quickly to take a photo and get back on that same bus (so long there is no wildlife in the area, then you can't get off the bus). On the eastbound journey they will stop for animals but generally not for as long and generally you can't get off then back on the same bus.

You can always get off one bus then on the next one (assuming there is room on the bus). I usually get on and off the shuttle busses all day in order to hike a bit and/or to have more time viewing wildlife (the busses stop for wildlife but if not for as long as you would like, you take the bus 1/2 mile further, get off, and take the next bus back).

I have not noticed bad fumes on the busses.

Yes, bring all your own food and drink. I generally take snack type food (trail mix, etc), easy lunches and maybe some fruit.

Archived