Oriana Fjords

Cabinboy1943

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this site and looking forward to being part of it.

This year we are on our sixth cruise with P&O in june to the Fjords. I would be grateful if anyone could answer a couple of questions.:confused:

In the past we have arrived at Southampton and boarded according to the colour of the card we were given. I thought I read somewhere that they now send you a boarding time. If this is the case do they stick to the time no matter how early you arrive?

The other question is about trips in Norway. Neither of us have a very good head for heights. On the other hand we want to see as much scenery as possible. Are the mountain roads really bad with sheer drops etc? We have done tours in other countries that have gone up quite high and enjoyed them, but Norway looks to be something else entirely.

Any tips or thoughts would be most welcome.

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this site and looking forward to being part of it.

This year we are on our sixth cruise with P&O in june to the Fjords. I would be grateful if anyone could answer a couple of questions.

In the past we have arrived at Southampton and boarded according to the colour of the card we were given. I thought I read somewhere that they now send you a boarding time. If this is the case do they stick to the time no matter how early you arrive?

The other question is about trips in Norway. Neither of us have a very good head for heights. On the other hand we want to see as much scenery as possible. Are the mountain roads really bad with sheer drops etc? We have done tours in other countries that have gone up quite high and enjoyed them, but Norway looks to be something else entirely.

Any tips or thoughts would be most welcome.

Hi Cabinboy,

Yes it is true they send you a time to embark. they start the proceedure much earlier now at about 12.30 with most people being on board in time for lunch, although you cabin may not be ready.

Do not spread this around but you do not have to walk the plank if you turn up early;). Of course suites and goldies get on first.

We are going on Oceana in August to the fjords for the first time so I cannot help with the driving query. You could always keep your eyes shut.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

:)Happy Cruising:)

Dai

I went to the fjords last year - worth every minute. I've been to worse places for vertical drops on trips.

Brilliant scenic cruise & tours, especially the Flam railway.

Never had any trouble with boarding when arriving at Southampton at noon.

Enjoy!

Hi DaiB

Thanks for the info re boarding. Unfortunately we are neither Suite or Goldie.but it would be nice to board in time for lunch.

I don't mind walking the plank, it's falling off the end of it I have a problem with. Keeping ones eyes shut is an option but not the ideal for viewing the scenery.:cool:

We have cruised on the Adonia and twice on the Oceana, lovely ships, have a great time.

Hi Welshgal

Thanks for the reply to trips in Norway. The Flam railway is one we are going to book. :) Maybe we should not be wimps and go for some of the mountain passes :confused: Who knows? we might even enjoy it:eek:

We have never had to wait that long to board, it was just this new system I wondered about.

May the seas be kind to you:)

Hi Welshgal

Thanks for the reply to trips in Norway. The Flam railway is one we are going to book. :) Maybe we should not be wimps and go for some of the mountain passes :confused: Who knows? we might even enjoy it:eek:

We have never had to wait that long to board, it was just this new system I wondered about.

May the seas be kind to you:)

Welshgirl,

We are going to do the Flam railway ourselves apparently there are a number of trains and unless you want to do the full tour of a second train and a bus with P&O it can be a lot cheaper.

The station and the pier are next to each other. Which helps me as I cannot walk far.

Happy cruising

:cool:

Dai

Cabinboy 1943 One trip is a must , from Gerainger, to the local moutain top. On the way up you stop and overlook Gerainger Fjord and the rock called the Eagles Nest, you can, if you feel brave enough go to this rock. Every cruise brochure shows this picture, the rock and fjord, but seeing it for real is fantastisc, Beware of the TROLLS though they like young people for dinner.

Hi Brian Raine

Thanks for your reply. I have seen the pictures you mentioned, beautiful but frightening. This is the problem with wanting to see as much as possible and having a problem with heights. Are the roads littered with sheer drops on the way up? I'm sorry to sound a bit of a wimp. We Have, on other cruises been up fairly high but I am lead to believe Norway is something entirely different.:eek:

On one count we will be OK, as, having passed more summers than we care to think about, we should be safe from the Trolls if their preference is for those of a more tender age.:rolleyes:

Kind Regards

Cabinboy

Cabinboy1943 - We have been to all of the ports you are going to apart from Andalsnes.

It was our best holiday yet and the most beautiful place, especially with the Midnight Sun! Do not forget your camera!

Here is an idea of what we did in each port:

Stavanger - Lysefjord Cruise - This left directly from the same berth as the ship (Make sure the waffle man is on your trip! Very funny) - The correct place to find the waffle man is at Helleran and his correct name is Tom.

Geiranger - Same as Brain suggested take the tour up through Geiranger and onto Mount Dalsnibba - Only a few hairy bends! Hold on to your seats!

Trondheim - We did a full day here, to the Lokken Mine, followed by a train ride, lunch at a restaurant and then a city tour. We wouldnt recommend the visit to the Lokken Mine - not as great as we thought it would be!

Ny Alsund/Spitsbergen - This was amazing! Make sure you have plenty to wrap up in, very cold and keep away from the Arctic Turns! (you will know what we mean when you see them).

No excursions here, you tender in, have a wonder around (takes only 30-45 mintues to see eveything), pick up a few souveniers, and look out for reindeer and polar bears!

Tromso - We did our own thing here, we took a bus to the cable car (you can get your bus & cable car ticket on the bus) for some great views of Tromso (It was a lovely day), followed by a short bus journey to the centre of town to have a look around then onto Polaris - an arctic museum.

Bergen - We went straight to the Funicular (It was quite a long walk, recommend getting a taxi if its a hot day or if you do not like to walk hills)

queued for around 10 minutes and again got an amazing view of Bergen whilst enjoying an ice cream (highly recommended)

We then ended the day by taking ourselves around town taking in all the sights and the fish market! (smelly)

Hope this helps? If you want to know anything else then please ask!

You will have a great time, we did!

:)

Hi E201

Many thanks for all the info, and for taking the trouble to post it for me. It is always a bit difficult whan you go somewhere for the first time. Inevitably when you get back someone tells you that you missed the best bits. With the advice you have kindly supplied we now have a head start and can't wait for the sailaway.

If we do the trip in Geiranger I might be found under the seat rather than holding on to it.

We are really looking forward to Spitsbergen, so different to anywhere we have been before. I have noted what to look out for:rolleyes:

I will certainly take you up on your offer if we think of anything else.

Thanks once again Happy cruising.:)

Cabinboy

A slightly off-the-wall suggestion for Geiranger if you don't like heights and are interested in being a little more active: When I was there a couple of years ago, I did a kayaking trip in the fjord. This was booked through the ship (I think it was the usual story of the ship buying all of the operator's capacity for the day). It was a great way to see some of the scenery around the corner from the town. It was helped by it being a wonderfully sunny day, although hindered by my personal ineptness in managing to fall in before we even got started.

Globaliser I must confess that your suggestion never even occurred to me. Sounds an interesting way to see the scenery. E201 friends seemed to have enjoyed it.I will have to investigate that.

Just think, if I started the trip with similar skill to your good self I could bathe in the warm glow that I had provided entertainment for the watching crowd. As you know there is always a crowd when one does that sort of thing. The problem is these days you could find yourself unexpectedly starring on Youtube if someone happened to video the episode.

Just think, if I started the trip with similar skill to your good self I could bathe in the warm glow that I had provided entertainment for the watching crowd. As you know there is always a crowd when one does that sort of thing. The problem is these days you could find yourself unexpectedly starring on Youtube if someone happened to video the episode.
We even had a friend sitting on the next dock, watching it all happen. He didn't take any photos. My partner thinks that was very remiss of him. :D

Archived