How high is this hanging bridge in Costa Rica?

chiledog

We were thinking of taking the Nature & Traditions at Bocuare Haven, but you have to walk across a hanging bridge and several of us are afraid cross an unsturdy bridge thousands of feet in the air. Has anyone done this? Can you tell me how high this bridge is?

Hi! We did a Princess shore excursion in Costa Rica which included walking accross hanging bridges, walking through the rain forest, etc. It was wonderful! What a beautiful country- and our guide was excellent (a former science teacher who loved birding, nature, and showing his country to visitors!).

Now for the bridge- I can't say your (potential) bridge is the same as our bridge. Our's wasn't thousands of feet high- but certainly hundreds (so still quite high). Although the bridge did have movement (swaying), the actual walking area (I mean the floor of the bridge) was solid and sturdy. The sides were mesh, but were quite high (4 feet?), so you couldn't easily topple over (unless you're 7 ft tall)! Let the guide know that you're nervous- he may be able to take you over individually- so that there's less swaying. However, you must go over the bridge to get back to the ship- you can't turn around and go back the way you came (the bus drops you off and then goes to the meeting place on the other mountain).

Hi again- the bridge isn't too long- I'm sure I could have walked it in a minute!- definitely not 5 minutes unless you're so terrified that you stop or go sooo slowly! However, I should have pointed out that our group did stop on the bridge to look for animals and to take pixs. You may want to let your guide know at the start of the trip that you don't want to stop on the bridge- once you get started, you'll probably just want to get to the other side! LOL So- he may have you go over first, or wait until everyone's done taking pixs, so you can keep moving!

As far as your 9 yr old- yes, as long as he's physically fit (this is a hike- up and down, etc). And assuming he likes the great outdoors. My DD would have loved it at that age! Now she would whine about the bugs and mud (and the lack of pina coladas and sun-she's 23!). Just remember to take a water bottle, wear decent shoes, take bug stuff (may or may not need it). Your particular excursion may have less hiking than ours (we were on Princess), but be prepared for at least some walking on uneven trails with some altitude changes.

Since animal/bird viewing is a part of this excursion, bring binoculars (and show your son how to use them before the excursion). If he's the one who might be afriad- put him in charge of taking pixs or something like that to keep his mind occupied!

Have a wonderful cruise and a great visit to Costa Rica.

We were thinking of taking the Nature & Traditions at Bocuare Haven, but you have to walk across a hanging bridge and several of us are afraid cross an unsturdy bridge thousands of feet in the air. Has anyone done this? Can you tell me how high this bridge is?

I just got back from Puntarenas Costa Rica where I did ziplining. If these hanging bridges are any indication (we had two of them), they are ok (I have a bit of fear of heights). They are a couple of a hundred feet high and as an earlier poster said, it sways a little, they only let 3 or 4 people go across at a time, but I felt secure, it didn't tip over at a weird angle if that is what you are worried about. Hold on to the railings, the best thing you can do is not to bounce and just walk at an easy slow pace, you'll be across in a minute or two at most.

Good luck!

Archived