Ryndam - Sea Days - Bridge Sessions?

Ducky61

It varies from ship to ship. We have been on ships where there was abridge lecturer who had a class most sea days and a regular playing session in the afternoon. Other ships just had regular, unhosted bridge playing.

The only tournament bridge we have had on a ship was a couple of years ago on one of the Vista class ships. They came as a group and played all morning, afternoon and evening. No one out side of their group could join in.

Why go on a cruise if you're going to sit inside a little room and play bridge? Forgive me, but that sounds so depressing. I guess it does pass the time though.

Oh, if playing bridge every free moment I had during 4 years of college kept me interested, I can imagine it would be good for a few hours on a sea day:D It's been years since DH and I have played bridge (none of our friends play)...we would LOVE to play on board.

Ducky, as promised (never played bridge in my life) from Ryndam's daily program:

On the first sea day out of San Diego, there was (is) a Bridge lecture at 10:00 AM in the Queen's Room on Deck 8 and from 1:00-4:00 PM, Duplicate and Party Bridge players met (meet) in the Explorers Lounge (also on Deck 8) - Duplicate and Party???? Sounds like a fun time was had by all;)

No "organized" Bridge on the second sea day (probably still recovering from the Duplication and Partying!)

On the third (and last) sea day, there was (is) a Bridge lecture at 9:00 AM in the Queen's Room on Deck 8 and a Final Bridge tournament at 1:30 PM also in the Queens Room.

Looks like also in the Queens Room, there was (is) "un-hosted" (what happened to the host??:eek: ) Bridge play on all port days from 2:00-4:00 PM - Make sure you're outta there by 4:15 though because Bill W's many friends have the Queens Room then and that might not be a good combination!;)

Enjoy your cruise!

I am not sure what the bridge schedule will be on your sailing, but friends of ours (he teaches bridge in San Diego regularly and is quite good) were on the late March cruise. He was the bridge instructor, and they said on previous cruises where he had been the instructor they structured lessons on "at sea" days and also had bridge (less formal, but he was there and I am sure gave any asked for advice) on port days. Not sure if this helps, but I am including it for whatever it is worth.

Hi All,

On most cruise ships there are Bridge Directors who have to meet certain standards. (Be a Life Master, an accredited Teacher and a certified Director of the ACBL) I say most because Celebrity recently cut back on their bridge programs and only provide Bridge Directors for TA, Hawaii and Panama Canal cruises. Typically, the Bridge Director will teach/lecture for two hours in the morning of "At Sea" days and Direct a duplicate game in the afternoon. Members of the ACBL can earn points just as at their home Clubs which are submitted to the ACBL upon the Directors return home. They will also bring supplies for "party" and "rubber" bridge players.

For those of you who don't play bridge, this probably sounds like a foreign language, it sort of is. For those of you who do play I know how much you enjoy the game on cruises.

Regards,

Shannon

Archived