Juneau Helicopter Help?

HALNEWBY

Hello Everyone,

I am thinking of doing the helicopter tour in Juneau to the Mendenhall Glacier. Specifically the one with the dogsled or the one with the trekking. Anyone done this? Is it worth the splurge? Should I do it with HAL or private companies like northstar? First time cruise Ever!! Oosterdam 5/19/07

We haven't been to Alaska yet we leave in early May but based on comments on the boards we decided to go with NorthStarTrekking. I wanted something that was a little longer on the glacier. We're doing the 3 1/2 hr tour with 1 hr walking on the glacier. I see we'll still be on our trip when you sail so I can't give you a review. There seems to be a lot of good info from those that have done tours on their own.

Enjoy whichever one you do.

Thanks for the response, I would definetly like to hear from you when u get back. I am leaning towards the trekking since I feel that it gives u a closer look at the glacier. My wife wants to the dogsled, have to convince her!!

If you happen to have a full day in Anchorage, there is a drive up glacier trekking option that is excellent and a fraction of the fly in costs.

Northstar Trekking out of Juneau gets consistant rave reviews. However a common comment is to consider going for as long as you can afford, most always the one hour tours are reported to be too short and same is usually the description with the 2 hour trek. I can definately see this point. It takes time to get your "trekking" feet, putting on and off the equiptment eats up time, so does going with a group. At the least I would book a 2 hour trek.

I did the drive up- and was out for 4 hours- 5 hours with the booting up, and walking to the glacier. AND time flew by. :)

The glacier dog sled tour is more on snow. It also is the most canceled Alaska excursion. Gets rave reviews as well. For clairfication, you do not drive your own sled, there is a professional driver that you ride behind.

I book independent.

If you happen to have a full day in Anchorage, there is a drive up glacier trekking option that is excellent and a fraction of the fly in costs.

Northstar Trekking out of Juneau gets consistant rave reviews. However a common comment is to consider going for as long as you can afford, most always the one hour tours are reported to be too short and same is usually the description with the 2 hour trek. I can definately see this point. It takes time to get your "trekking" feet, putting on and off the equiptment eats up time, so does going with a group. At the least I would book a 2 hour trek.

I did the drive up- and was out for 4 hours- 5 hours with the booting up, and walking to the glacier. AND time flew by. :)

The glacier dog sled tour is more on snow. It also is the most canceled Alaska excursion. Gets rave reviews as well. For clairfication, you do not drive your own sled, there is a professional driver that you ride behind.

I book independent.

Thanks for the response!! Planning to do it Juneau. Any company that u suggest I should use?

Thanks for the response!! Planning to do it Juneau. Any company that u suggest I should use?

I saw many companies on the juneau visitors website and I got a good deal with TEMSCO helicopters.

It is definitely a beter deal to do a tour through an independant operator rather than the cruiseline.:)

I saw many companies on the juneau visitors website and I got a good deal with TEMSCO helicopters.

It is definitely a beter deal to do a tour through an independant operator rather than the cruiseline.:)

Temsco was my number one option since they have a permit to land on Mendenhall, but I finally went with a orca enterprises/coastal helicopters combo, for time issues. From what I understand temsco is the oldest operator so I think you should be fine...What I really wanted was to do glacier trekking for 4.5 hrs then the whale whatching for 3.5 hrs which added to 8hrs. I felt this would probably be cuttin it to tight for my 11:00am to 9:30pm dock time

Archived