PO Aloha - 4/1/07 cruise observations

jerseyjk

in kona is that where the black beach is?

There's also a black sand beach on Maui at Wai'anapanapa State Park if you happen to be driving the road to Hana. (If you're not then I wouldn't recommend making the trip just for the beach). The park is very scenic with Lava formations, caves, etc.

nikon03-270.jpg

nikon03-284.jpg

My husband and I, both 50 are contemplating the Tubing the Ditch Excursion. Did you do this excursion through the ship? Did you find the mosquitoes to be bad? They love me!! You mentioned that the views were not that spectacular, what was your favorite part of this excursion?

Thanks for the great, informative review!! I've taken lots of notes!!

My husband and I, both 50 are contemplating the Tubing the Ditch Excursion. Did you do this excursion through the ship? Did you find the mosquitoes to be bad? They love me!! You mentioned that the views were not that spectacular, what was your favorite part of this excursion?

What I meant by the views not being spectacular was that you're basically down in an irrigation ditch. The sides of the ditch that keep in the water also keep you from seeing out into the countryside. That and you float through several (5?) tunnels (which is why you have the funny hat with the flashlight on it). The views of Mt. Waialeale and the unspoiled land on the way up are very dramatic. I posted some additional pictures of the trip here.

I couldn't really give you a favorite part. The whole thing was just a new and different experience.

EDIT: No I didn't find the mosquitos bad, but my daughter ended up with several bites that bothered her the rest of the week. Bring spray for sure.

We did not do this excursion through the ship. It was like $20 more through the ship (to cover transportation) and they did it early morning on the second day. I had a rental car so I opted to do it directly. I took the last time of the day (2:30) on the first day to get in a morning helicopter flight on the second day. I must say, the sun in the afternoon helped. The water is a bit chilly, but the extra cost for doing it through the ship is not a bad deal if you don't have a rental.

Well that makes a lot of sense!! I will be sure to take along plenty of bug spray. We will probably do the excursion with the ship because that is the only day that we will not have a car.

Thanks again, I don't know how I would ever be prepared for a cruise without these boards!! My TA is great but I sometimes give her information that she did not know about from the boards!!

Archived