Celebrity Cancels Icy Strait Point Stop

Vashtie

From experience, I woudn't count on getting any OBC that's from Celebrity back if you don't use it. Unless they're different from some other lines. Nancy

Nancy,

I was on the Millennium transatlantic cruise last November that skipped a port due to pod problems. The letter I received from Celebrity about the OBC I would receive, specifically stated that any unused portion of the OBC would be credited back to me at the conclusion of the cruise.

Hello everyone,

Have a question about My Infinity cruise coming up. I am traveling with a friend to Alaska this spring. My travel agent just called and said that my refund from Celebrity for missing the Icy Strait part of my trip was only $50. I read where someone here, who is on the same cruise that I am, received $200 for compensation from Celebrity. Don't get me wrong, I do think that $200 per person would be at least in the area of fair treatment from Celebrity, but $50 would be far from right. Should I call my travel agent and tell them that I know what the compensation is supposed to be?

If you're referring to the May 7 sailing from San Francisco, I read on another thread where the compensation for missing Icy Strait Point is as follows:

$100 per stateroom ($50 per person) for inside or outside cabins.

$200 per stateroom ($100 per person) for balcony cabins.

$300 per stateroom ($150 per person) for suites.

Are you and your friend traveling in either an inside or outside cabin? If so, then you were told correct ... $50 per person. Also, this is not a refund of your cruise fare, but rather a shipboard credit that will be placed on your on-board spending account.

I'm also on this cruise and when I received the phone call about the OBC I was glad and shocked. I've been on cruses years ago where you received nothing if you missed a port, and I completely understand with this ship that they've had ongoing mechanical problems and they should have let everyone know that they're might be changes so they could decide for themselves.

Although we'll miss ISP I'm really not upset as I look at as hopefully making another cruise to Alaska that will have ISP in it. Also with this cruise being so port intensive I'm sure we'll be quite happy.

Did I say I'm a glass half full person:D , I just like cruising.

For those on here that are sailing on 5/7/07, please join us on our roll call, we have a great group going.

So are all sailings this summer on Infinity, NOT doing Icy Strait Point?

Who is getting a ship board credit? All passengers on your sailing? OR are all Infinity to Alaska this summer who are missing Icy Strait?

I booked directly throught X, and haven't heard anything about it until now...

Who is getting a ship board credit? All passengers on your sailing? OR are all Infinity to Alaska this summer who are missing Icy Strait?

I believe it's just the May 7 sailing, which is the cruise just prior to the ship going into drydock. But check w/Celebrity to confirm. If true, then unfortunately the title of the thread is misleading as it would only apply to one sailing as opposed to the entire season.

Beav is correct, as of right now, the only sailing affected is the May 7 repositioning to Vancouver sailings.

Well that is good, I will have to call.

So this drydock. Does anyone think they will finally fix the pod problem or is that something that they Can't fix.

You know, I was debating about HAL or X, and I went with X because I liked my trip last year, but when I read about missed ports and STILL having pod problems, it makes me wonder if I made a mistake???

I don't think you made a mistake. I enjoyed both previous HAL and X cruises, but X is one step above, albeit a small step. They are both fabulous lines. Funny thing is, never had a port canceled on X except for the Icy Strait one coming up....did have a cancellation on HAL which they compensated us for with extra goodies in our room. Just part of cruising and am surprised that X came up with an even more generous offer for one canceled port. I understand that when RCI canceled all their ports down in Bermuda one year, there was absolutely no compensation. I recall the story of a bride and groom that missed their entire planned ceremony, as did all their friends onboard, as the ship did not go much further south than NY. Wow!! A week at sea without anything to do??? ha!! Maybe then, that would be a bit upsetting. However, not the case with either HAL or X....I think it is wise to try them all and chose for yourself what you like and dislike.

Well Thank you

I know my parents are very excited to go and I am so excited to take them. I feel like the roles have reversed.

As a child your parents take you to your first time at Disneyland and watch the magic and the sparkle in your eyes.

Well, I am so happy to say I TOOK my parents to Walt Disney World for their first time when they were in their late 70's and now I get to take them to Alaska in their early 80's it is kinda nice.

I know they will love it, my dad said he doesn't even need to get off the ship. It is difficult for my mom to get around, so they might just do 1 excursion, but to pick the best one???

Thanks again

Archived